U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,380 times

Advertisements

**I don't want this to get ugly, but I am really curious to see how interracial couples/families are preceived in Idaho.

My husband (who is from Africa) has been offered a job in Idaho Falls. We are a interracial family and I am worried we won't fit in. From what I gather, less than 1% of IF is AA. I just don't want my child to be exposed to any negativity because of her heritage. We will stick out like a sore thumb???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 05:39 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,147,809 times
This probably isn't very helpful, but when I was looking at maybe buying property in that area in 2001, I had similar concerns, esp. when looking at the racial breakdown of the schools. I ended up talking to someone at the University of Idaho at Pocatello, who if I recall correctly was in the closest department to what would be Ethnic Studies in California, and I was really assured that despite the lack of the kind of diversity one finds in places like SF, that the degree of racism and discrimination is lower than in many places in California. I havn't lived there yet myself, and am caucasian, so that's all I can contribute, but maybe calling the Student Union at a university and asking to speak with members of any ethnic based student groups might help. A visit wouldn't hurt!

Old 05-21-2008, 07:13 AM

4,959 posts, read 16,996,717 times
I don't think you'll have any issues. I grew up in Central California where there were racial slurs and undertones and I've never witnessed that here.

In fact, there are some blended familes that I've seen through work and just about town.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:13 PM

210 posts, read 895,755 times
My sister in law has an interracial family in Idaho Falls and doesn't have many issues. Your experience may vary, but if you aren't looking for problems you won't find many. Not really a big deal.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:15 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,312,654 times
Smile Visit, Get Contact Names, I Don't Foresee a Problem.

I agree with both Twin Prism and Cleosmom.

Besides their comments, I think a key factor that doesn't always show up on the graphs, is how many families in the area adopt children from different countries.

While AA's are listed around 1%, that is about 1,000 people for Bonneville County (don't just look at Idaho Falls, include Ammon too). County population is over 105,000. Most likely there are some who would have similar situations and perspectives to yours and your husband.

Mom2onecutie, first I like your user name! More importantly, the best suggestion I can give you is go visit Idaho Falls and see how it feels for you. Get in touch ahead of time with organizations/churches etc. where you presently live and see if they can give you names of contact people in Bonneville County.

I think most residents are more interested of whether you would be a good neighbor or not vs. the race or color of a child or adult's skin. Kids can be cruel - that happens in all 50 states. Unfortunately, ignorant people also live in all 50 states. I wouldn't make any decision based on one experience. I'd try to get the feel for the general area.

I'm a strong believer either an area feels right or not to those who move. I suspect you'll know when you visit.

BTW - if you search the threads, there was a very similar question asked last year. You may find some tips from that thread.

Good luck in finding what is right for you and your family! Keep us updated, it is always nice to hear what those visiting think/observe.

MSR

Old 06-02-2008, 09:01 PM

44 posts, read 154,424 times
I had a roommate from Ghana and lived just north of I.F. He said that he didn't really feel any racial prejudices.

One thing that your husband may have to get use to is young children staring at him. I remember when I was 5 years old seeing a black man at McDonald's for the first time in my life (or atleast the first time I really recognized one as having different colored skin than myself). I was so intrigued that I kept staring out of curiousity. I've seen a lot of children do the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: