U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 04:32 AM

8,440 posts, read 12,254,185 times

Advertisements

It's that magic week for dozens of kids who are in cancer treatment or cancer survivors. Camp Magical Moments allows area kids, who are actively being treated for cancer or currently in remission, to come together for a week of fun, getting to meet new friends with the same disease and time away from hospitals and doctors appointments.

This camp is for kids aged 7-12. The 2009 one started on Sunday and goes through Friday. The camp is located in Swan Valley, ID, east of Idaho Falls.

It is a REGIONAL cancer camp for kids, having some participants come from Boise and some from Salt Lake City. So if you know of kids who might want to be part of this FREE camp next year, contact Camp Magical Moments at:

Cancer Camp for Kids - Camp Magical Moments - Swan Valley Idaho

Sponsorship for children is also available at that website. I have a friend who was diagnosed with a non-life threatening cancer a few years back. In his gratitude for his care, he sponsors a child each year for this camp.

For some who wonder how to honor those lost to cancer, or are wondering how to help a family who has a child with cancer, but the family seems reluctant to accept "help," a sponsorship may be the answer. As far as I know, the receiving child/family doesn't know who sponsored their child. I don't know if you can request that sponsorship be used for only a child, or not. Those would be great information to have added to this thread, as well as any personal experiences or additional knowledge of the camp.

This local television story would suggest donations of any kind are needed to keep this camp open, given the costs:

Camp Magical Moments Needs Help - KIFI - Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Jackson WY - Weather News Sports-

If you post in the Boise Forum, other city/regional threads in ID; or if you post in the UT, WY, or Salt Lake City Forums, please include info if not back to this thread, then the main website for Camp Magic Moments. Whatever is easiest for you and will allow more readers the opportunity of learning about Camp Magical Moments. I'm not sure that some, who live in the geographical area served by Camp Magical Moment," know it exists. Especially if people have relocated.

Think about it. How often do people say my child has special needs and btw, are there any special summer camps for my child's disease of xxx? We see posts asking about the medical/school needs, as is appropriate. But, most people after just moving, aren't aware of some of the extras we have in the Idaho area; bonuses like this camp for kids battling cancer.

I hope we can share this info - and for full disclosure, I'm not connected in any capacity with Camp Magical Moments, with the exception of the stories told to me by my friend who got cancer 4-5 years ago and started sponsoring a scholarship so another child could attend a week of happiness. The link for sponsorship, donations or referring a child to attend the camp is: Cancer Camp for Kids - Camp Magical Moments - Swan Valley Idaho

Someone you know, or don't, will benefit if you will post information about the camp and the link, in a different thread or forum. Sometimes, if you are the parent struggling and wondering if your child will ever be accepted by others and will s/he ever have fun, it helps to read even one post here. One of the nicest comments someone left for me at CDF ever, was one thanking me for what I'd written. The unusual thing is my post was to congratulate the winners of the most recent gift certificates.

You never know where your words, with heart-felt emotion and the intent on helping others will do so. Sometimes, even words read on the right day can help those coping with a great deal to those who are struggling that day.

Since this camp in is Swan Valley, I wonder if the kids get square ice cream cones prior to going to camp, after or both?

Great works Walshes and volunteers at camp! I'm glad eastern ID can offer this camp to area residents, I'm just not sure many in Treasure Valley (or NID), as well Salt Lake City, WY and potentially a few other (non-CA areas) are aware their children could attend as well. Let's do what we can to make sure the parents know about this camp

MSR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls