Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2007, 04:50 AM

6 posts, read 9,786 times

Advertisements

Hello all...I currently live in the Winston-Salem, N.C. area. I'm 36 and have been in North Carolina all of my life. I have A 3 week job interview with A Company in Idaho Falls. I'll be leaving out on the 6th of May. I was hoping (I've never been farther West than Memphis) that I could get some info on the area, what to expect, and maybe some hints on websites that I could look at pictures of the Town. I do currently live in A small town just Southeast of the Blue Ridge Mountains. I love the outdoors, as does my wife and 2 Daughters. We love the Mountains, and beautiful scenery. We will not, and refuse to live in A big city. (Been there, done that).
From what I have researched on the internet, I think we will like it there, and I'm hoping the people will like us as well. My daughters are 9yrs and 11 yrs old. We are very excited about the parks and attractions that lie within A stones throw from Idaho Falls, and I do like to Ski. We would probably want to live on the outskirts of Town, but will driving 15 minutes to Idaho Falls (from outside the city) be bad in the Winter? I've heard mixed, and quite differing opinions about annual snowfall in the area.
In North Carolina, it can get in the Teens in the Mountanous regions in Winter, but not A lot of snow. More ice than anything, and not even that much of that in the last 7 or 8 years. Global Warming? I don't know but something is definitely causing milder winters here than they used to be. I was wondering if A long time resident if Idaho could verify the same in your area? Summers here can reach temperatures of 90-95 degrees in June, July, and sometimes August. With humidity, these variances in temperature can be terrible. I hate the extreme heat, and humidity of 80-90% is A breath taker. Anyway, any input I can get would be greatly appreciated, and I sincerely thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 07:16 AM

630 posts, read 2,428,839 times
You won't find much humidity, it's more of a dryer heat.
Idaho Falls has a website, here....
Idaho Falls (http://www.ci.idaho-falls.id.us/main/Index.asp - broken link)
and here...
Id Falls Chamber
one more...(this one basically has links to the first two, and more..)
Info

Old 04-30-2007, 07:26 AM

5,323 posts, read 18,235,162 times
There are a few pictures of IF on the city's website:
http://www.ci.idaho-falls.id.us/main/Index.asp (broken link)

Living on the outskirts of town can sometimes hamper you when it comes to winter driving. Depends just which way you'll be living. Interstate 15 has been known to close at times during winter from any point in between Exit 80 (Ft. Hall reservation) on northward to exit 123, due to blowing snow. Yes, the roads do indeed get icy in winter. Of late our winters have been wonky at best; not this winter but the year before we actually had decent snowfall. This year I could count the actual decent storms on one hand.

Not wanting to live in a big city, wholly dependent on your opinion of big, be wary this area is booming. We moved here in '91 and the population was 30,000, less than 20 years later and it's nearly doubled.

Humidity? Hardly any comparing to what you're living in now. We might see it up to 48% when a storm is coming on, basically it's an arid climate. Yes, it can get into the upper 90's in July and August at times flirting with 100*, however it might last a week or two at best.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:09 PM

6 posts, read 9,786 times
Thank you Idaho Return...Thank you Cleo's mom. I have read several posts on this site and was hoping to hear from you. You seem willing to help answer questions. I'll be leaving on the 6th of May, and return to Carolina on the 25th. I'll know A lot more about what I'll be getting myself into then. (Not weather variation, but Idaho Falls in general). I'm very much looking forward to the trip.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:35 PM

34 posts, read 132,636 times
base on what you said you are used to in NC, you'd probably really enjoy Idaho Falls, the cost of living is very cheap compared to the rest of the US, I live in Utah but originally from IF, I love Idaho, I would move back in a heartbeat but it's not the best place for a college aged guy looking for a big party scene, people are pretty nice and laid back, maybe I'll end up there again someday, the mountains are bigger and the skiing is better, Grand Targhee, Jackson Hole, you wouldn't regret it.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:59 AM

39 posts, read 207,660 times
You will love it here. My family does. Read my other posts as I have written a lot about the things I like. Also, my husband is a Realtor if you are looking for a home. He is great and can help you out. Good Luck!

Old 06-03-2007, 09:06 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,403,755 times
Question Your Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratomaster View Post
Thank you Idaho Return...Thank you Cleo's mom. I have read several posts on this site and was hoping to hear from you. You seem willing to help answer questions. I'll be leaving on the 6th of May, and return to Carolina on the 25th. I'll know A lot more about what I'll be getting myself into then. (Not weather variation, but Idaho Falls in general). I'm very much looking forward to the trip.
Stratonmaster-

I will be interested to hear what you thought of the area, given your recent trip. I hope you were able to see the new developments well underway, at Taylor's Crossing and now Snake River Landing. SRL is just working on Phase I (total of 4 when finished).

Per Taylor's Crossing, about 300 Acres more of Greenbelt is being developed and will be developed to the level the rest of the Greenbelt currently is.

There are major changes at INL with new missions and with CAES being built, a lot will start happening next year. I don't know what type of work you do, but I hope it was a safe and pleasant experience for you. I think many could benefit from reading some of your experiences when visiting Idaho Falls.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:38 AM

5,323 posts, read 18,235,162 times
Glad you brought this post back up to the top, I too am interested in the OP view of Idaho Falls.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:38 PM

39 posts, read 207,660 times
So are you back from your trip? What did you think?

Old 06-05-2007, 04:49 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,403,755 times
Post Idaho Business I.Q. Article about Idaho Falls

Stratomaster,

First I must apologize for spelling your username incorrectly before. I don't know if you'll return to this site or not to report to others about your trip. Upon reading further comments of many, I've decided to post this link as I think it could be very informative to many, from a neutral source.

This article is from Idaho Business I.Q. Magazine. It is an interesting read for those looking at the Idaho Falls Area. I hope it is helpful.

http://www.idahobusinessiq.com/article.asp?r=626&iid=43&sid=1 (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: