U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:28 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,044,252 times

Advertisements

Thank you MSR! There is so much we can miss out on if we don't look beyond our own noses....I met a lovely lady through craigslist from whom I bought some bookcases, we got to talking and decided we could go walking together....I lamented having to drive to get to the greenbelt, and she pointed out that for the past 9 months evidently I've been driving by and working across from a great park for long walks, I'd just never slowed down enough to look past the fences......of course the nice heat in the office and the snow outside factored in....

One of my friends just moved into a place downtown on the river, so I am hoping to spend alot more time down there exploring!

Last edited by norcalmom101; 04-17-2009 at 11:40 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 01:54 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,044,252 times
Thinking of you MSR, we just went on that awesome walk in the park I finally stopped just driving by!

Old 04-30-2009, 07:12 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,968,490 times
Talking Idaho Falls on America's Top 100 Places to Live - 2009

This isn't necessarily about growth in Idaho Falls, but I don't remember see this article posted here. Ithought IFGuy would post (or maybe has), but I suspect he is busy changing diapers right now. So I'll help him this way.

From KIDK: "Idaho Falls makes "America's Top 100 Places to Live"

Idaho Falls makes "America's Top 100 Places to Live" | KIDK CBS 3 - News, Weather and Sports - Idaho Falls - Pocatello - Blackfoot, ID - Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Blackfoot - Idaho | News (http://www.kidk.com/news/43500357.html - broken link)

MSR

Old 10-11-2009, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 7,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I am happy to live in a town that is shrinking.
Let me guess - you're retired, and/or have a secure job, are conservative and don't like newcomers "ruining" your town?

Old 02-05-2010, 01:19 AM

5 posts, read 12,173 times
New to the boards and I've gotta say, you all need to pray that IF doesn't become what the west Boise area has become. I'm going to school in Rexburg and lived in West Boise for the past 12 years. There is NO character to that area, which includes Meridian. Meridian is simply an extension of Boise. There are no businesses, no downtown to speak of, just subdivisions upon subdivisions. Hopefully the leaders on this part of the state will actually plan for the future instead of wait until your infrastructure can't even withstand half of the population. I'm not sure there was ever another Metro area like the Treasure Valley that planned so terribly.

Coming from a person who has experienced the worst, lets hope IF can get things together. Even though the Idaho Falls area will ever be close to the magnitude of the Boise-Nampa area in terms of population, they can still plan and hopefully learn from the mistakes of the boise metro area. Its simply a mess over there.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:43 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,493,053 times
Boise has its share of sprawl issues, but nothing like many other sunbelt cities.

I agree that cities like Idaho Falls can improve upon the model by developing smartly, and by building urban centers instead of suburban sprawl. (Snake River Landing is a good proposal, but the economy has knocked it back bigtime). This model will be a tough sell, however, because IF has not yet become unmanageable. If, and when, IF becomes impossible to get around in, then some of this type of development may occur. My perception is it is still a ways off.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:25 AM

3,119 posts, read 7,475,926 times
So, what is the Idaho Falls job market like? Is it also suffering?

Old 02-06-2010, 06:25 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,493,053 times
The last numbers I can find are from July '09, when it was 6.9%. Probably a little higher now. IF has tended to be about 3% lower than Boise over the past year.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:31 PM

4,425 posts, read 5,502,712 times
idaho falls will suffer the same ways boise has if local option tax is not introduced, Idaho falls will be hog tied by the state legislature just as boise has been. It isn't like leaders in the boise area haven't been planning growth and trying to do what's best. I will be the first to admit that I absolutely despise west-boise meridian and everything sprawled here in boise because it has ended up making developers rich and costing tax payers in the end for widening I-84 to 8 lines so everyone can get to the airport or downtown for work. It's just the beginning of a nightmare that will be mirrored in every other city in idaho that reaches "that point". The problem is not the cities of idaho.. it's our state and the backwardness of only "rural" thinking and "rural" priorities that will make our cities tough places to plan for in the future. Idaho falls, poky, twin, and cda should all be getting together with the mayor and city leaders of boise to put pressures on the pumpkin heads in the state house holding everyone hostage. Tax is not all bad... and local option tax allows for idaho falls, boise, poky, twin to tax THOSE residents for services and infrastructure that benefits those same residents.

Don't sit here and think it won't happen and that idaho falls will pull some magic trick out of their hat and not follow suit with west boise, because I already see it happening in the ammon, iona, lincoln area..the issue is a statewide issue... so lets be clear
i've driven out there and all the endless four way stops.. and each time I go over there.. there's more and more developements popping up.. It's only a matter of time before those roads get widened because and traffic lights will get thrown up because of traffic volumes and before you know it you'll have your very own meridian to call your own..
ITD seems to just do the minimum required in handling the growth by widening and throwing up lights.. rather than really studying growth patterns and planning for future infrastructure needs.. If you havent experienced Eagle road at 5pm... that is a prime example of a two lane country road...
I would like for local initiatives to be brought up where the people can choose to pony up tax dollars to address these issues. Otherwise we end up with some potato farmer dictating resources and money being put towards urban issues in a city they don't know or live in..
Boise city has purchased a rail corridor that connects from micron to nampa, but because of lack of funding or even being able to ask voters for funding it.. they can't even put a damn train on it.. and now the state.. all of you that don't even live in boise are helping to pay for our new wide 8 lane freeway to address the problem.. it really is ridiculous..
government serves a purpose, whether you want to admit it or not.. when you chose to live in an urban area you live with a certain lifestyle or lackthereof.. sustainable solutions to problems aren't always popular at first. The money associated with the freeway widening in boise is more than enough to implement a commuter rail line.. This is where government says.. ok.. you want to live out in tuscany hills but you don't like the traffic? train is the option we provide, so if you don't like traffic then ride the train or live with your choice.. instead we continue to fund projects that are outrageous in long term price tags to not only build but maintain.. and they compound the negative growth issues, rather than re-direct it.. which is completely in line with the function of government's role

Last edited by boiseguy; 02-06-2010 at 08:06 PM..

Old 02-07-2010, 01:58 AM

3,119 posts, read 7,475,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
The money associated with the freeway widening in boise is more than enough to implement a commuter rail line..
Do you really think that a commuter rail line would be viable? Do enough people go downtown to work every day in locations that would be close enough to the rail stations to make it worthwhile? I don't know, but I do know that Boise is not Chicago or New York City or Washington, D.C. Subways work in those cities because a great many people crowd into a small area on a daily basis. Is that also the case with Boise? When people get off the train, the location they want to go to needs to be within a short walking distance. (Personally, I really like the subways in those other cities and think they are great, as long as you can find a parking space at the suburban stations.)

I'm under the impression, based on articles that I have read over the years, that as a general rule these mass transit systems do not pay for themselves unless a great many people crowd into a central area each day.

Sure, it costs money to widen the Interstate, but it also costs money to build and maintain rail lines, stations, and the large parking lots that would be needed. Often times people clamor for it when it's really just a touchy-feely supposedly eco-friendly measure that doesn't make real economic sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls