Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 11:01 AM

4 posts, read 11,504 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to the IF area within the next month due to a work transfer. We have one child in 1st grade and we are a christian non-LDS family. From what I've been reading and told by others who have spent some time in IF/Ammon, there are definite housing areas that are predominatly LDS. Some of these people have reported acceptability issues for their kids. What areas and public schools are recommended for the most diversity or religous acceptance? Or, what areas would be the least accepting?

Your help is greatly appreciated. For clarification, my reference to LDS is in no way meant to offend anyone. Our child's care provider for the first 4 years of life was a practicing LDS and we wouldn't have changed a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 06:34 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
I actually have non-LDS friends that live in both, Idaho Falls and Ammon without any grand issues.

Having said that, I think you'd be alright in either. You'll have to remember that not only will your child develop friends in the neighborhood, he or she will also develop friends at school. Which brings me to the school districts; most of my friends prefer district 93 schools which are more out Ammon way than Idaho Falls. As for teachers I personally know one, my niece, who is a second grade teacher at of the District 93 schools and she's awesome I have a client who teaches in District 91, just not certain which school.

Not certain how long ago your friends were living in the area, but in comparison to when we moved here 20 years ago, the population has become more diverse in religion.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:45 PM

Thank you for the reply cleosmom!!

Old 01-21-2011, 12:09 AM

5 posts, read 14,657 times
I hate to say it, but you're going to find both good and bad. You'll find more diversity in Idaho Falls I believe. Although the schools in D93 are, in my biased opinion, better. However, both districts do a fine job and offer a quality education. A lot depends on your income and what type of house you would be looking at. Rockwell homes (built mainly on the outskirts of the area) are in the 120k-250k range and usually have created subdivisions that are predominately LDS. They include the surrounding areas around Bonneville High School especially. The numbered streets offer some fine and classic homes and would probably be the most diverse area. The west side has some very nice suburban areas and I find the west side to be a little less LDS -- so shoot for Skyline area. But that's just my opinion. Again, it doesn't matter where you go, you'll find LDS families everywhere--and as you've pointed out, it's not such a bad thing. I graduated from Hillcrest and 80% of my school was LDS. I think the non-acceptance issues just come from a lack of communication and understanding on the side of both parties. I am LDS and grew up across the street from a family that was active Pentecostal. Their son was my best friend. It took some getting used to because we did different things when it came to church activities, but we still had fun and learned a lot from each other. So it all depends on your approach. Feel free to ask more questions if you'd like. I like to help.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:09 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I actually have non-LDS friends that live in both, Idaho Falls and Ammon without any grand issues.

Having said that, I think you'd be alright in either. You'll have to remember that not only will your child develop friends in the neighborhood, he or she will also develop friends at school. Which brings me to the school districts; most of my friends prefer district 93 schools which are more out Ammon way than Idaho Falls. As for teachers I personally know one, my niece, who is a second grade teacher at of the District 93 schools and she's awesome I have a client who teaches in District 91, just not certain which school.

Not certain how long ago your friends were living in the area, but in comparison to when we moved here 20 years ago, the population has become more diverse in religion.
I agree with Cleosmom. Also want to wish her a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I understand the OP about worrying about a child's acceptance in school. That being said, be an Idaho product myself and seeing the changes over the years, I'd be far more concerned with finding the right school (just for education purposes) and the right home I could pay for.

As other comments have been made here by other posters, one finds what they look for in many ways. You could always place your child in one of the Christian schools.

Taking this one step further, will it be an issue of what percentage of your neihborhood is LDS? I'm just trying to understand a little more where you're coming from. The first four years of your child's life s/he was constantly exposed to a practicing LDS caregiver. Is it you worry what other kids will say (and what parent can control what their kids say at school about anything?), worried about playing and after school activities?

To me, your question seems to be about more than just school. Otherwise, just contact District #91 and District #93 and ask to see their performance records for educating their students.

I, too, would like to help, but just have a gut feeling there is more to your question that you wrote. I hate religious debates here, which is one reason I leave for extended periods of time. So let's just leave religion out of it and state what your hopes and concerns are for your child in making this move. Otherwise, your child my get placed in a school that is performing well, with a non-LDS teacher's classroom and 70% non-LDS students in that classroom. Yet your child my want to be friends with one of the 30% of children who are practicing LDS. Or what if your child meets an LDS friend on the playground?

None of us can control all the factors about who the teacher and other children are in a school. What factors can you control?

Finally, Texann, you say you're a Christian. I don't know if that means you attend a church or not and it doesn't matter to me personally. However, if you are affiliated with a specific religion, how about asking your pastor to put you in touch with the local pastor in Idaho Falls for your religion? That way you would be more likely to meet other families quicker who share the same beliefs. And if nothing else, perhaps some of them could guide you to schools where their children have done well.

Hope you'll think about what I've written as it does take MY TIME to do it, just like it does for every other person who posts. I'm happy to make suggestions when others are open to ideas.

Good luck!

MSR

Old 02-04-2011, 09:01 AM

Thanks everyone!! I really appreciate each of you taking the time to respond. My concern is that I have spoken with several coworkers and extended family members who have spent many years in IF, were not LDS, and experienced outcasting from social gatherings, birthdays, sleepovers, etc. becuase of it.

We are a very open and accepting family. We are sensitive to other's needs and beliefs and we actively teach this to our daughter. She is in 1st grade and IF will be her 5th school to attend since starting Pre-K. She has never had any problems integrating and usually starts having requests for play days within weeks of moving. That is what she is expecting this time around and I was just concerned that things may be much different.

Regarding housing... we don't intend to buy a house because we will only be there about 5 years and we have a permanent home in TX. I've been looking at the websites, but I'm having a hard time determing which areas are best. We're willing to pay up to $1500 a month for rent. Any ideas what we could get for that amount? Good areas?

As mentioned above, I sincerely appreciate your time!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls