U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 08:36 PM

4 posts, read 24,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziclvr74 View Post
My husband and 3 kids are moving to Rigby,ID from California. Does anyone have any info on Rigby??? What are the people like? Weather etc...
Well we just closed on our home in Rigby, and i can't wait to move in. Our house is 5600 sqft, which is a big diff. to our home in CA which was 2700 sqft. So far we have met quite a few of our neighbors and they have been extremely welcoming! Our neighbors across the street offered to get a group of people to help us move in... you will never see that in CA. Everyone here always has some kind of agenda. We stayed in our house for a few days with no furniture yet, but our property is so beautiful we spent most of the time outside. We will be living about 100 yds from the snake river, so we have awesome views from our house. Also what was really cool was my older kids made friends right away and they had tons of fun hangin out with them, now they can't wait to get out of CA. We originally chose Idaho Falls to move to because we were always asking people where would be a good place to raise a family, and many people said suprisingly Idaho or maybe Colorado. We went to Colorado and it just didn't fell right. I looked on realtor.com to look at what houses were available in Idaho Falls and adjoining areas, so when we looked at the house in Rigby, it just felt right. Also we couldn't beat the price for the land and sqft. Also the property taxes were alot less in Rigby. Our house is 10 years old and is 5600sqft on 2.4 acres and is beautiful and we paid $289000.00 that is an amazing price in comparison to homes in California. I just hope that once we move everyone stays nice and things go well. I don't need to be best friends with anyone, just as long as they treat my family good everything will be good!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2006, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 8,093 times
Btw, the dominant religeon in Idaho Falls and Pocatello is LDS too. We are all over the place and yet nonmormons keep moving here anyway..so, we must not be too bad. As for people who have said that they werent invited to anything because they werent mormon, how do you know that was why?

Look. Why do religion, when it is not leading you to God. The Almighty. Jesus died for our sins, but we have to repent, and confess Christ is Lord. It is not about how many planets we can live on, or anything else like that. We cant work our way to heaven, and we certainly cant get there without Jesus. Love is not just letting someone go to hell, it telling them God loves them, and to repent of our sinful ways.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:51 AM

4,919 posts, read 16,917,252 times
Quote:
Well we just closed on our home in Rigby, and i can't wait to move in. Our house is 5600 sqft, which is a big diff. to our home in CA which was 2700 sqft. So far we have met quite a few of our neighbors and they have been extremely welcoming! Our neighbors across the street offered to get a group of people to help us move in... you will never see that in CA. Everyone here always has some kind of agenda. We stayed in our house for a few days with no furniture yet, but our property is so beautiful we spent most of the time outside. We will be living about 100 yds from the snake river, so we have awesome views from our house. Also what was really cool was my older kids made friends right away and they had tons of fun hangin out with them, now they can't wait to get out of CA. We originally chose Idaho Falls to move to because we were always asking people where would be a good place to raise a family, and many people said suprisingly Idaho or maybe Colorado. We went to Colorado and it just didn't fell right. I looked on realtor.com to look at what houses were available in Idaho Falls and adjoining areas, so when we looked at the house in Rigby, it just felt right. Also we couldn't beat the price for the land and sqft. Also the property taxes were alot less in Rigby. Our house is 10 years old and is 5600sqft on 2.4 acres and is beautiful and we paid $289000.00 that is an amazing price in comparison to homes in California. I just hope that once we move everyone stays nice and things go well. I don't need to be best friends with anyone, just as long as they treat my family good everything will be good!
Just noticed this post. Welcome to the neighborhood.... well I'm up the road in IF but wind up in Rigby a few times a month

Sounds like everything is going well for you so far. That's great!

Old 03-27-2007, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 16,213 times
Angry From California to Rigby

I really am not trying to be rude, but unfortunatly there are alot of people who have the same idea as you. Lets sell our house in California and move to Idaho where houses are cheaper. What this has done to us Rigby natives is really terrible. I am not Mormon, so dont turn this religious, but we have a certain way of life in Rigby (and Menan, a small suburb), and all the people moving from California (and a few other states) are slaughtering everything we have worked our whole lives for. Property taxes and house prices have skyrocketed, there are horrible subdivisions popping up everywhere! That one makes me really mad. I think subdivisions are one of the most horrible thing in the world! What happened to tanning naked in your back yard? What happened to having a dog that isnt fenced up? What happened to letting your children play outside without having to watch them everysecond of the day. Now, this all sounds so wonderful, but all the people moving from California have ruined this way of life. It is no more. So if thats what your looking for, you will have to move to Idaho City, and slaughter another community.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 16,213 times
Are you kidding? I grew up Mormom and as soon as I legally could, I got the hell out. Mormons (only in our area, Mormons all over the rest of the country are not this way, I promise) are horrible to people who are not Mormon. They judge, they talk behind your back, they wont be friendly to you, and besides, the religion itself is a load of crap anyway. I could prove on so many levels that the religion is untrue, but members are lemmings just trying to fit in because if you are not mormon, your life will be hell.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:07 PM

7 posts, read 28,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigbytrojan View Post
I really am not trying to be rude, but unfortunatly there are alot of people who have the same idea as you. Lets sell our house in California and move to Idaho where houses are cheaper. What this has done to us Rigby natives is really terrible. I am not Mormon, so dont turn this religious, but we have a certain way of life in Rigby (and Menan, a small suburb), and all the people moving from California (and a few other states) are slaughtering everything we have worked our whole lives for. Property taxes and house prices have skyrocketed, there are horrible subdivisions popping up everywhere! That one makes me really mad. I think subdivisions are one of the most horrible thing in the world! What happened to tanning naked in your back yard? What happened to having a dog that isnt fenced up? What happened to letting your children play outside without having to watch them everysecond of the day. Now, this all sounds so wonderful, but all the people moving from California have ruined this way of life. It is no more. So if thats what your looking for, you will have to move to Idaho City, and slaughter another community.

I've said it before I'll say it again, It's the local builders in Rigby are catering to the out of staters. They are the ones building the 400k houses, to sell to whom? The local Rigby natives? I think not. I'm not targeting you, and I do sympathize with your situation, but come on it's just as much the builders fault as it is the out of staters. You can't fault people for moving here for a better way of life " cashing out on a house in Ca" people move for an easier life style. Honestly it's a no brainer, sell your house in Ca make 300k and buy a very modest house in Rigby for cash. I say if you can live with the weather you should do it. Why wouldn't you? 300k in Ca is barely a down payment anymore well at least thats how it was, the market has dropped rapidly.

The biggest problem I see, and it's in line with what you said. The economy here is still stuck in the 1980's 8-10 dollars an hour doesn't cut it anymore. Rigby and all of Idaho for that matter is changing, but they don't know how to handle the change. I would be pissed too if I was priced out of my own town, and you have a very legitimate complaint. Something besides the Lab has to be done to the economy, but don't blame people for moving here for a better life, thats just wrong.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 11,611 times
Quote:
My husband and 3 kids are moving to Rigby,ID from California. Does anyone have any info on Rigby??? What are the people like? Weather etc...
Rigbys a nice, quiet place. I live in driggs about45 min away and have some family/ friends there. It gets chiily in the winter, but if your a skiir u have plenty of resorts around

Old 04-09-2007, 10:16 PM

10 posts, read 72,054 times
Smile Gimmee a break...

Hey RigbyTrojan, welcome to America. People have been moving out of the expensive areas of the country to the more affordable, less expensive areas since the beginning of our great nation. Actually, didn't the first Americans come here searching for the same thing? Suck it up, all the Californians moving in are making your house a hell of alot more valuable. Someday, you'll be able to sell your house for a windfall profit and move to a more affordable, smaller area yourself. Hey outsiders, welcome to Idaho! It's a beautiful state! Glad you could make it! Enjoy!

Old 04-09-2007, 10:19 PM

10 posts, read 72,054 times
Talking ...

And everyone wondering about where all of these outsiders are working?? I have several friends that work over the computer and internet doing software development, sales, etc. for their companies that are based in L.A., Boston, Dallas, etc. You don't need to work somewhere to live there anymore!

Old 04-10-2007, 11:02 AM

630 posts, read 2,309,232 times
Default Welcome

Welcome to Idaho.
You will find that it is a great place to live.
We have been away for over 11 years and have been trying to get back for the last 4 years.
Hopefully, this will be the year.
You will find good people, great neighbors, and yes, complainers.
Just like anywhere else.
What I have really missed the most is my mountains.
I could live probably anywhere in Idaho, as long as, I can see my mountains.
Just can't get Idaho out of our blood.... LOL...

I went to school in Rexburg, pre-flood... that's when the Teton Dam broke, and flooded the area of St. Anthony, Sugar City, Rexburg, Rigby, all the way to Idaho Falls.
It really changed the look of the area.
But, the people all came together to get everything cleaned up.

I'm glad that you have gotten to meet some of your neighbors.
You will find that Rigby is very family oriented.
It's a small community, but, I'm sure that you will fit in just fine.

Don't let people try to scare you off.
I'm a Christian. I was raised Mormon, and I've seen both sides of the fence.
If you have a Mormon missionary come to your door, and you don't want to listen, then, politely tell them so. They will leave you alone.
Also you won't be austrasized just because you aren't a Mormon.

The important thing to remember is not to compare California vs. Idaho.
I think this is what upsets Idahoans the most.
The animosity comes when someone from California complains about the way things are in Idaho, and they want Idaho to change to the way it was where they moved from.
It's really like this in a lot of places, not just in Idaho.
Wherever there is a large group of people moving into an area, you will find resentments.
In Tennessee it is the people from Michigan, New York, and especially Florida.
In Montana they have a lot of people moving in from all over.
In Idaho it has been a large influx of Californians.
It seems that there is a lot of moving around right now...
and a lot of it has to do with the baby boomers retiring, or getting ready to retire and want something different.

My reason for moving back to Idaho is because I am homesick, and a lot of my family lives or has been buried there.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls