U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 12:57 PM

72 posts, read 148,758 times

Advertisements

My family is looking to relocate to Idaho within the next year from Florida. We are looking closely at Rexburg and Idaho Falls. My husband is a mail carrier and we are looking for a less humid climate and a place with four seasons (instead of the 2 here - hot and hotter)

We have three children, ages 15, 3 and 1. Everything I have seen so far suggests that Rexburg is a nice place with a low crime rate, etc. although it appears Idaho Falls may be little more diverse (?)

If there is anyone out there who has relocated to either location recently and could let me know what they like, what they don't like, etc. I would appreciate it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 01:52 PM

Also, I forgot to mention, we are planning on renting when we move, so are there any particular sides of town in Idaho Falls or Rexburg that we should avoid? Any advice you all may have would be great. Thanks!

Old 10-25-2008, 04:51 PM

4,958 posts, read 16,995,056 times
Rexburg is a college town, home to BYU-Idaho. Most folks from there come to IF to do major shopping although there are grocery stores and a Walmart there. Couldn't tell you about where not to live there.

Idaho Falls is becoming a cozy cove to not only mom and pop establishments, but the big box stores and eateries as well. It has a mall along with other big box stores; Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart (two supercenters), Kmart, a Walgreens on nearly every corner and of course the up and coming Taylor's Crossing downtown.

Yes, IF is more diverse when it comes to races, religion and the age of the people residing here. If you were to choose IF to rent in there are slightly rough pockets throughout the town, unlike large metros where you could simply say exactly where to stay away from. I would not wish to live on the lettered streets myself. Nor the area that is known as Belaire.

If you're renting with pets you'll find some road blocks as there aren't many available, I'd say 90% of the landlords don't allow pets.

I have friends with kids in both school districts and most seem to favor District 93 (eastern side of town) over District 91.

Has he investigated to see if either area is hiring/accepting transfers?

Old 10-26-2008, 10:41 AM

12,644 posts, read 19,320,573 times
If you are not mormon don't move to Rexburg.... unless you don't mind being whispered and talked about. Yes it is a nice town that is predominately mormon so is the college...

Old 10-26-2008, 11:01 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,221,818 times
We almost moved to IF a few years ago but a job op fell through at the last minute. We were just about to close on a house, but were able to back out. I prefer N. Idaho, but we would have been very happy in IF I think.. Its got everything you need in a city, and the people were very nice.
The only downside if you consider it a downside is no large airport in the area.. I think you have to go to Salt Lake City for that still. Good luck on your move! I know a few people who have moved from Fl. and they are very happy they did.;-)

Old 10-26-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace_Rinaldi View Post
We almost moved to IF a few years ago but a job op fell through at the last minute. We were just about to close on a house, but were able to back out. I prefer N. Idaho, but we would have been very happy in IF I think.. Its got everything you need in a city, and the people were very nice.
The only downside if you consider it a downside is no large airport in the area.. I think you have to go to Salt Lake City for that still. Good luck on your move! I know a few people who have moved from Fl. and they are very happy they did.;-)
Darn it all, could have a cuppa with you had you moved to IF

IF does have an airport, however some folks prefer to drive three hours south down to Salt Lake City to save money. If you get free parking, sure it might be worth the drive, however I prefer once I land to be just 10 minutes to my home and not another hike down the Interstate.

Once folks come to grips and fly out of IF rather than SLC then it would have a chance to attract more flights and airlines to the airport and rive the cost down a bit, but no one seems to get that theory

Old 10-26-2008, 12:13 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,221,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Darn it all, could have a cuppa with you had you moved to IF

IF does have an airport, however some folks prefer to drive three hours south down to Salt Lake City to save money. If you get free parking, sure it might be worth the drive, however I prefer once I land to be just 10 minutes to my home and not another hike down the Interstate.

Once folks come to grips and fly out of IF rather than SLC then it would have a chance to attract more flights and airlines to the airport and rive the cost down a bit, but no one seems to get that theory
Ahhh, I guess my friend that goes to SLC for airport is just being cheap..HA!! I agree also, after a long flight, a long drive would not be fun.. I still go to IF fairly often CM, we could still have a "cuppa" sometime..I'll be sure to shoot ya a DM next time we do.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:54 PM

Thank you all for the info. To Miborn . . . I was baptized Mormon, but no longer attend church. I am just looking for a nice place to raise my kids. Where I live now used to be a good neighborhood, but recently has taken a turn for the worse with a lot of drugs and escalating violence. My husband and I are planning a trip early next year to check things out in IF and Rexburg. We will be looking into rentals and my husband will probably touch base with the local post offices. I am fortunate to work from home and so the local job market is not an issue for me. As for the airport. . . I agree that it is tough to drive for 3 hours following a long flight, but we don't fly that often . . . we are more roadtrip people . . .so that's not really a factor. Again, thank you for your kindness in responding to my post and I can't wait to visit.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:00 PM

12,644 posts, read 19,320,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiloosMom View Post
Thank you all for the info. To Miborn . . . I was baptized Mormon, but no longer attend church. I am just looking for a nice place to raise my kids. Where I live now used to be a good neighborhood, but recently has taken a turn for the worse with a lot of drugs and escalating violence. My husband and I are planning a trip early next year to check things out in IF and Rexburg. We will be looking into rentals and my husband will probably touch base with the local post offices. I am fortunate to work from home and so the local job market is not an issue for me. As for the airport. . . I agree that it is tough to drive for 3 hours following a long flight, but we don't fly that often . . . we are more roadtrip people . . .so that's not really a factor. Again, thank you for your kindness in responding to my post and I can't wait to visit.
My hubby grew up in Rexburg lots of gossips... good luck to you and if you are renting not as bad as buying and making a mistake.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace_Rinaldi View Post
Ahhh, I guess my friend that goes to SLC for airport is just being cheap..HA!! I agree also, after a long flight, a long drive would not be fun.. I still go to IF fairly often CM, we could still have a "cuppa" sometime..I'll be sure to shoot ya a DM next time we do.

Alright, I will take you up on that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls