U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-28-2006, 05:52 PM
 
3 posts, read 11,321 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcarolina
Convert to what? Joseph Smith? What a joke. No thank you -I'll stick with the one and only Jesus Christ. He is the only way to salvation. Guess, Ill stay around IF or pocatello.
I dont see any reason to be rude. The name of the mormon church is the Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter Day Saints. SO clearly, you have no idea what the church is about and yet you would use your prejudice against it to try to convince someone she is makign a mistake by moving here. You are the one being unaccepting and cliquish. The belief is right in the name and even if the religeon was not based of Jesus Christ, you needn't be judgemental and prejudicial, that is certianly not the way of Christ. I wonder if you find all beliefs different than yours "a joke" or just the LDS church. I think the real joke is when people who claim to be followers of Christ are cruel to others when His life was based on loving all people, even nonfollowers. Btw, the dominant religeon in Idaho Falls and Pocatello is LDS too. We are all over the place and yet nonmormons keep moving here anyway..so, we must not be too bad. As for people who have said that they werent invited to anything because they werent mormon, how do you know that was why? Maybe you werent invited because you have made it clear you dont want to be around mormons, or perhaps it is becasue you say whatever you want about poeple without regards to their feelings. I certianly woudlnt invite you to my house because why would I want someone who doenst like me at my home? Perhaps you need to take a look at your own words and actions before accusing others. I have never been asked in the year that I have lived in Rigby if I am mormon or what ward I am in and have been invited to neiborhood get-togethers without anyone knowing what religeon I am. WHen I have attended, religeon was not brought up once. It si really sad that someone came here looking for informaiton about this town and was given so much negativity. ---an inactive mormon---
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2006, 06:03 PM
 
3 posts, read 11,321 times
Reputation: 11
Her is some useable information--
Rigby hasnt much to do. But, you are close enough to Idaho Falls to go to nice resturaunts, the zoo, GameWorld, movies etc... We have Jefferson County Resevoir which we refer to as "Rigby Lake". You can swim there for free. There is a shallow area if you have small children, you can take a canoe or innertubes. Because it is such a small town, it doesnt get overly crowded there. You can also have a cookout there or camp. We are just a few hours from Yellowstone National Park. So, it is great if you like the outdoors. We have 4 seasons, summer, fall, winter, and more winter. There is a local rodeo grounds and the crime rate is very small. Please do not let the negatvie comments bother you, you will make up your own mind. The only people I have had issues with are my upstars neighbors and my husband's girlfreind-nothign to do with religeous differences. You are welcome here wether you are Californian, nonCalifornian, Mormon or nonmormon. We are all just poeple and I hope you enjoy living here. It can be a culture shock if you are from the city but, I find the inexpensive living and the feelign that my children are relatively safe here quite comforting. P.S> do your grocery shopping in Idaho Falls-waaayyy expensive here
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2006, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 17,527,695 times
Reputation: 2170
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpiesMagpiesMagpies
Well, it's just that familiarity breeds contempt and I'm uniquely positioned to comment. Anyone moving to Rigby should be warned that the odds of moving next door to one of my cousins are better than average.

It's a mystery to me how anyone can pick Rigby as a destination short of throwing a dart at a map. *What* can these folks be doing for an income aside from living off their residual equity?! Are there some jobs outside of retail being created that the rest of us don't know about? Or does California just have a surplus of PhD's with valve patents who can find a Site gig?

I gotta know!

Magpies
I have tons of relatives there too, my grandparents built there house there in the 20's and died in their house, I went there every summer for 15 years, I do miss it but couldnt live there.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2006, 02:15 AM
 
7 posts, read 28,292 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by micky546
Gosh - we all have a right to live where we want to. However, what Rigby and any small town hate - and justifiably so - are Californians coming into their small town and complaining about the town and it's people. Californians are the worst at coming in and taking over a small town. They bring their California problems to nice small towns. My suggestion? Don't. Stay in California where you know the people and what they are like.
Micky- I recently moved from Ca to Rigby, I can guarantee you, you couldn't tell I came from there. You would probably think I had growen up here for that matter. The problem I see, is no one from Rigby likes change, there happy with the simple life, witch is fine, but unfortunately change is inevadable. Everyone complains about all the Californians comming in and as you say taking over a small town, but think about this. Everyone in Rigby knows someone who sold their house for double what they would have sold it for say two years ago, because of the Californians. So to me it sounds like a double standard. We don't want you here but we want your money. All the builders around Rigby are catering to the Californians, because they make twice as much as they would have 2 years ago. The guy who built my house said if I didn't buy it, he would have been stuck with it for at least 6 monthes, until winter was over and another Californian bought it. As far as LDS goes, I am not one, but know plenty of them, and get along just fine. My realtor is one and is one of my closest friends I have in Idaho. I guess what I'm trying to say, is give them a chance and quit Stereotyping the Californians, If they were as bad as you think they would probably be staying in Ca.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2006, 02:25 AM
 
Location: Stockton, Ca
313 posts, read 781,100 times
Reputation: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Micky- I recently moved from Ca to Rigby, I can guarantee you, you couldn't tell I came from there. You would probably think I had growen up here for that matter. The problem I see, is no one from Rigby likes change, there happy with the simple life, witch is fine, but unfortunately change is inevadable. Everyone complains about all the Californians comming in and as you say taking over a small town, but think about this. Everyone in Rigby knows someone who sold their house for double what they would have sold it for say two years ago, because of the Californians. So to me it sounds like a double standard. We don't want you here but we want your money. All the builders around Rigby are catering to the Californians, because they make twice as much as they would have 2 years ago. The guy who built my house said if I didn't buy it, he would have been stuck with it for at least 6 monthes, until winter was over and another Californian bought it. As far as LDS goes, I am not one, but know plenty of them, and get along just fine. My realtor is one and is one of my closest friends I have in Idaho. I guess what I'm trying to say, is give them a chance and quit Stereotyping the Californians, If they were as bad as you think they would probably be staying in Ca.
Thank you!! ITA! Can't wait to be up there!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2006, 02:34 AM
 
7 posts, read 28,292 times
Reputation: 14
When you moving? I moved from Discovery Bay.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2006, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Nowhere near Elko, NV
246 posts, read 260,937 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Micky- I recently moved from Ca to Rigby, I can guarantee you, you couldn't tell I came from there. You would probably think I had growen up here for that matter. .

Sez you.

Magpies
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2006, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Stockton, Ca
313 posts, read 781,100 times
Reputation: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
When you moving? I moved from Discovery Bay.
As soon as we possibly can! We were hoping to be there already but we have had some obstacles come up. The market is soooo slow out here right now that I am affraid we won't get to move out there til the spring. I'm not sure I want to move in the dead of winter!

So, you weren't too far from us then? What realty company did you go through, if you don't mind me asking? Our realtor has been great so far as well!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2006, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Rigby Idaho
1 posts, read 3,796 times
Reputation: 10
My family and I recently moved from Red Bluff CA. to here in the great town of Rigby. And I just was sickend to hear all the rude people thats not Rigby that not even Idaho. That one of the reasons we moved here was because the people are all so nice. And they welcomed us with opened arms. yes there are a majority of mormons. but who care we're not and every ones still excepting with us. o'though we do get subjected to joking about being from cali from our new friends but we have fun with it. I just wanted to say I love it here so does my kids and I couldn't amagine living any where else. There are good jobs we found them if you have the skill and background you can too. So if your your friendly looking for a nice safe place to raise your family. Welcome. but if you are those californias we moved away from and cali's you know what i mean. stay put.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2006, 06:21 PM
 
7 posts, read 28,292 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinTami View Post
As soon as we possibly can! We were hoping to be there already but we have had some obstacles come up. The market is soooo slow out here right now that I am affraid we won't get to move out there til the spring. I'm not sure I want to move in the dead of winter!

So, you weren't too far from us then? What realty company did you go through, if you don't mind me asking? Our realtor has been great so far as well!
We used Remax. They must have shown us 20 houses before we decided on one. We lived about 20 miles away from Stockton. I know the market is soft right now, I have several friends that are realtors and they say it's soft. Be patient, it will sell. Are you moving to Rigby?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top