U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 09:38 PM

277 posts, read 379,167 times

Advertisements

This is all very helpful, thank you!

I have no concerns about LDS neighbors at all. I homeschool my children so I'm also not concerned about the schools or them having issues being isolated in schools that are mostly LDS. I'm very live and let live. I don't care to get involved in town gossip or other peoples business for that matter. I just want to live a simple life with my husband, kids and dogs and be happy, you know? I'm interested in living and making our home in a smaller town/semi-rural setting if possible but also have the amenities of the bigger city not that far away (as in, not 3 hours away as they are right now). I love the amount of activities that I.F. Parks and Rec offers and I'll also be happier to be closer to a bigger variety of restaurants and shopping again.

I love house-hunting so I'm actually looking forward to this. I feel that we are definitely in the right area of the state for us now, we just need to narrow down our town/city. I can't wait to come down and check things out in person.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 12:01 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,947,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngirlatheart View Post
This is all very helpful, thank you!

I have no concerns about LDS neighbors at all. I homeschool my children so I'm also not concerned about the schools or them having issues being isolated in schools that are mostly LDS. I'm very live and let live. I don't care to get involved in town gossip or other peoples business for that matter. I just want to live a simple life with my husband, kids and dogs and be happy, you know? I'm interested in living and making our home in a smaller town/semi-rural setting if possible but also have the amenities of the bigger city not that far away (as in, not 3 hours away as they are right now). I love the amount of activities that I.F. Parks and Rec offers and I'll also be happier to be closer to a bigger variety of restaurants and shopping again.

I love house-hunting so I'm actually looking forward to this. I feel that we are definitely in the right area of the state for us now, we just need to narrow down our town/city. I can't wait to come down and check things out in person.
You're welcome. Cleosmom often has good assessments of areas too. You'll be fine among LDS and non-LDS. People find what they are look for. My one concern would be other children for your children to have as friends. I often suggest when someone is new to an area moves in, to do two things: Volunteer to be part of something in the community. Residents take that to mean you care about the area too. Secondly, have a neighborhood party when you move. It's often easier for the one moving than those buried in their schedules. Just be polite introducing yourselves and what attacked you to the community. I'd be surprised if guests aren't receptive.

There are other parents who home school. The local school district and public library will probably know. Even though they are small, most of the community libraries host story hours or reading time. Many home school parents utilize those times for their children.

Let us know what other questions you have. Mostly, people around here want to make sure new residents will be good neighbors, be there if there is an emergency, will share recipes etc. Treating people with respect gets a lot of respect headed back your way.

One person I suggested a party to went ahead and invited her neighbors. She had LDS and non- LDS. It wasn't an issue, no one in the neighborhood where she lives had ever gotten the females together. They had a blast with some light food and drinks. The neighbors told her how much fun it was. One volunteered to host the next month and now they are into several months. There are always remarkable people when one stops long enough to get to know them.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 728 times
Default You Moved from Calif we are moving from AZ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziclvr74 View Post
Well we just closed on our home in Rigby, and i can't wait to move in. Our house is 5600 sqft, which is a big diff. to our home in CA which was 2700 sqft. So far we have met quite a few of our neighbors and they have been extremely welcoming! Our neighbors across the street offered to get a group of people to help us move in... you will never see that in CA. Everyone here always has some kind of agenda. We stayed in our house for a few days with no furniture yet, but our property is so beautiful we spent most of the time outside. We will be living about 100 yds from the snake river, so we have awesome views from our house. Also what was really cool was my older kids made friends right away and they had tons of fun hangin out with them, now they can't wait to get out of CA. We originally chose Idaho Falls to move to because we were always asking people where would be a good place to raise a family, and many people said suprisingly Idaho or maybe Colorado. We went to Colorado and it just didn't fell right. I looked on realtor.com to look at what houses were available in Idaho Falls and adjoining areas, so when we looked at the house in Rigby, it just felt right. Also we couldn't beat the price for the land and sqft. Also the property taxes were alot less in Rigby. Our house is 10 years old and is 5600sqft on 2.4 acres and is beautiful and we paid $289000.00 that is an amazing price in comparison to homes in California. I just hope that once we move everyone stays nice and things go well. I don't need to be best friends with anyone, just as long as they treat my family good everything will be good!
Hi, I read your post and there is no year as to when you moved to Rigby? Today is Nov 4, 2018. We are older but most of our kids and grandkids (and greats) live in Idaho Falls. I've noticed the prices in Rigby are a little less as well. I'm wondering how you have coped with the snow being from Calif?? And according to statistics it snows a little heavier in Rigby than in Idaho Falls?? Your probably still out working and we would not be, but we are down by the Phoenix area in Arizona and have never lived in the snow. I understand that in some snow places that if you hire a guy to do your lawn in the warm months that he is available in the winter months to plow your driveway etc?? I'm hot all the time (don't know if it's hormones or what, but my husband is cold all the time!?? We want to be closer to family in case we need help as we get even older, know what I mean? We are pretty much cooped up in the house in the summer, so we think we could just turn that around and be cooped up in the winter. We are looking forward to 4 seasons as we are Arizona transplants from the San Diego area of Calif!! Any info you could offer me would be greatly appreciated. We are not iffy about a small town as my husband grew up in a small town north east of San Diego up in the mountains called Ramona CA, and we raised our kids there. And we are not Morman but we know for a fact that it seems like all Morman people are friendly and gracious! Thank you, Mary T. from Sun City, AZ

Old 11-04-2018, 01:44 PM

25,746 posts, read 17,180,767 times
Hi, Marynelda...
The original post is from 2006, so it's unlikely that you'll get an answer from muziclvr.

As an Idaho Falls native, I can say this:
Since Rigby is only 7 miles from Idaho Falls, the weather is the same in both cities.

The snowfall will be the same, but since the country around Rigby is a little more open- farm fields- and the town is smaller, there will be more snow drift if the wind blows. The drift can pile up during a breezy day more where there's open space around.

Lawn care companies here do plow snow during the winter, but it depends on the particular company. Some stick to summer work only. There are others who only do winter plow work.

All the rest of your questions would be best answered by a visit out here during the winter for at least a week or two. You would find our summers to be very nice; most of the summer is around 80º, and the twilight here lingers for a long time in the evenings.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:55 PM

3 posts, read 1,734 times
Exclamation I had been looking in Rigby for over a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziclvr74 View Post
Well we just closed on our home in Rigby, and i can't wait to move in. Our house is 5600 sqft, which is a big diff. to our home in CA which was 2700 sqft. So far we have met quite a few of our neighbors and they have been extremely welcoming! Our neighbors across the street offered to get a group of people to help us move in... you will never see that in CA. Everyone here always has some kind of agenda. We stayed in our house for a few days with no furniture yet, but our property is so beautiful we spent most of the time outside. We will be living about 100 yds from the snake river, so we have awesome views from our house. Also what was really cool was my older kids made friends right away and they had tons of fun hangin out with them, now they can't wait to get out of CA. We originally chose Idaho Falls to move to because we were always asking people where would be a good place to raise a family, and many people said suprisingly Idaho or maybe Colorado. We went to Colorado and it just didn't fell right. I looked on realtor.com to look at what houses were available in Idaho Falls and adjoining areas, so when we looked at the house in Rigby, it just felt right. Also we couldn't beat the price for the land and sqft. Also the property taxes were alot less in Rigby. Our house is 10 years old and is 5600sqft on 2.4 acres and is beautiful and we paid $289000.00 that is an amazing price in comparison to homes in California. I just hope that once we move everyone stays nice and things go well. I don't need to be best friends with anyone, just as long as they treat my family good everything will be good!
I'm from California too. And I'd been looking at Rigby, Idaho, for over a year (mostly online) even got a subscription to Idaho Falls Magazine. I finally flew there in February for a week, and just drove back in May to buy a house.

I found a 5400 sf home built in 2013, on 1.7 acre in Rigby. Nice tiled heated floors, heated patio, 2 on demand water heaters, central vac, back up generator, with open tiled floor basement ready for my home gym, pool table, and jukebox, 4 car garage. I was happy and thought the snow would be the worst of my issues living here, until the inspection. I ordered a radon report. This is when I did a 180 and backed out of the deal. Safe radon limit is about 4. It was 7.5. It's a moderate level, but I prefer a low level. This did not set well with me since I don't want to worry about the air I'm breathing in my gym! And with the home closed up most of the year because it's cold. Even thought the sellers would have to install a mitigation system, I didn't want to rely on a mitigation system and have a fan running 24/7. So I am no longer considering Idaho. And when the power goes out you should hope your back up generator works. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer. Many people live with this radioactive gas living in their homes and have no idea what it is. Go further north and it's even higher levels. No thanks. I will probably go back to Southern Oregon where I lived for 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls