Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 07:46 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,329 times

Advertisements

I would say without question, health insurance is very important. And I don't mean insurance with $2,000 or $3,000 deductibles that do most people little if any good. Paid time off too. We all need a break from time to time. And lastly, even some dental is better then none. Most dental insurances aren't very good. But even $1,000 per year in the US is better then nothing.

I should add to this. Bonuses are great if they're paid out. I've seen employers who offer great bonuses as compensation for work but when it comes time to deliver, the employee is left behind, way behind. It's happened several times from different employers in this area to many people I know. So profit sharing yes, if you're sure they'll pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 08:14 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Wink "Hard Work" - 4 Letter Words That Don't Mean One is Cursing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastidahomom View Post
First, I agree that a degree alone does not suffice. I've seen far too many with their masters level and doctorates walk around with a coffee cup in their hand all day and fail to accomplish anything.

There was a time when hard work got you where you want/needed to go and in today's world, it's the degree. We totally miss the point of paying people in such cases. Skill is very important. Hands on experience is important.

I've also witnessed many young people with absolutely no work ethic whatsoever. I've witnessed many who had a great deal of work ethic. Sometimes you have no idea until after you've hired someone what they're actually going to be like. References seem to be disproved over and over again in more then one respect.

For the most part, I'm very fortunate to have a reliable and hard working staff. There are those who've given me headaches though. We can't pay great wages but we try to be competitive and we do have very good benefits and paid time off. So mediocre returns on your work yes, but not bottom of the barrel.
I agree with your post, eastidahomom. I don't want to generalize, but there seems to be a large percentage of citizens between 15-30 that don't understand that "hard work" are two four letter words that aren't cursing. I've seen and heard about it from other employers in many states, parents, spouses etc. I've heard it from the employees themselves, or at least candidates to be employees laughing that in "their generation, we just won't work that hard."

I do think I know where you are coming from though. Each employee brings their own experience or lack thereof to work. In states like MI and others where unemployment is higher, it is possible those with more skills would be happy to have a job, even in something other than what they originally did. I'd be interested to know what the work ethic of those in high school and college is in MI and similar states.

Do we see something rather unique to the Intermountain Area due to our low unemployment? Or, would employees try harder knowing others wanted their jobs?

For me, I guess I haven't seen that transition for many of when mom and dad are responsible for paying for everything to "I'm responsible," for as many in the < 30 crowd as I'd like to have seen. Many may call that maturity or education. It could happen at 15 years of age, should be happening when someone is 25 years old and makes me wonder what happened if a 35 year old still doesn't have a work ethic similar to peers.

I appreciate this thread as a place to vent thoughts one can't talk about at work!

Thanks for sharing your experiences and views eastidahomom and norcalmom101, and others.

MSR

Old 12-02-2008, 08:20 AM

Question Is Roadwayqueen Around?

BTW - just curious if anyone has heard from roadwayqueen? I wonder if she tried any of our suggestions or not.

Hopefully, we'll see a post soon with some good news from roadwayqueen.

MSR

Old 12-02-2008, 06:12 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,520,371 times
I haven't.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:16 PM

634 posts, read 2,347,430 times
I'd like to add my $0.02. My wife has had a horrible time trying to gain employment. In her case, she seems to be "too educated" - by training she is a nurse, specifically, a BSN/RN. It seems that most facilities here are hiring only LPNs or CNAs, and are leery of hiring someone who has the higher degree as they feel she will demand more money (which she hasn't, and in some cases would gladly accept less if there are decent benefits involved). It's just frustrating to watch as her chosen profession seems to be shutting her out just because she went for an advanced degree, which was required to work in a hospital and even many doctor's office or urgent care clinic setting in other cities & states that we have lived.

The by-product of this is that we are among the thousands that have limited (for myself) to no (for my wife) health insurance. Since I moved to Idaho to go back to school, I only have the student insurance offered by ISU, which works well enough for me, but is extremely cost-prohibitive to attain to cover my wife. I'd love to pick up a second job, but I am in graduate school, so I put in enough hours for a full time job on top of my classes, which doesn't leave me much room to add on a few hours at a local business.

The hardest part of this is watching as my wife continues to send out resumes, cold-call companies and businesses, even for non-nursing positions (admin. assistant, etc.), only to many times receive no response, not even a return call regarding a position that was posted online or in the paper.

Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest...

Old 12-03-2008, 01:42 AM

Unhappy That is Disappointing and Surprising

Quote:
Originally Posted by breer23 View Post
I'd like to add my $0.02. My wife has had a horrible time trying to gain employment. In her case, she seems to be "too educated" - by training she is a nurse, specifically, a BSN/RN. It seems that most facilities here are hiring only LPNs or CNAs, and are leery of hiring someone who has the higher degree as they feel she will demand more money (which she hasn't, and in some cases would gladly accept less if there are decent benefits involved). It's just frustrating to watch as her chosen profession seems to be shutting her out just because she went for an advanced degree, which was required to work in a hospital and even many doctor's office or urgent care clinic setting in other cities & states that we have lived.

The by-product of this is that we are among the thousands that have limited (for myself) to no (for my wife) health insurance. Since I moved to Idaho to go back to school, I only have the student insurance offered by ISU, which works well enough for me, but is extremely cost-prohibitive to attain to cover my wife. I'd love to pick up a second job, but I am in graduate school, so I put in enough hours for a full time job on top of my classes, which doesn't leave me much room to add on a few hours at a local business.

The hardest part of this is watching as my wife continues to send out resumes, cold-call companies and businesses, even for non-nursing positions (admin. assistant, etc.), only to many times receive no response, not even a return call regarding a position that was posted online or in the paper.

Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest...
Hey Breer23,

Nice to see you around again. So sorry to read your post though........

Send me a PM when you get a chance, or ask your wife to. Maybe I can talk to her about some different options. I know RN/BSNs are still needed. If worse came to worse, would she temp where she could get benefits? That may mean some time out of state, but just wondered if that was an option for both of you.

Anyway, hope school is going well. Hang in there, the right situation will present itself. Tell your wife to hang in there too.

Don't be a stranger. I'd love to hear your views about CAES, the possibility of the NM organization moving to ID when Areva opens etc. Plus, just how the two of you are overall.

Take care of yourselves!

MSR

Old 12-03-2008, 07:04 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Breer I was going to offer up the same thing that MSR did. I happen to have a good portion of one hospital that are clients of mine through work. I have a feeling MSR might have a slight edge over me in this area. Get in touch with MSR

Old 12-05-2008, 09:24 PM

Lightbulb Utilize All Contacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Breer I was going to offer up the same thing that MSR did. I happen to have a good portion of one hospital that are clients of mine through work. I have a feeling MSR might have a slight edge over me in this area. Get in touch with MSR
Breer,

Check with both cleosmom and me. We may know different people and have different info. It only takes talking to the right person at the right time.

Honestly, I think part of what has happened is a lot of BSN's got their BSN's by working and having their tuition paid for by their employer. I don't think it is lack of need vs. others paying their "debt," so to speak. Your wife is kind of in between in that she doesn't have her MSN, does she? And she is far beyond a 2 year RN.

Has she considered going back to school to get her Masters? Either an MSN or NP degree? Just a thought. Or, I know one effective manager who went back after her BSN and got an MBA. I mixed up my degrees and it helps. Perhaps that is something your wife might consider?

Hang in there

MSR

Old 12-06-2008, 12:55 PM

634 posts, read 2,347,430 times
Thanks, MSR & cleosmom. We have a few tings to tend to this weekend, but I will have my wife get into touch with you either tomorrow or early next week. She'll PM you from my account.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:46 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breer23 View Post
Thanks, MSR & cleosmom. We have a few tings to tend to this weekend, but I will have my wife get into touch with you either tomorrow or early next week. She'll PM you from my account.
I don't know if you're able to transfer to ISU here in the treasure valley, but I know that St. Lukes and St. Alphonsus have postings for dozens of positions specifically RN's. There are numerous clinics and medical centers in the valley here that have sprouted up to meet the demand for the growth here in boise. And I know that ISU is opening a big campus in Meridian to support students in completing their entire degree here in the treasure valley rather than having to eventually go to Poky. I've also heard that ISU is really trying to incorporate a medical school, and have it here in boise/meridian with many of their programs moving or being extended here because of the larger population base to support it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls