Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 9,075 times

Advertisements

Hey there,

I've been reading some of the comments here about lots of available jobs in Idaho. I've been looking for 5 months now and have not been able to find one yet. I've been looking in the Post Register as well as several sites online. I've also tried a couple of employment agencies in Idaho Falls with no luck except for daily jobs.

I got laid off from a $55,000 job and can't seem to get my foot in the door for anything. The responses I get are usually: "you're overqualified", "Can you be satisfied with $15 an hour job", "We're afraid you will leave for a better paying job after we train you".

I'm not picky. I would be happy with an office secretarial job, real estate title, mortgage, bank jobs etc. The only problem is I do need to make about $35,000 to $40,000 to support my family. I need to work and I need to support my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 02:33 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwayqueen View Post
Hey there,

I've been reading some of the comments here about lots of available jobs in Idaho. I've been looking for 5 months now and have not been able to find one yet. I've been looking in the Post Register as well as several sites online. I've also tried a couple of employment agencies in Idaho Falls with no luck except for daily jobs.

I got laid off from a $55,000 job and can't seem to get my foot in the door for anything. The responses I get are usually: "you're overqualified", "Can you be satisfied with $15 an hour job", "We're afraid you will leave for a better paying job after we train you".

I'm not picky. I would be happy with an office secretarial job, real estate title, mortgage, bank jobs etc. The only problem is I do need to make about $35,000 to $40,000 to support my family. I need to work and I need to support my family.
I wish you much luck! It's interesting to note that the news quoted unskilled labor the other night. They said nothing about skilled labor. Those who are living on a higher budget can't afford to work at Burger King which is the type of place most of those jobs are open. You can go to Wally world for $10 an hour, but these days, who can really live off that? I know many with college degrees struggling in today's economy and they are having great difficulty finding work. It blew me away when I read about "all the jobs" open in this area because I beg them to tell us all Where?

I sincerely hope you find the job that you need to support you and your family. Good luck!

Old 11-22-2008, 05:43 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,520,371 times
Quote:
Hey there,

Needing to make 35K-40K in this region for an office job is picky, that is just the god honest truth. I could hire you tomorrow, if you would lower your expectations. Well, Monday.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:04 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,329 times
Interesting post here about unemployment. Unemployment | EagleRockTalks

Old 11-23-2008, 02:52 AM

2 posts, read 9,075 times
$35K-$40K is not being picky when you are trying to support a family of 4. Is it being picky to want to live in a house instead of a car? Is it being picky to want to eat every day? Is it picky to want to have heat and electricty during the cold months? I was working 2 jobs before the layoff and will continue to work 2 jobs once I find something else. As I told the last person that interviewed me I don't care what I do I just need to find a way to support my family. If that means working 2 jobs and/or 80 hours a week I'll do it. I don't have any credit bills. I don't use credit cards. What I did to determine what I needed to make was sit down and add up the mortgage payment, all the monthly utility bills, grocery bills and gas and car upkeep. That is where the $35K came from. I have been supporting my family by myself since my husband had a cerebral hemorage 20 years ago. Its been hard but I did it and I will continue to do it. I'm just trying to get my foot in the door so I can be interviewed and hired. That is the problem. No one wants to "waste time interviewing someone who has a resume full of experience for a job that only makes $8.00 or $10.00 an hour that a high school graduate could do" and they are afraid of hiring me "because when things turn around you'll leave and we'll have to start all over again". So as I said I'm not being picky in my job hunting. I am trying to find two jobs that will give me a total income of $35k to $40K so my family can continue to live a decent life. If I can do that with one job that would be great but I don't expect to be able to find one job.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
$35K-$40K is not being picky when you are trying to support a family of 4. Is it being picky to want to live in a house instead of a car? Is it being picky to want to eat every day? Is it picky to want to have heat and electricty during the cold months? I was working 2 jobs before the layoff and will continue to work 2 jobs once I find something else. As I told the last person that interviewed me I don't care what I do I just need to find a way to support my family. If that means working 2 jobs and/or 80 hours a week I'll do it. I don't have any credit bills. I don't use credit cards. What I did to determine what I needed to make was sit down and add up the mortgage payment, all the monthly utility bills, grocery bills and gas and car upkeep. That is where the $35K came from. I have been supporting my family by myself since my husband had a cerebral hemorage 20 years ago. Its been hard but I did it and I will continue to do it. I'm just trying to get my foot in the door so I can be interviewed and hired. That is the problem. No one wants to "waste time interviewing someone who has a resume full of experience for a job that only makes $8.00 or $10.00 an hour that a high school graduate could do" and they are afraid of hiring me "because when things turn around you'll leave and we'll have to start all over again". So as I said I'm not being picky in my job hunting. I am trying to find two jobs that will give me a total income of $35k to $40K so my family can continue to live a decent life. If I can do that with one job that would be great but I don't expect to be able to find one job.
If you will work for $8.50 per hour DM me.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:28 AM

Dept. of Labor Site:
http://labor.idaho.gov/ES/JOBTOOLS/ws/jobsearch.aspx?id=0&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1 (broken link)

https://dhr.idaho.gov/stateJobs/CurrentOpenings.aspx (broken link)

Other resource:
Eastern Idaho Community Action Partnership, Inc.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
If you will work for $8.50 per hour DM me.
Don't be shy! Even possible to work around whatever other schedules you have, as often or not as you'd like. Any work is better than no work!

Old 11-25-2008, 01:46 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Question Different Options

Quote:
Thanks for the post roadwayqueen. Indeed your family has been through a lot. I admire what you have done for your family. I also think you'd be a great feature story in Idaho Falls Magazine - years ago they featured 5 prominent women. My suggestion was to look for 5 women had a different set of "extraordinary circumstances," daily.

One suggestion I'd encourage you to explore are the local call centers. Shifts may be more flexible for you to work another job. Since it will require more than a regular 40 hr. work week for the income you need, perhaps basic benefit needs and scheduling around other activities may be possible for you. I'm not saying you'll make $40K, although some do depending on their responsibilities. However, if you start somewhere and get part of your needs (and family needs) met, you may find different avenues to earn the additional income you need.

At one point Twin Prism (who posts here often) was looking for more workers. I can't remember what type of workers TP needed, but you may want to look for that post or send a Private Message.

Also, as an employer, I have to agree that for the Intermountain area, I agree with norcalmom101, that $35-40K office jobs as an employee, unless a sub-contractor of INL or certain businesses isn't what is available now.

I do empathize with your situation. I also understand what the potential employers have said to you. Have you volunteered to commit say to working 2-3 years for a company? It is cumbersome and expensive to have to restaff when an employee leaves. Some employers may be more interested in you if they got a solid commitment of what you are willing to give back.

I hope at least one of these suggestions may be helpful to you.

Good luck in your quest! Please post back here and let us know what you eventually find as the solution for you and your family.

MSR

Old 11-28-2008, 03:16 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Post A National Article About Interviewing for Jobs

Roadwayqueen,

I saw this today and didn't know if it would benefit you or not. Anyway, I wanted to give you the link so you could read it and decide for yourself if there are any ideas in this article that may help you.

msn.careerbuilder.com/Article/MSN-1569-Interviewing-How-to-Answer-Why-Should-I-Hire-You/?sc_extcmp=JS_1569_spotlight?GT1=23000&SiteId=cbms nsl41569&ArticleID=1569&cbRecursionCnt=1&cbsid=6de a50e63e28467b8213081ff32e994c-281199151-wj-6

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls