Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 03:36 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,185,086 times

Advertisements

I am just gonna assume that it is the result of the Californians once again choosing another West Coast city to move to and to retire to and etc. I recently heard that Idaho is the second most popular state to move to in a country right now. From what state are most of those transplants coming from I wonder? I remember just two years ago you can get an apartment all day long we’ll under $1000 all over Idaho Falls and Pocatello. Now the majority of apartments are well over $1000 a month. I was reading another article about how the homeless population is now exploding in Idaho as a result of this mass influx of people with big money buying big homes and renting big places. The article was saying from some of the residents that most of the new apartment complexes going up are all $1200 and up and even as high as Seattle. Obviously catering to the well off elitist folks transplanting into the state. Looks like Pocatello and Idaho Falls are on their way within the next year to be just as expensive as Boise and all three will soon be within a couple years just as expensive is Seattle. All of this while the homeless population all over the extremely expensive West Coast is exploding and bursting at the seams and the affordable housing shortage and crisis is off the charts. It’s just a matter of a few more years and this entire country is going to be unaffordable and only affordable to the elitists. I wonder how do people feel about this out there in the land of the rich and the poor? What would Jesus do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2022, 07:08 PM

705 posts, read 504,502 times
Jesus would lay a guilt trip on all the rich elites, but it wouldn’t work. Because Money is their God and they worship Money over their fellow man, just the way it is and always will be.

And yes, the middle class is shrinking in the US, wealth is getting more and more concentrated in the hands of the few….and….they like it that way. It’s a long way off, but eventually it will come to a head and it will end badly. Think Venezuela or the Balkins. Mean while, enjoy what’s left of old Idaho before the Californians destroy it.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:43 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,637,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
I am just gonna assume that it is the result of the Californians once again choosing another West Coast city to move to and to retire to and etc. I recently heard that Idaho is the second most popular state to move to in a country right now. From what state are most of those transplants coming from I wonder? I remember just two years ago you can get an apartment all day long we’ll under $1000 all over Idaho Falls and Pocatello. Now the majority of apartments are well over $1000 a month. I was reading another article about how the homeless population is now exploding in Idaho as a result of this mass influx of people with big money buying big homes and renting big places. The article was saying from some of the residents that most of the new apartment complexes going up are all $1200 and up and even as high as Seattle. Obviously catering to the well off elitist folks transplanting into the state. Looks like Pocatello and Idaho Falls are on their way within the next year to be just as expensive as Boise and all three will soon be within a couple years just as expensive is Seattle. All of this while the homeless population all over the extremely expensive West Coast is exploding and bursting at the seams and the affordable housing shortage and crisis is off the charts. It’s just a matter of a few more years and this entire country is going to be unaffordable and only affordable to the elitists. I wonder how do people feel about this out there in the land of the rich and the poor? What would Jesus do?
Jesus being a carpenter by trade, would have build his own house, on some land that nobody wanted.

Old 01-15-2022, 09:36 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Apparently, the new arrivals came from all over the country in 2021, according to a realtor who wants to be my agent if I ever decide to sell my house. He calls about once a month.

Idaho Falls was already growing boom boom before it became the hot spot in the nation to move to.
Most of the folks were coming from California, Washington, Nevada, and Illinois earlier, but people who lived in other parts of Idaho were moving here too, along with folks who lived here in the Snake River Valley in the smaller towns.
There was no single state that was the largest.
The growth was actually larger in Bonneville County than inside I.F. city limits.

By mid- 2020, there were lots more coming from the mid-west; Michigan, Wisconsin, etc. in addition to the earlier states. This coincided with fewer young adults who were born here leaving for other places. That's when the city really started growing real fast.

The reason why apartments are so high in Idaho Falls is due to there are so few of them here.
The housing is still tight, but the new sales are slowing down a little. Right now a person can rent a 2 bdr. house for around $300 less than a studio apartment.

Idaho Falls is one of those towns where no one wanted to live in apartment building, so there were only a few of them ever built for a very long time. But there are really a lot of homes here that have basement apartments.

While more apartments were built in the 2000s to present, it seems a lot of new arrivals want a small new house instead.
Those are the fastest-selling right now.

I don't take about rentals, so I have no idea what that situation is.

Last edited by banjomike; 01-15-2022 at 10:01 PM..

Old 01-16-2022, 05:41 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,191,211 times
Quote:
It’s just a matter of a few more years and this entire country is going to be unaffordable and only affordable to the elitists. I wonder how do people feel about this out there in the land of the rich and the poor? What would Jesus do?
Move to Iowa.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M84517-41783

Last edited by smpliving; 01-16-2022 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: Added to post

Old 01-16-2022, 07:35 AM

269 posts, read 329,332 times
Quote:
I am just gonna assume that it is the result of the Californians once again choosing another West Coast city to move to and to retire to and etc.
As BanjoMike said, it's not just California.

Quote:
I was reading another article about how the homeless population is now exploding in Idaho as a result of this mass influx of people with big money buying big homes and renting big places.
I haven't seen any such "explosion" in Idaho. And I sure don't see how people "buying big homes" results in any influx of homeless people.
Quote:
...all three will soon be within a couple years just as expensive is Seattle.
I think your excessive extrapolation is unfounded.

Quote:
It’s just a matter of a few more years and this entire country is going to be unaffordable and only affordable to the elitists. I wonder how do people feel about this out there in the land of the rich and the poor?
The "entire country" is not going to be unaffordable, but the widening gap between the rich and the poor IS indeed a problem in this country. An unsolved problem.

Old 01-16-2022, 07:36 AM

269 posts, read 329,332 times
Quote:
I wonder how do people feel about this...
BTW, what kind of guitar do you have?

Old 01-16-2022, 09:28 AM

60 posts, read 38,532 times
Quote:
Idaho Falls is over 600 miles from the closest coastline. Definitely not a west coast city. Definitely not a homeless friendly climate either, not that it changes much in today's world. I've read (it was a few years ago) that largest percentages of people who move here are from Washington, Utah and in state so to single out Californians is statitstically incorrect. Sadly, affordability of single family homes is becoming more out of reach every day. The rental market is a shadow of the housing market and prices are increasing too fast for people to keep up with.

Old 01-16-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpliving View Post
That little dump shack for 99k? Sounds like someone’s baking mud pies in Iowa.

Last edited by volosong; 01-16-2022 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: no profanity, implied or expressed

Old 01-16-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
As BanjoMike said, it's not just California.

I haven't seen any such "explosion" in Idaho. And I sure don't see how people "buying big homes" results in any influx of homeless people.

I think your excessive extrapolation is unfounded.

The "entire country" is not going to be unaffordable, but the widening gap between the rich and the poor IS indeed a problem in this country. An unsolved problem.
Extra extra. Read all about it. Idaho is the next California. Sound off the warning bells. I believe the country will ultimately become unaffordable to the middle and low income classes. It’s a matter of time. What will America look like in 5 to 10 years?:

Rich folks with fat wallets and big homes. Middle class folks with not enough income and living in shacks, mobile homes, and studio apts. Low income folks with a couple of dollars for pizza, a hotdog, and a cheap prepaid cell phone while living at the Union gospel mission homeless shelter. That’s the new America. Thank your fellow Americans for it. They love you.

https://www.kpvi.com/news/local_news...98cc42ffb.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ida...89908.amp.html

https://idahocapitalsun.com/2021/07/...dable-housing/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls