U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-19-2006, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Central CA
318 posts, read 1,242,684 times
Reputation: 151

Advertisements

Hey, we folks in CA are not all that bad. My husband can work just about anywhere there is a forklift. Been in the business 30 years. I have no idea where Rigby is, we're looking close to Boise. As far as the LDS. I'm LDS. I don't think you have to be LDS in a small town to, act like small town. Anywhere you go in a small town folks want to know your business no matter where that small town is.

As far as how CA folks pic a place to move to. Well, how did you pick it?

Back to my research on Boise and the surrounding areas.

Izzy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-19-2006, 11:43 PM
 
Location: Stockton, Ca
313 posts, read 781,539 times
Reputation: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
We used Remax. They must have shown us 20 houses before we decided on one. We lived about 20 miles away from Stockton. I know the market is soft right now, I have several friends that are realtors and they say it's soft. Be patient, it will sell. Are you moving to Rigby?
We are going through Idaho Falls Realty. The market here is very bad right now. You can go weeks to a month without anyone looking at your house. When we bought our house 3 years ago, we saw it and put a bid the day it went on the market and there were 5 other bidders! It is a total buyers market. My Mom is a realtor (as is my FIL) and she said sellers are giving all kinds of perks just to get people into their home. It'll happen when it happens, but at this point I think that it might be better to wait until spring when my DH finishes college. We are actually looking at a property that is close to Ririe. Its in IF still but it is right near the Jefferson Bonneville county line. We are very anxious to be there!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2006, 12:58 PM
 
7 posts, read 28,307 times
Reputation: 14
We looked in IF Comora Loma and Quail Ridge, but the taxes were as expensive as Ca. Thats why we chose Rigby, it's in Jefferson county and has lower taxes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2006, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Southeast Idaho
4,764 posts, read 16,589,034 times
Reputation: 2720
I must be losing my marbles (if you see them please send them back )

I live just east of IF and my taxes are nowhere near as high as where my sister lives in CA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2006, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Stockton, Ca
313 posts, read 781,539 times
Reputation: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I must be losing my marbles (if you see them please send them back )

I live just east of IF and my taxes are nowhere near as high as where my sister lives in CA.
lol. Sorry, haven't seen them!

From all the research that we have done, it seems like the property taxes (the %) are about the same in IF as here. For us, the property taxes will be about the same but we will have several acres of land and a larger home compared to our 1400 sq. ft. home on .14 acre. Now for my Mom, if she were to move, her property taxes would be the same % but the house would be cheaper than what her current house cost her so her taxes would be lower.

Everything that I could find on tax info was that as a state ID was 1% property tax rate but that the dif counties could add more to that. Rural areas could be lower. Here in Ca our property tax amount is based on the purchase price of your home and they are allowed to review and possibly raise it if they need to. I know my Dad's house was bought in 1986 and we still pay the taxes based on that purchase price. From what I read about ID, they are allowed to raise the property taxes every couple of years based on your new aprox value? I would LOVE for someone to share if this info is correct or not. I have looked and looked and this is what a few different sites said as well as another community message board.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2006, 05:02 PM
 
7 posts, read 28,307 times
Reputation: 14
I believe but don't quote me on it. The taxes in Comora Loma, The dunes at sand creek, and another place "that I can't think of name of now" was 1.5%. Some of the houses we were looking at had taxes in the 8k a year range. I was paying around 6k a year in Ca, so that didn't make sense to me to pay that much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2006, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Southeast Idaho
4,764 posts, read 16,589,034 times
Reputation: 2720
Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinTami View Post
lol. Sorry, haven't seen them!

From all the research that we have done, it seems like the property taxes (the %) are about the same in IF as here. For us, the property taxes will be about the same but we will have several acres of land and a larger home compared to our 1400 sq. ft. home on .14 acre. Now for my Mom, if she were to move, her property taxes would be the same % but the house would be cheaper than what her current house cost her so her taxes would be lower.

Everything that I could find on tax info was that as a state ID was 1% property tax rate but that the dif counties could add more to that. Rural areas could be lower. Here in Ca our property tax amount is based on the purchase price of your home and they are allowed to review and possibly raise it if they need to. I know my Dad's house was bought in 1986 and we still pay the taxes based on that purchase price. From what I read about ID, they are allowed to raise the property taxes every couple of years based on your new aprox value? I would LOVE for someone to share if this info is correct or not. I have looked and looked and this is what a few different sites said as well as another community message board.
Yes, Bonneville County sends the asscessors out and if you feel they are too high or incorrect in any form you can dispute it. They have done mine since I bought it, I was one of the lucky 25% they were doing and their figures were lower than when we had it appraised this year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2006, 01:12 AM
 
Location: Stockton, Ca
313 posts, read 781,539 times
Reputation: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Yes, Bonneville County sends the asscessors out and if you feel they are too high or incorrect in any form you can dispute it. They have done mine since I bought it, I was one of the lucky 25% they were doing and their figures were lower than when we had it appraised this year.
That's good that their figures were lower. That's too bad that you were one of the lucky people! I had heard about the refiguring from a message board set up by the Idaho Statesman, I think. Mainly the people on there were from Boise so they were having a hard time with the increases each year since the house prices are going up so fast. Is there a max % that your taxes can go up when they reassess it? I seem to remember that if they reassess you here that it can only go up a certain percentage, but I am not sure on that. The taxes issue is one of the things that I am still working on figuring out the differences.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2006, 01:30 AM
 
Location: Southeast Idaho
4,764 posts, read 16,589,034 times
Reputation: 2720
You know, I'm not certain on there being a max, well I'm certain there is one just don't know what it is

I was reading today's Post Register and it looks as if they are going to shift part of the burden of education monies from homeowners to the mass public by raising the sales tax back up to 6 percent. In fact the gov'r is in favor of not having sales tax on groceries, currently anything and everything is subject to sales tax.

You do get a portion of monies spent on groceries back when doing state income tax, there's a box for grocery tax credit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2006, 02:00 AM
 
Location: Stockton, Ca
313 posts, read 781,539 times
Reputation: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
You know, I'm not certain on there being a max, well I'm certain there is one just don't know what it is

I was reading today's Post Register and it looks as if they are going to shift part of the burden of education monies from homeowners to the mass public by raising the sales tax back up to 6 percent. In fact the gov'r is in favor of not having sales tax on groceries, currently anything and everything is subject to sales tax.

You do get a portion of monies spent on groceries back when doing state income tax, there's a box for grocery tax credit.
hmm...I just looked on one of the relocation sites that I go to and it doesn't say how much they can raise it when they reassess. It seems like I am remembering up to 1% of your current taxes, here in Ca. I did see that Ca has an exemption of $7000 (which I knew from our taxes) and ID has an exemption of 50% or up to $50,000 of your assessed value.

Thats interesting about the groceries tax credit on your taxes. I was not looking forward to paying tax on my groceries! Thats too bad about the sales tax possibly going up! We were looking forward to 5% instead of 8% that we have here! I guess 6% is still better. When we there last July, someone mentioned that the sales tax had just gone back down to 5%. She said that they promised that it would go back down after a specific project but she didn't figure that it actually would. She was surprised that it actually went down!

So, did it say if there would be any adjustments to property taxes then? Or would they just not raise property taxes? If they leave property taxes alone, would they be giving more to schools than they currently are? I don't want to start seeing taxes of all kinds being raised and then not see any improvement in education or schools. We have major taxes and sales tax goes up all the time but we never see any improvement in schools. But we have big fancy brand new government buildings and they make a ton of $$ each year plus all the perks they give themselves.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top