Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 09:22 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times

Advertisements

Pocatello is one of the most liberal cities in east Idaho. Somewhat due to Idaho State University. But keep in mind the area is mostly conservative, just at a somewhat lower level than Idaho Falls or Rexburg. I lived in both areas and preferred Poky. More mountainous and just a general better vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2022, 09:27 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,005,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Pocatello is one of the most liberal cities in east Idaho. Somewhat due to Idaho State University. But keep in mind the area is mostly conservative, just at a somewhat lower level than Idaho Falls or Rexburg. I lived in both areas and preferred Poky. More mountainous and just a general better vibe.
Sounds good.

Old 09-26-2022, 08:14 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
Reply test. Because I have apparently been banned on other threads. ??? Don’t understand. Perhaps mods can explain, but expect no answer.

Old 10-26-2022, 08:04 AM

524 posts, read 152,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It's a very old nickname the natives of the Upper Snake River Valley have used forever, including Pocatello residents.

No implications in the name, except to outsiders and some newbies who don't know our vernacular history.

Many of our cities have nicknames everyone uses; IF (Idaho Falls), Twin (Twin Falls). CDA (Coeur d'Alene) Sugar (Sugar City). There are many derogatory city nicknames as well that the natives use, but I won't mention them here.

And I'll bet there's a bunch of humor and some interesting history bound up in those names, too!

I appreciate your efforts to keep the thread clean (and all the great information you pour out!) but if you care to dm me on those more colorful names, I'd be much obliged!

Old 10-26-2022, 02:15 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,005,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
You won't have acceptance problems. Pocatello is the home of Idaho State University; there are students of all races who attend, and Pocatello was an important railroad junction. The railroad porters established a black community there a century ago, and many of their families still live there. There are also many Asian families, mostly Japanese, who have lived in this region for a very long time as well.

The weather is extreme. Pocatello lies in a hole, surrounded by mountains, so it's always a few degrees warmer than nearby Idaho Falls, but you can expect a month's worth of temps in the 20s and below every winter, typically in January and February, but we have sunnier winters here than up north. In the cold months, the sunny days are often the coldest, but a little cloud cover will change that quite a bit.
There are temperature inversions here, where Pocatello will actually be colder than the tops of the surrounding hills as the dense cold air pools in the low places.

Poky will be hotter in the summers. 89 in Idaho Falls will be 92 in Poky. The nights are warmer as well. (But there are few very warm nights like there are in N. Carolina- high 40s timid 50s is common at night. Idaho is a very dry state.

Winter is coming later now than in the 20th century, and they are unpredictable. Some years have had heavy snowfall, while other winters have been very dry. Spring weather has been colder longer and is as unpredictable as the winters.

Take it as a given that you'll have to learn how to drive on icy roads here. You'll also have to learn how to dress warmly year round. Even in hot summer, the nights can become quite cold, and our mountains are always cold. Poky may be lower than other localities, but it's still a lot higher here than North Carolina.

All of southern Idaho is in drought, but Pocatello gets a bit more moisture due to some prevailing Pacific wind currents.

Fire is a given every summer. Almost all will be range fires, as the surrounding area not heavily forested. Range fires tend to burn more quickly than forest fires, but they are quicker to be extinguished as well, as they are easier to fight.

If a wildfire breaks out, homes on the surrounding hills are more likely to be threatened that those that are in the city limits. Fire moves uphill first.
Widfire smoke has been a serious problem for the past 4 years. The wind currents have brought the California wildfire smoke up here, and since Poky is sheltered, the smoke pools and settles until there is some sustained wind strong enough to clear the air. Some summers have been worse than others, but in this continued drought, a locally regional fire's smoke could pool over Poky too.

Though I've lived all my life in Idaho Falls, I like Pocatello. It's a quiet, family-oriented town like most are here, but it has a fairly lively arts and performance community due to the University, and the college draws quite a few touring acts.
It's a well-established city and for a very long time, was the largest city in the region by a bit. Idaho Falls and Pocatello have both been major hub cities in this area forever. IF serves the north and eastern part of the corridor, and Pocatello serves the south and western part. The service areas of both are quite large.

As was mentioned, the housing prices have gone nuts here, everywhere in Idaho. I wouldn't come expecting to find a bargain, even in the small outlying communities. But you know how it is; bargains are relative. I know N. Carolina is growing too.

I think that other than the dry climate and the differences in geography, and the smaller size, I think you would find it has similarities to Raleigh.

Many years ago, I spent quite a lot of time in Raleigh, and I've often thought N. Carolina felt more like home to me than Virginia or the Chesapeake.
Speaking of Idaho State University, there is an area with fairly modern newer homes there just above the hospital (Hospital Way) not far from the assisted living place with homes up against the hills and that looks to be an interesting and a good neighborhood. It's hilly and not flat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: