Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 12:20 AM

599 posts, read 5,730,396 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm a 30 years old woman that might be moving from Sweden to Idaho Falls this spring. I'm just beginning to look for rentals in the Idaho Falls area. I need to find a rental home/apartment since I'm a untrustworthly foreign national who is therefore not allowed to get a mortgage.

Since I have only been to Idaho Falls once before, for a conference, I really have no clue about where I would like to live. Since I'm Swedish, I like to walk. Therefore it's quite important that the neighborhood is safe to walk around in, preferable even after dark. I also like nature, so having a park or such close by is always a plus.

Is there any areas in Idaho Falls that you particular like? Please, share the insight with me.

Thanks,
Joox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 05:28 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,432,982 times
Default Lots of Options; Need More Wants/Do Not Wants....

Dear Joox,

There are many options for rentals. It helps to know you like to walk - and probably like some space. It would help to know a bit more, such as whether you are wanting to rent an apt (how many bedrooms?), a house, a condo; whether or not you'd like to be on the west part of town closer to INL and what will be Areva; or whether you'd like to be in the east part of town and minutes away from parks and paths in the foothills.

You will be able to pull a lot up on line and I strongly encourage you to utilize the threads already written here about similar questions. Also, the 10 things to do in Idaho Falls (at the top of the page) is an on-going discussion of activities/events etc. of what is happening in the area. If we know just a little bit more about what you want, or don't - as that is as important as well, we probably can help you more.

For example, do you want a yard? Do you want grown, mature trees? And will you need to be close to INL buses etc. I hope that helps you be able to get us some further specifics of what you would like (and what you don't). Will you have pets? Will you need a garage or two car garage? All that information is helpful trying to direct someone. Ulitmatley, you'll probably need to use a realtor, given your location. Nonetheless, if you look around ahead of time you can make a better decision with a realtor when the time is right

Looking forward to more details from you.

MSR

Old 12-01-2009, 08:29 AM

73 posts, read 248,656 times
If you move here, check out this place. They have a beautiful setting and a midsommer celebration every June. This is an old ad, but I know they run it every year.

Scandinavian Midsummer Celebration in Idaho Falls, ID at Sealander Park | Tickets & Event Info - Eventful

Old 12-02-2009, 08:49 AM

MSR -
Thanks for the reply!
My main hobbies are horse back riding (jumping and dressage) and kick boxing. I really like to be close to nature, but at the same time I like to be quite close to grocery stores and such. When I'm not working or working out, I usually spend time with my family and friends - cooking dinner, playing boardgames,...

As far as I have understood I will probably not me too hard for me to find a stable and an instructor near Idaho Falls. I haven't looked into the kick boxing opportunities yet.

At this point it is not clear if my fiancée is coming along with me or not. Either way, I don't need more than 2 bedrooms. Regarding garages, one care garage will do fine. The apartment I have in Albuquerque, where I have lived for 6 months now, is a one room apartment without a garage. I wouldn't mine upgrading a bit. If I have nature close by, I will do fine living somewhere without a garden even though I certainly wouldn't mind one.

If possible I would like to not have to spend more than $800 per month on rent.

When it comes to areas in Idaho Falls where I would like to live, I don't have a clue. It would be nice if the commute to INL wouldn't be too long. But since I don't know how the traffic situation is in Idaho Falls, I have no sense of how long time it would take to, for example, to drive through the city in the morning. In Sweden I have a 60 minutes drive to work, is I could shorten time time I will be happy.

Best,
Joox

Old 12-02-2009, 08:52 AM

Western Gal -
I drove through New Sweden when I was visiting Idaho Falls. The name made me curious.
If I move, I have to check out their Midsummer celebrations for next summer. I might be able to get a snaps and some fermented herring there. :P

Old 12-02-2009, 01:03 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joox View Post
MSR -
Thanks for the reply!
My main hobbies are horse back riding (jumping and dressage) and kick boxing. I really like to be close to nature, but at the same time I like to be quite close to grocery stores and such. When I'm not working or working out, I usually spend time with my family and friends - cooking dinner, playing boardgames,...
If your riding discipline is English and Dressage then have I got something for you! You'll want to check out Parkwood Equestrian Center They are located slightly south of the Idaho Falls city limits.

Kick boxing is available to whether just for the exercise or the competition. More on that later, late for work now.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:09 PM

cleosmom -
I'm trained in English riding. Mainly jumping but I really enjoy dressage as well, even though the interest for dressage is feed by the realization that I need to improve my dressage skills in order to keep developing my jumping skills.

Thank you for the link!

/joox

Old 12-02-2009, 06:45 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
joox-

As promised, here's the link for kickboxing in Idaho Falls Idaho Falls Martial Arts Gyms

We actually know a lady that carries many awards and world titles in kick boxing, she work for the same company my husband does and has competed all over the world.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:51 AM

Smile Festivals, Heritage, Professional Horse Races etc. all happen in Idaho Falls.

Quote:
Western Gal -
I drove through New Sweden when I was visiting Idaho Falls. The name made me curious.
If I move, I have to check out their Midsummer celebrations for next summer. I might be able to get a snaps and some fermented herring there. :P
Joox,

This is a big celebration each year. I know one of the families who are the driving forces in keeping this celebration all that it is.

If you drove through New Sweeden, which now is essentially W. Sunnyside Road and southwest, the area cleosmom is talking about is east toward the foothills. The horse racing facility is used for all sorts of competitions. It is called Sandy Downs. You can look it up on Google or any general search engine.

Idaho Falls is an active place. People may like to do different things, but most people like to do something to stay busy and with friends. Good that you might be able to make connections with some prior to you moving......, if you move.

MSR

Old 12-03-2009, 01:25 AM

Lightbulb Utilize a Realtor, A Couple of Local Links, Keep Us Updated....

Quote:
MSR -
Thanks for the reply!

As far as I have understood I will probably not me too hard for me to find a stable and an instructor near Idaho Falls. I haven't looked into the kick boxing opportunities yet.

At this point it is not clear if my fiancée is coming along with me or not. Either way, I don't need more than 2 bedrooms. Regarding garages, one care garage will do fine. The apartment I have in Albuquerque, where I have lived for 6 months now, is a one room apartment without a garage. I wouldn't mine upgrading a bit. If I have nature close by, I will do fine living somewhere without a garden even though I certainly wouldn't mind one.

If possible I would like to not have to spend more than $800 per month on rent.

When it comes to areas in Idaho Falls where I would like to live, I don't have a clue. It would be nice if the commute to INL wouldn't be too long. But since I don't know how the traffic situation is in Idaho Falls, I have no sense of how long time it would take to, for example, to drive through the city in the morning. In Sweden I have a 60 minutes drive to work, is I could shorten time time I will be happy.

Best,
Joox
Dear Joox,

I'd still encourage you to work with a real estate agent. To get the best of what you want and to also make sure you're avoiding what you don't want, they will have all the listings. I'm not sure that some of the larger apartment complexes in Idaho Falls would be quite what you'd like compared to perhaps an apartment that is a duplex, triplex etc. Real Estate agents will have that info. You should even be able to look utilizing the MLS system.

It's hard to know where to recommend, given that your move is not certain and down the road a ways. That being said, I don't know if you'll be able to rent an apartment out of one of the city limits (Idaho Falls, Ammon, Iona, Ucon). Look at some of the other posts here and you'll see the links for the city.

One good resource to start looking at is the website of Idaho Falls Magazine. It is a locally published magazine, but the website serves to provide a lot of information about the area (along with the links). That site is: Idaho Falls Magazine. Click the "Marketplace" and then on the left hand side you will see a lot of smaller divisions of goods and services. Many have website.

Also, Idaho Falls magazine is on Facebook and fairly active. It's a good place to post real time questions to potentially different readers.

You may get some suggestions about realtors to utilize or where you may want to live. From your interests, it sounds to me like you would be the happiest south of Idaho Falls closer to the horse events, racing arena (Sandy Downs), trainers etc. That is in the Southeast part of town. However, when you drove through New Sweden you were more in the Southwest part of town. I don't know that there will be as many as apartment options in the Southwest area as the Southeast.

The reality about traffic in Idaho Falls, is there are traffic jams, nothing like huge metro areas. Still, at certain hours communters are backed up. If you plan to ride the bus to INL, I'd be working with INL to ask where they recommend for new transfers to live that is close to their bus stops.

There are some very nice Triplexes, Duplexes etc. But, most of those that I can think of are full. You could look roughly in the Hoopes Ave. and Woodruff Ave. area. There may be some condos in Three Fountains (Woodruff and about 14-17th Streets) for rent. There are also some upper scale apartment/condo units in Parkwood. Many who come to work for a short period of time at a medical center, or INL, will live there. That part of town is more established, trees are grown and there are small parks around.

You wouldn't be far from the horse "center" of town - about 4-5 miles. Lots of INL buses. Many professionals live in Three Fountains and again, there may be rental units available. You could either contact Three Fountains directly, or use the MLS to learn more.

They are very close to the largest mall in southeast Idaho, several grocery stores within 1-2 miles, and many restaurants.

I hope this helps you be able to ask some directed questions. I'd also talk to those with whom you work and get their recommendations. As far as the buses, they do take time. One can save 15 minutes each way living on the West side of town. Many have horses and lovely homes on the Westside too. Actually, when you ask a realtor or others, ask about a sub-division that had many new apartment units NORTH of W. Broadway and roughly around Bellin Rd. There would be some noise fromt the airport, but I'm not sure how close they are to the airport - I think they are a 1-2 miles west.

Good luck in your next steps deciding if this is the right move for you or not. Keep us in the loop when you know what you are doing. And don't hesitate to utilize both Bing and Google maps to look at buildings etc.

I hope everything goes smoothly for you as you make your decisions about Idaho Falls.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls