U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 02:23 PM

22 posts, read 89,174 times

Advertisements

I am looking at some rental homes in the Idaho Falls area. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what sections to stay out of, or any recommendations for nice, quiet, and safe neighborhoods? So far, I've found one on "Elva" and one on "I" street--but know nothing about those areas.

I'd also probably want to buy a home within the next year or so. What would anyone suggest for a nice neighborhood within 20 min of Idaho Falls? My wife and I are young professionals and we do not want to be in the center of a college town.

Thanks for any information!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 05:06 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,127,249 times
Check out Shelley!

Old 04-05-2009, 09:20 PM
sav

62 posts, read 288,602 times
20 mins gets your pretty far, as norcalmom said, all the way to shelley and all the way north almost to rigby. within the city itself there are many very neighborhoods, from multiple, brand new homes in ammon to older more established neighborhoods like by the parks or the avenues. if you can narrow down what you are looking for, may be able to help more. good luck! IF is a great place

Old 04-05-2009, 10:13 PM

Like Sav said, IF is a great place, and I am hard pressed to think of any neighborhoods not to recommend. Some are wealthier, some are poorer, but they all look decent to me. Part of my job involves going out to our clients homes, which brings me in to neighborhoods all over, and I have never felt unsafe or got a bad vibe. Imagine being able to choose based on proximity to the things that are important to you, without having to worry about "bad" neighborhoods! Commuting to the far side of IF from Shelley takes me about 20 minutes, and it is a nice drive. You should come check it out!

Old 04-07-2009, 11:04 PM

634 posts, read 2,194,285 times
FYI, I wouldn't consider IF a college town. A town that has a university center - yes, but not a traditional college town.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:51 AM

397 posts, read 429,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sport225 View Post
I am looking at some rental homes in the Idaho Falls area. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what sections to stay out of, or any recommendations for nice, quiet, and safe neighborhoods? So far, I've found one on "Elva" and one on "I" street--but know nothing about those areas.

I'd also probably want to buy a home within the next year or so. What would anyone suggest for a nice neighborhood within 20 min of Idaho Falls? My wife and I are young professionals and we do not want to be in the center of a college town.

Thanks for any information!
I have a house a couple of streets north of Elva. The neighborhood is quite besides the daytime traffic and a train from time to time but bad at all really. Neighbors in this area are very nice, yards are kept up for the most part and you live within walking distance of the greenbelt and Melaleuca Field.

It is nice to be able to take Lincoln, Highway 20, or Yellowstone Highway and get to where you want to go in no time at all. The neighborhood really has great access!

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:17 AM

22 posts, read 89,174 times
Default Thanks

Thanks everyone, this sounds like great information. More than anything I like quiet and safe...it sounds like this is pretty much anywhere in IF, Shelley, or Ammon..so I will look in those areas. Thanks a bunch.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:37 AM

4,918 posts, read 16,912,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sport225 View Post
Thanks everyone, this sounds like great information. More than anything I like quiet and safe...it sounds like this is pretty much anywhere in IF, Shelley, or Ammon..so I will look in those areas. Thanks a bunch.
Hey sport225, you have mail

Old 04-17-2009, 06:30 PM

Ok, I have to take it all back. A friend took me to see "H" street in IF. Seems like I finally found a neighborhood that could be questionable. Plenty of nice houses, even ran into an upstanding family member who lives in the vicinity, but it does look like a small area given over to trash in the yards and folks looking real sketchy, evidently this is considered to be a gang area and a drug area. Gotta go see for yourself!

Old 04-17-2009, 07:02 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,232,657 times
Lightbulb I Agree; I'd Like to See That Area Changed to an International District

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
Ok, I have to take it all back. A friend took me to see "H" street in IF. Seems like I finally found a neighborhood that could be questionable. Plenty of nice houses, even ran into an upstanding family member who lives in the vicinity, but it does look like a small area given over to trash in the yards and folks looking real sketchy, evidently this is considered to be a gang area and a drug area. Gotta go see for yourself!
I agree, that is the one neighborhood I would stay away from if possible, or at least certain blocks. IFGuy, you know more than I about it, perhaps you can narrow it down, as it changes quite fast.

It would be the "Lettered" streets, but that is confusing too as some are downtown on the east of the river and what NCM101 is referring to, I think, is probably west of the river. You can always look at neighborhoods through Google, MSN and other real estate or maps/driving websites if you doubt or want to see for your self.

It's quite easy to spot the blighted area.

IFGuy and I have talked years ago about what a great area those numbered streets west of the river, close to Melaleuca etc. could be for an International District. The Family History Library is there. If the city wanted to build on a theme of different cultures and backgrounds, some mom and pop little restaurants and businesses reflecting the international ventures in Idaho Falls, plus an extend stay hotel etc. where people could come and stay to work on their genology info might work. Problem is, I don't think that Highland Area is zoned for anything like that now. Perhaps, if University Place "overflows," and influences that side of the river, we may see change someday.

The sister city is in Japan. Wouldn't a nice Japanese restaurant on the western banks of the Snake be a real change for locals to visit? Add a small Japanese garden, if the plants will grow, and it would be a beautiful place to visit.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls