U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:13 AM

26 posts, read 165,908 times

Advertisements

I was born, raised in Rigby - 21 years and my parents still live there. I came out to Eugene, Oregon 13 years ago to go to school and stayed. We only get over to Rigby once a year to visit family, but it always surprises me how much the place is growing. My parents used to have acres and acres of just pasture behind their house. Now that property has all been sold and turned into sub divisions.

It is o.k. to visit, but I couldn't live there, maybe because I grew up there - LOL. The climate is a little too dry for me, I don't miss the icy roads in the winter and I have grown attached to the pacific northwest, the rain and loads of trees and HUMIDITY.

One thing that I did not like about Rigby, and that I am always reminded of when I visit, is that there seemed to be a lot of "Keeping up with the Joneses." They tend to talk a bit more about each other, who has what, who is doing what, what they look like. That is one thing I like about where I live - people don't care about that kind of stuff.

And although it is close to Idaho Falls, which offers a lot - it still felt too small town for me.

Hope you are enjoying Rigby however! I will say that getting up to Island Park during the winter to do some cross country skiing at Harriman is REALLY nice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 01:31 PM

495 posts, read 404,817 times
Hi All,
I'm from Montana.
But from reading this thread it looks like the american dream is alive and thriving in Rigby as it is here in Montana,
Yes the new american dream, cash out on your California (Seattle, or wherever), and move to some place else cheap with mountains and retire early on the extra cash from the house sale.
It's not a bad deal if you can swing it. If you happen to be on the, shall we say California side of the fence, course if you are a kid growing up in the likes of Rigby, by the time you get around to having a family and want to buy a house, you won't be buying it in your home town, not at those inflated prices and your job, unless of course you parents owned that ranch they just subdivided up and gave you half the cash.
Yup the new American Dream. Everybody can just sell their house, move and retire. Course if your just up and coming and/or never got in to a home years ago.......well then you are pretty much screwed, you'll have to do it the old fashion way and actually have to work for your retirement, 'course your have to contend with the inflated cost of living, seein' how all that new-and-got-it-for-nothing money is coming to your bit of lost paradise.
You know I never had a problem with all the people who wanted to flock to the likes of Seattle and LA, to pursue their 'careers' and make their bucks, but now after they got theirs, they wanna take it and flee leaving their problems behind the problems they help create, they wanna cash out that house and come up here and make problems for me, I'm just finding the tough to swallow, I kinda' liked my small town the way it was.
Something just doesn't sit right with me when I see a new McMansion going in across from my favorite fishing hole and the new retirees moving in got it all for just selling a house some place else, well god bless'm I guess, but heck I'm feeling like the new poor and there ain't much hope for my kids to get a decent place now with all this new money having pushed prices thru the roof around here, and heck I can't even enjoy my old fishing hole in peace anymore.
Just a thought incase some of you are getting a little whiff of anomosity in some of the posts.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,428 times
Rigby is a nice town however very hard to find work in area I was only able to work as electrician 6 month out of year.You would be better to move Tacoma,Seattle or everett

Old 05-23-2007, 01:51 AM

39 posts, read 195,032 times
I moved to Rigby 3 years ago and love it. You are totally welcome here no matter where you're from. If you love the outdoors there are a ton of fun things to do. Do you have a house yet?

Old 05-23-2007, 01:29 PM

174 posts, read 396,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziclvr74 View Post
Well i guess it's a little too late for that, we already purchased the house. So far all i have heard from most people on this site is negative comments. What is wrong with Californians. Trust me i have no problems. I just want a nice place to raise my family.
Were you BORN in California? If not, then where were you REALLY from?

Old 05-23-2007, 01:32 PM

174 posts, read 396,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post
Hi All,
I'm from Montana.
But from reading this thread it looks like the american dream is alive and thriving in Rigby as it is here in Montana,
Yes the new american dream, cash out on your California (Seattle, or wherever), and move to some place else cheap with mountains and retire early on the extra cash from the house sale.
It's not a bad deal if you can swing it. If you happen to be on the, shall we say California side of the fence, course if you are a kid growing up in the likes of Rigby, by the time you get around to having a family and want to buy a house, you won't be buying it in your home town, not at those inflated prices and your job, unless of course you parents owned that ranch they just subdivided up and gave you half the cash.
Yup the new American Dream. Everybody can just sell their house, move and retire. Course if your just up and coming and/or never got in to a home years ago.......well then you are pretty much screwed, you'll have to do it the old fashion way and actually have to work for your retirement, 'course your have to contend with the inflated cost of living, seein' how all that new-and-got-it-for-nothing money is coming to your bit of lost paradise.
You know I never had a problem with all the people who wanted to flock to the likes of Seattle and LA, to pursue their 'careers' and make their bucks, but now after they got theirs, they wanna take it and flee leaving their problems behind the problems they help create, they wanna cash out that house and come up here and make problems for me, I'm just finding the tough to swallow, I kinda' liked my small town the way it was.
Something just doesn't sit right with me when I see a new McMansion going in across from my favorite fishing hole and the new retirees moving in got it all for just selling a house some place else, well god bless'm I guess, but heck I'm feeling like the new poor and there ain't much hope for my kids to get a decent place now with all this new money having pushed prices thru the roof around here, and heck I can't even enjoy my old fishing hole in peace anymore.
Just a thought incase some of you are getting a little whiff of anomosity in some of the posts.
WHEW.....smells like sour grapes to me! EVERYBODY comes from somewhere! Were you BORN in ID? If so, then you know you're a minority. You can always sell YOUR place and go to Louisiana and buy into a 'ground floor' opportunity!

Old 05-25-2007, 11:16 AM

7,805 posts, read 17,582,381 times
JoeJoeMan...

First off, I'm writing from Colorado, not California. However, I did live in California for 7 years in the 80's and it really wasn't a bad place. I didn't buy a home so I missed out on the real estate boom.

You said, "if you are a kid growing up in the likes of Rigby, by the time you get around to having a family and want to buy a house, you won't be buying it in your home town"

Actually, I think the kid growing up in California might have an even harder time affording real estate in California than a kid growing up in Rigby.

In fairness to those folks reaping the benefit of appreciation on their California homes...they took the risk of buying it in the first place without any guarantees that it would appreciate in value. However, they did happen to be in the right place at the right time...and they took action...unlike myself! Why despise them for their good fortune. It won't put money in your pocket.

You wrote, "they wanna cash out that house and come up here and make problems for me". I strongly disagree with you on the part where you say they want to make problems for you. Most of those people don't even know you exist. I'm guessing that your real problem is that you won't accept the changes that are happening all around you, that you are more comfortable with the past than you are with what's happening right now. Why should they not cash out if that's what they want to do? Last time I checked the USA was still a relatively free country.

Unfortunately in my opinion, the good ole USA has become more and more a country of entitlement. Some people ( not everyone ) living in desirable areas and elsewhere think that because they were born in a certain place they should be exempt from the financial realities that everyone else is dealing with too. Some feel entitled to a certain fishing hole, or some think they should be exempt from paying higher prices for real estate, etc. I think you get the picture.

My intention is not to criticize you, just to point your thinking in another direction for a moment. In many ways I too wish things could revert back to the way they were at some time in the past but that's not likely to happen and I'm not holding my breath. I can still feel the disappointment & frustration of having a housing development built on MY childhood baseball field in Pennsylvania! Outrageous, how could they do that to me! I can relate to your frustration at not being able to "enjoy your fishing hole in peace". However, your animosity toward the newcomers is only hurting your and robbing you of the very peace you desire. Your animosity won't keep them from coming. The land rush is on so to speak and the boomers are coming wether we like it or not. I think what we've seen thus far is just the tip of the iceberg. For your own peace of mind I hope you can make the adjustment. Maybe even go out of your way and make friends with some of the newcomers. You might discover that you have more in common than you ever thought possible, and perhaps you'll have some great new friends in your life. Wouldn't that be great!

Many Blessings......Franco

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 05-25-2007 at 12:52 PM..

Old 05-25-2007, 05:16 PM

121 posts, read 696,232 times
I'm an Idaho native and have had a very good job since college. But I also feel like the "new poor" with all the multi-millionaires moving into the state. My once pristine and quiet neighborhood full of great people has been slowly degenerating into what resembles a southern California tract house trash block. Numerous lowlifes have moved into the area since they can't afford the newer houses going for $250k to $400K. I'm now surrounded by surly, drunken idiots, many of whom don't seem to speak English, incessantly barking dogs, blasting car stereos, drag racing punks and other scum. The neighborhood where I wanted to retire I now can't wait to move out of. Do I hate Californians? No, I just hate the end result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post

Old 07-13-2007, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,293 times
Default rigby

Rigby is an awesome little town a great place to raise a family it is small and homey but only a short drive away from the shopping also the people in rigby for the majority are wonderful and are allways there to help each other with things there is know way when you come here that you will be able to move your stuff alone you will have half the neighborhood there to help faster then you can blink I think that you will be making a great move.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:37 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,947,749 times
Lightbulb There are Dozens of Jobs for Licensed Electricians - May Require On-site, away from Home, for some work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky180 View Post
Rigby is a nice town however very hard to find work in area I was only able to work as electrician 6 month out of year.You would be better to move Tacoma,Seattle or everett
Sparky180,

I don't know if you are still living in the Rigby area or not. Honestly, I read your post and was shocked.

If you are a licensed electrician and looking for f/t work, please send me a PM and I'll give you the name of a major Idaho Falls company begging for about 30 more licensed electricians. They can't keep up with their workload.

I'm wondering if it's more of a "connection" problem (no pun intended) as I've almost gotten the impression from some at this business, they view all qualified electricians moving into the area, are already swamped.

Given where this company does business, some travel to other areas for certain jobs may be necessary, but isn't that how it is with most large sub-contractors in the building business these days? Perhaps that is what you were referencing when saying you could only work as an electrician in Rigby about 6 months a year.

That may be very accurate for the City of Rigby, but IMO, your experience is not an accurate reflection of the need for qualified electricians to work with at least one large Idaho Falls electrical company, if not others as well. Please don't misunderstand - I respect what you've written about your experience. I'm just wondering why when dozens of jobs 12 miles away were available you could only work 6 months of the year.

Did you read the special news coverage in 2006 about one company in particular being quite worried how they would replace enough of their electricians old enough to retire, let alone add to their employees, given their increasing workload? However, this company works on major construction projects throughout the Intermountain West and you may want to work each day in the city where you reside, which is perfectly understandable.

So I must respectfully disagree and state I'm aware of many jobs for licensed electricians in the Idaho Falls area to continue decades on excellent work and excellent reputation throughout the Intermountain West states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls