U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 05:01 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,264,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryKV View Post
Her credentials are BA in business, but Masters in elementary ed from a top school, with some years of experience. She will have to apply for ID certification anyway, that goes state by state. Yes she will try to contact admin offices of various school districts. First we'll have to identify what school districts serve the area! It's a process. We want to buy a VERY cheap fixer upper somewhat out of town, like we did the last place we lived. Then stay here working until one of us can find a job there, then go throw our bags down in the fixer upper. Something like that. I'm sure the people there will like us we get along really well with everybody and we are quiet and mostly open minded yet conservative-living people. We appreciate the simple things, and my wife almost cried when I showed her some northwest pictures. She loves water, animals of any kind, and a background of mountains and open space.
JerryKV,

This thread was brought up again recently and you posted last fall. Most likely you've made a decision and potentially a move.

Per chance you haven't, then I'd encourage you to explore both Ucon and Rigby, but no farther north than Rigby as a residence. There are non-Mormons in Rexburg, as proven by having a Catholic church locally. However, that raises for me the question of how compatible are you to active, practicing Catholics?

More and more Catholics are living where Mormons live. From my POV, faithful members of either faith want essentially the same things for their families: safety, good education, respect given and received from others and to be good contributing members of society.......giving back because it's the right thing to do etc. If those viewpoints don't quite jive with yours, then I absolutely wouldn't go beyond Ucon.

Rigby is a "one horse town," although growing. One major grocery store, a few C stores now, but not major commerce in most things. However, some have been very successful with their home-based Internet businesses in the area. Not sure how financially sound the city is, given how mortgages were obtained by many in some of the newer houses and developed areas.

As for your wife's credentials, higher education doesn't cease to exist in Pocatello until one reaches Rexburg. With new INL grants into other areas of science, as well University Place (the physical location for ISU - Idaho Falls, the U. of Idaho - Idaho Falls, and even some BSU courses), other teaching options are available besides high school.

University Place in Idaho Falls

University Place is physically next to many Idaho National Laboratory Office Buildings. More buildings with combined labs/offices are being built in the area around University Blvd.

There is a separate thread here about CAES and training the next generation of scientists not only from the U.S., but other countries as well.

Breer23, who posts here, could probably give you more insight than I about University Place.

And to answer your question, one must be LDS to teach at an LDS University or Business School.

Good luck to all who hope to educate others. Teaching is a calling these days, IMHO. Certain age groups may be easier to educate for many. However, gifted teachers who can educate many different groups can be hard to find.

MSR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 09:03 AM

52 posts, read 192,200 times
Thanks for the info, we're just now selling our house. So now we can really think about trying a new place. Idaho is high on our list because it was recommended by a friend from Idaho
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls