Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 12:50 PM

138 posts, read 266,104 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We're moving to the Teton Valley this summer from the mtns of central Washington. Very excited!

I have lived in mountain country half of my life, so not overly concerned with any animals... Yes, I am aware of the larger animals, and precautions to take... but in this case, I'm interested to know about the other more pesty critters.

I just want to be prepared, mainly for the 3 pups we have... so I can expect to get them the appropriate preventative treatments. I know often times higher elevation/cooler/drier climates sometimes do not have some of the critters often found in the lowlands/wetter climates.

So...Was wondering if anyone can definitely confirm the presence (or not) of the following pests...

1. Are there fleas?
2. Ticks?
3. Rattlesnakes?
4. Magnitude of mosquitoes

Yes, I could call a vet.. that wouldn't be as fun.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 03:30 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowave View Post
Hi,

We're moving to the Teton Valley this summer from the mtns of central Washington. Very excited!

I have lived in mountain country half of my life, so not overly concerned with any animals... Yes, I am aware of the larger animals, and precautions to take... but in this case, I'm interested to know about the other more pesty critters.

I just want to be prepared, mainly for the 3 pups we have... so I can expect to get them the appropriate preventative treatments. I know often times higher elevation/cooler/drier climates sometimes do not have some of the critters often found in the lowlands/wetter climates.

So...Was wondering if anyone can definitely confirm the presence (or not) of the following pests...

1. Are there fleas?
2. Ticks?
3. Rattlesnakes?
4. Magnitude of mosquitoes

Yes, I could call a vet.. that wouldn't be as fun.

Thanks!
Fleas are possible, ticks more likely and big yes on the rattlers. Mosquitos are also a yes in areas of standing water. Speak to your vet and have them give the rattle snake vaccine (different from the anti-venom) along with a systemic or an oral preventive against fleas/ticks/heartworm/mosquitos.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:05 AM

138 posts, read 266,104 times
Thanks for the info... Yeah, we've been getting the dogs the rattlsnake vaccine for years now since all the places we've live have had some. Thankfully, never been bitten... but had a couple close calls on the trail. Just got them this years shots about a month or so ago. I also plan to visit the vet in Driggs when we settle in and get more of the scoop.

thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: