U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2008, 04:07 AM

8,440 posts, read 12,272,293 times

Advertisements

Many are familiar with the story written by Richard Paul Evans, "The Christmas Box." It was later made into a movie. As a result, communities across the world have created Christmas Box Angel statues to remember the children who have been lost to death.

In 2007, Idaho Falls donated land at Fielding Memorial Cemetery so the 80th Christmas Box Angel statue could be built. It is the first to be built in Idaho. It is non-denominational and benches close by allow grieving parents, grandparents and others who mourn the loss of a child a place to sit and reflect. Often notes, flowers or other remebrances of children are left at this special place.

Circumstances are different in every child's death. Sometimes parents have had to relocate to different areas than where their child is buried. Sometimes, the parents lack funds to create a formal marker for their lost child. Each family has their own unique set of experiences and memories, which is one reason I believe the Christmas Box Angel at Fielding Memorial Cemetery in Idaho Falls is so important for the area. Those who visit the beautifully sculptured angel child, need not be from Idaho Falls or even ID. Grief doesn't recognize county or state lines.

On Dec. 6, 2008 at 6:00 p.m., the first Candle Light Vigil at the Idaho Falls Christmas Box Angel will be held. The brief ceremony is intended mostly to honor those who have lost children. However, extended family members and friends are also invited to this remberance held each year on Children's Day throughout the world (12/6). It is humbling to me, to think of parents throughout the world meeting at 6:00 p.m. on 12/6 each year to remember their lost children.

For those who weren't aware of this beautiful remebrance of children lost to death now exists in Idaho Falls, please post any questions you have here. Additionally, others may be aware of a website that exists or other specifics about the gathering in Idaho Falls or other cities with Christmas Box Angels. Please post any information you may have for someone who may be looking, but doesn't know where to find the information.

Last year, at the dedication of the statue, Richard Paul Evans spoke. Sounds Choir sang. Idaho Falls Mayor Jared Fuhriman, who has lost a child to death, spoke. Others participated in the formal dedication program. More were there to witness this much-needed addition to eastern ID.

I'm proud to have a Christmas Box Angel in Idaho Falls. This is very personal to me as I have two siblings who have lost children to death. For their privacy and the privacy of their families I won't write more, except I know first hand how healing a formal place to gather and grieve for children can be for parents. It is a place where no one judges parents, it is accessible throughout the year and it is a place where some can heal just a little more each time they visit.

Thank you to Terry and Linda Hale, to the City of Idaho Falls for donating the land, to Mayor Fuhriman for understanding the need of parents in eastern ID, western WY and elsewhere who need a place to grieve, and all who donated money so this project could be completed. Most people don't ask if there is a Christmas Box Angel in a city where they may relocate. Perhaps someone knows if there is a link to a list of which cities have these beautiful monuments. If so, please post it.

Please post any comments you have of how this first Candle Light Vigil might help more people. Or if appropriate, direct other posts or threads to this thread.

If you have attended a Christmas Box Angel dedication or Candle Light Vigil anywhere, or specifically in Idaho Falls, please post about your experiences. This won't be the most popular of longest thread. However, if even one parent or grandparent new to Idaho is helped by knowing this special place exists in Idaho Falls, then it is well worth the effort to write about it.

Mountain States Resident
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 10:03 AM

Post What This Angel Statue Looks Like

For those who have never seen a Christmas Box Angel Monument, here is a link to the one in the Salt Lake City Cemetery:
Christmas Box Angel Statue - Find A Grave Memorial

From what I could find searching the Internet, it appears that 9 more Christmas Box Angel Statues have been built since a year ago. I still can't find a link that shows what states and where. If you know of information or other cities that have them, please post here.

Thanks for those who have visited here. I was happy to see how easily anyone looking could find this information on Google today.

MSR

Old 12-04-2014, 06:01 PM

Default 2014 Update for Christmas Box Angel Remembrance on 12/6

There is no reason to write all the above info again with the exception the ceremony starts at 6:00 p.m.

This is for parents, grandparents and others who mourn a child of any age.

I've been told it is now customary to bring a white rose or white light for each child one is remembering.

KIFI has a bit more about the gathering here
CHRISTMAS BOX ANGEL VIGIL | CANDLELIGHT VIGIL | Events at www.localnews8.com | Find Something to Do on Mobile

MSR

Old 12-04-2014, 06:13 PM

Default Idaho Falls Memorial in Fielding Memorial Cemetery

christmas box angel Idaho Falls - Bing Images

Old 12-24-2014, 07:23 PM

Smile A Rerun is on Now

The Christmas Box is playing right now for anyone who may have missed it. I hope they show it again, although I've probably seen it more than anyone here. I want to hear the dialogue as I was fortunate enough to hear the last part of TSO's Christmas Canon played by a local radio station.

Both the Christmas Canon and Christmas Box have some similar, overlapping messages about asking for forgiveness, redemption and being able to forgive yourself. All are the best presents at Christmas, IMO.

Have a safe, happy and Merry Christmas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: