U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:10 PM

634 posts, read 2,163,760 times

Advertisements

Have to agree with ya, Western Gal. The Southeastern Asian food choices are a little lacking in this area, but I suppose that's to be expected.

Apparently there used to be a good Indian restaurant in Pocatello, but was recently told that it changed ownership, went to Pakistani cuisine, and isn't nearly as good.

A good friend of mine (who happens to be half-Thai) drives to Salt Lake once a month to get supplies for homemade dishes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 04:35 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,947,749 times
Lightbulb Economy, Areva, Building the First 2 Spec Bldg/Labs on U. Blvd. & CAES etc. all are factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breer23 View Post
Thanks, MSR, for pointing out how out of touch I am with normal life & society - lol. Sorry, haven't been keeping up with the news lately - big project to finish at work by 9/30.

To touch on another part of your post, I too am surprised that no fast-food or small restaurants have popped up around university place. I thought perhaps it was a zoning issue, but it looks as if there used to be a Puerto Vallarta next to the Conoco on Fremont @ Science Center Dr. That leaves the closest eateries as Puerto Vallarta and A Little Bit of Mexico, both on the east side of tracks on Lincoln/Science Center Dr.

Hell, we could at the VERY least use a decent coffeehouse, even if it was of the drive-thru variety! Villa Coffeehouse (downtown) is preferred and only a 5 minute drive from campus but they close at 5 p.m., which leaves those of us on the night shift with the Starbucks in the Fred Meyer, the Conoco at Science Center and Fremont, or the Sinclair on Lincoln as our "go-to" options.
Breer 23,

I'm like you. I rarely see the news. It was more a fluke I saw that headline than anything.

I think there have been zoning issues in the past in the University Blvd area. About 3-4 years ago I participated in a non-scientific, just good old, "What would you like to see built where." A coffee shop near University Center/University Blvd. was first on my list, with fast food and other support bussinesses in the mix. Others agreed about the need.

I think get Voight-Davis to complete those first two buildings on University Blvd (4 are planned), getting CAES built etc. and the general infrastructure in place had to happen first. Two years ago, that was vacant land (maybe 2.5 years ago). I honestly look for that area to be one of the hottest spots of development in Idaho Falls for smaller businesses.

Yes, coffee shops are needed by students studying. Have you mentioned the need/want to the solo owner (now) of the Villa? Not saying she wants to move, but she may know others who are interested in finding the right location to open a coffee shop that would stay open later.

I think this speaks a bit to what I was writing pw72 in the post about Idaho Falls vs. Pocatello and age. I think so many have focused on hotel row (Lindsay Blvd) in Idaho Falls and now SRL and TC that many have forgotten to review the data of who is attending college and/or grad school in Idaho Falls.

Maybe one of the Ph.D. Chemistry students will have to open his/her own brew spot with coffee and other. Better yet, maybe your friend who is 1/2 Thai might want to think of opening a restaurant in that area and initially share space with a coffee shop.

I'd be letting some of the local developers or even people like the owners of the new Wendy's in Ammon know about the need/traffic flow. Or, one of the Java ?? is owned in Idaho Falls (one of the drive throughs, I do get them mixed up. The one with about 4-5 locations). If you like their coffee, I'd let them know where you spend your day/night and about how many other people are there too. I don't know how many that own local restaurants (chains or originals) or coffee drive through stands, know the number of adults in the Science Center/ University Blvd, let alone University Place area during the day and at night. Those numbers do split out into daytime and nightime, so maybe that is what is holding some back. Perhaps they don't think a restaurant could make it with lower nighttime numbers. I say think out of the box on this one. There are business opportunities in the University Blvd. area, no doubt.

Or, it may be with Areva announced, some who were planning on University Blvd. are thinking now more west on west Broadway. Still, I'd hang in there with University Blvd. as I saw info months ago about a small strip mall with a few businesses opening. Business has to start somewhere, why not a strip mall? As in most things this last year, I think the economy has stalled some construction, but we're starting to see some changes in that recently. Just be glad you have MORE time to stick around and see the changes in two more years.

MSR

Old 09-23-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
I think there have been zoning issues in the past in the University Blvd area. About 3-4 years ago I participated in a non-scientific, just good old, "What would you like to see built where." A coffee shop near University Center/University Blvd. was first on my list, with fast food and other support bussinesses in the mix. Others agreed about the need.

Yes, coffee shops are needed by students studying. Have you mentioned the need/want to the solo owner (now) of the Villa? Not saying she wants to move, but she may know others who are interested in finding the right location to open a coffee shop that would stay open later.
Funny enough, I was at the Villa yesterday to pick up my pick-me-up for my evening class, and talked with the manager (and she may perhaps be the owner, too) about possible expansion of: a) the hours of their downtown shop, and b) their business to a new (or additional) location. She seemed much more open to the second idea, as apparently the first one failed miserably not all that long ago.

Maybe it planted a seed that might lead to getting a local coffee shop to move to the NW side of IF!

Old 09-23-2009, 11:26 PM

4,755 posts, read 16,572,695 times
Okay while we were dining at Pettolino's (sp?) tonight, the owner and I were talking about how I found him on the 'net, Props to you breer and I had mentioned how we'd been discussing the lack of eateries near the campus in IF. According to him they are building a Bambino's pizza (chain) right by there.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:03 AM

Cool Nice Work, Sleuth (Cleosmom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Okay while we were dining at Pettolino's (sp?) tonight, the owner and I were talking about how I found him on the 'net, Props to you breer and I had mentioned how we'd been discussing the lack of eateries near the campus in IF. According to him they are building a Bambino's pizza (chain) right by there.
Good detective work cleosmom. I knew some people had franchises lined up, but didn't know who was ready to go first.

Bambino's pizza - I've honestly never heard of it. Looks like it is an east coast type of pizza company and they do focud on campuses for locations.

Good our discussion has turned into action and confirmation for Breer23 and colleagues to know food/pizza is on the way.

MSR

Old 09-24-2009, 11:48 AM
sav

62 posts, read 285,391 times
To the original poster:

Original Thai 2 just opened on 17th E by Albertson's. They had a branch in Rexburg and just opened one in IF. I think their thai food is quite tasty.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:00 AM

Talking I'd Trust SAV'S Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav View Post
To the original poster:

Original Thai 2 just opened on 17th E by Albertson's. They had a branch in Rexburg and just opened one in IF. I think their thai food is quite tasty.
If SAV thinks it is good, try the restuarant.

MSR

Old 09-26-2009, 08:21 AM

4,755 posts, read 16,572,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav View Post
To the original poster:

You beat me to the punch. Just had a client mention this yesterday so I
was going to post it. Nice to see again SAV

Old 10-20-2009, 10:18 AM

42 posts, read 108,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Good detective work cleosmom. I knew some people had franchises lined up, but didn't know who was ready to go first.

Bambino's pizza - I've honestly never heard of it. Looks like it is an east coast type of pizza company and they do focud on campuses for locations.

Good our discussion has turned into action and confirmation for Breer23 and colleagues to know food/pizza is on the way.

MSR
Bambino's pizza is not coming to IF, it's Pickett's Bambino. Here is their website: Pickett's Bambino - Rigby, Idaho
Very tasty pizza pockets.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:54 AM

LOL, I've driven by that sign 100 times, and the logo sort of looks like a saw blade if you pass it quickly (i.e. in a car). I thought it was a hardware store moving in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls