U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2009, 07:01 PM

6 posts, read 15,414 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering Idaho Falls as a relocation prospect but are curious about the general feel of the area. We currently live in the southeast and do not enjoy it. We have found it to be extremely conservative and non-inclusive of people with differing opinions. Where we live is also not family friendly nor does it have access do decent parks or other outdoor recreation. Before moving here we lived in Boise and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately due to job instability we made the move to the south and now would like to get back west. Idaho Falls has the potential for job opportunities so we are currently looking into it. We loved the outdoor recreation, abundant parks, population size, general friendly and laid-back attitude, microbrews, various dining opportunities, etc of Boise and are looking for a similar atmosphere elsewhere. We are fairly progressive and wonder if there is an aspect of this type of community in IF. We also have two small children and are curious about schools. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for us?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 02:44 AM

8 posts, read 17,197 times
I only visited once. I actually was working in Yellowstone and took a weekend to do a hitchhiking camping trip to jackson then Idaho falls, up to West Yellowstone and back. Dont take my word because I was only there for a few hours, but I hated it. I think I remember saying that it made me want to kill myself. It was 100 degrees, the architechure was drab, the people looks sedated. Even the Dairy Queen was poor. The falls themselves were pretty, but not even natural anymore!!

Old 10-31-2009, 06:42 AM
sav

62 posts, read 289,625 times
we are moderate in terms of thoughts and outlook, have one small child and love idaho falls. it does not shine bright on the surface but we find living here to be phenomenal and outdoor recreation abounds beyond the imagination, although you do have to drive a bit. it is not a 'hipster' city at all though and if that is important to you you might want to look elsewhere. good luck!

Old 10-31-2009, 10:03 AM

4,958 posts, read 16,995,056 times
We enjoy it here, moved here in '91 to get away from a large city. There are circumstances and venues that still hold the small town charm that we fell in love with nearly 20 years ago.

We are non LDS if that means anything to you and both husband and I are fully employed.

We like the fact there IF has an airport, yes most often you have to pick up a connecting flight in Salt Lake or Boise but it saves us the drive, also have a full services hospital with trauma center, you can find anything you truly need to buy here but if you fancy a trip to a larger city, Salt Lake is only a three hour drive. There is an abundance of fishing, hunting, camping, off road trails and plenty other outdoor recreation to be had.

We also enjoy living in an area that offers four distinct seasons, yes winter can be cold!!

Old 10-31-2009, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the replies so far. We would definitely like to be back in a four season area and the cold is not a big issue for us. I grew up in the northeast and I miss the cold and snow. My husband and I have both been to IF for work but did not get a lot of exploration time so we are familiar with the general look and climate.
One thing we really enjoyed in Boise was the greenbelt bikepath that ran for miles along the river and through town. Is there anything like that in IF? It looks like there might be but it is hard to tell what it is really like. Is IF a physically active town? Are there sidewalks and bike paths around? One of you mentioned that you have to drive a bit for recreation, could yu expand on that? We would be mostly interested in biking, hiking, skiing, paddling and climbing--not so into the motorized or hunting/fishing type of sport. How is the area for our interests?
Also, I am a stay at home Mom, not a homeschooler though. Is there much a community for my children and me if we are not LDS?
Thanks again!!

Old 10-31-2009, 06:20 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,310,606 times
Lightbulb People Find What They are Looking For.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmljw View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. We would definitely like to be back in a four season area and the cold is not a big issue for us. I grew up in the northeast and I miss the cold and snow. My husband and I have both been to IF for work but did not get a lot of exploration time so we are familiar with the general look and climate.
One thing we really enjoyed in Boise was the greenbelt bikepath that ran for miles along the river and through town. Is there anything like that in IF? It looks like there might be but it is hard to tell what it is really like. Is IF a physically active town? Are there sidewalks and bike paths around? One of you mentioned that you have to drive a bit for recreation, could yu expand on that? We would be mostly interested in biking, hiking, skiing, paddling and climbing--not so into the motorized or hunting/fishing type of sport. How is the area for our interests?
Also, I am a stay at home Mom, not a homeschooler though. Is there much a community for my children and me if we are not LDS?
Thanks again!!
Idaho Falls has a lovely greenbelt. Not sure how you missed it on your previous visit. And it is expanding again down through Ryder park, through a growing major multi-use development, Snake River Landing. Here's one link: Idaho Falls Greenbelt, a Beautiful Stroll along the Snake River There are multiple links to the Green Belt via general web searches. The local Rotary club has donated over a million dollars to expand the Idaho Falls Greenbelt. Biking, Sportsman Park and two new developments boarder the Snake River on the west.

I'll let SAV clarify the comment about driving for recreationg. Daily activites like bicycling, shorter hikes and one smaller ski area are within 20 minutes. Hiking something like the Tetons or rafting near the Sawtooths are both within two hours. Here's a cool website to watch: TetonCam

Yes, there is absolutely a community for non-LDS, both for kids and adults. Religion doesn't have to be a barrier unless you make it one. Certainly areas like Ammon have a higher concentration of LDS families. One who moved to Idaho Falls a couple of years ago - and you may be able to find her post if you look back to 2007, I think it explained it best: LDS families are busy doing things with their church and commitments.

Like any other population, you will find a range of people affiliated witht he LDS church. Very few will make an issue of you not being LDS, if you are a good neighbor, contribute to the community and don't try to change Idaho Falls to your current location. It does take YOU getting involved in acitivities for yourself and/or your children. Whatever you like to do, there are opportunities for most everything to be involved with your local community. While there may not be an NFL team, some MDs I know enjoy coaching junior hockey. Arts are plentiful and there are a lot of activitis for people of various ages. Golf is cheap and people enjoy it. Women's bowling leagues exist. There are many other activities for adults and kids.

Not sure how old your children are, so I'm not certain how to answer questions about them. Often, after-school acitivities keep kids very busy.

Perhaps one thing that is a bit different is friends come in all ages. Being involved in the community will help you connect with others faster, along with being involved with school activities. If you volunteer to help say with Thanksgiving baskets to help those less fortunate, participating in the annual events for AIDS awareness, including a black tie event, volunteer at the zoo or attend an arts activity, I think you'll connect with many others. You can be as busy and involved in the community and with others as your schedule allows.

Here are a few links if you haven't already checked them out yet about the area. You may want to email some of those listed to get more information.

Probably one of the best sources of general information overall: Idaho Falls Magazine. It is a glossy magazine (and if you're on Facebook you can sign up to follow without having a subscription), but they do maintain an active website. Look at the local community activities and connections. For some reason I think they moved the general info to the section under Marketplace.

Another popular website is: Idaho Falls Arts Council. Do take the time to look at various sub-sections from Colonial Theater to the Arts Directory to the EIRMC Summer Concerts series (concerts on the Greenbelt) and one of my personal favorites: Snake River Roaring Youth Jam.

The Museum of Idaho gets world-class exhitibs. The Museum of Idaho and the Idaho Falls Ski Club has an active membership: Idaho Falls Ski Club Home Page.

You can find out a lot more in the forum, check the top things to do in Idaho Falls at the top of this page as most are annual activities, plus general searches will yield a lot. Look for some of your favorite activities (or those of your family) then add Idaho Falls to your search. See what your search reveals.

I find many don't drive very far and think all of Idaho Falls looks like x. I'd strongly encourage you, when you can, to schedule another visit. People can live by the river or other water, near the Country Club, at the base of or potentially on Foothills, in wide open spaces, or in older sections of town for those who enjoy rebuilding or restoring their home.

I've given this a lot of thought of how to explain to those looking at the area how someone would fit in the Idaho Falls community and be happy. I think something Sage wrote on a different post sums up what creates a happy experience in Idaho Falls. Manners. If you wouldn't ask certain questions where you are now of your neighbors (such as politics, religion, why some opt to use whatever types of schools they do etc.) the same is true in Idaho. People enjoy making their own choices that work for them and their families. When relationships are built, more questions can be asked, if appropriate. Some people will volunteer tips about everything from shopping, favorite recreational areas to even gardening .

Good luck in making your decisions. Ultimately, I believe people know where home is for them. I hope something here helps.

MSR

Old 10-31-2009, 06:46 PM

MSR-
Thank you so much for your post and all of your information! It is really helpful. Your last paragraph is very telling as well. Our experience living in other parts of Idaho (Boise and Moscow) was similar in that people did have manners but were very friendly. Our experiences where we are now are so contrasting which contributes to our dislike of the area. Where we currently live, when you first meet someone you can be guarenteed to be asked what church you go to within the first five minutes of meeting. If you do not express a congregation you are immediately invited to join theirs. This may sound ridiculous or silly to mind but it can be very uncomfortable. Also, there is pretty much nowhere to volunteer or get involved in the "community" here because there is none. There are individual churches and congregations so if you don't belong to one you are pretty much out of luck. That is also how people make friends and social networks. Therefore, it has been a very lonely life here for us and our children. It is very fristrating. This has all played into my fear regarding Idaho Falls in that perhaps not being LDS would mean there is little to be involved in and make it difficult to make friends and feel part of the community. However, according to your information it seems that is not the case.
Thank you again so much for all of your thoughts!!

Old 11-01-2009, 06:51 AM
sav

62 posts, read 289,625 times
Default recreation in IF

climbing the grand
climbing weekends city of rocks
paddling the middle fork of the salmon
weekday run on the alpine stretch of the snake
overnighter on the south fork of the snake
weekend trips sun valley, ketchum
bechler, far southeast entrance to west yellowstone
trail runs galore
mtn biking teton pass, driggs, grand targhee
backcountry skiing teton pass

msr summed it up perfectly: plenty to do on a daily basis, i run in the foothills here and have yet to run into another soul. tons to do in an hour drive radius. stretch that to 2 hrs and you have a lifetime of play ahead.

you will find here though that everyone is expected to share nicely in their outdoor recreation pursuits. hunters and people who choose to recreate motorized are not frowned upon and there is not an 'us versus them' mentality...

good luck!

Old 11-11-2009, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 14,581 times
I lived in Idaho Falls for 3 years. It was quite a change, being a california native and quite liberal. We have 3 children. Our experience was great. But we like to travel home alot for visits so getting to SLC airport was a trek. About 3 hours. We have a special needs child and that is why we chose IDaho in the first place. They are phenomenal in there care of special needs chilren, if you can believe that! So because of our positive experience with that, we may not have a well rounded perspective.
But, we are not LDS and did not find it "stifling" in that sense, which is good. THere are many different religions there, with is helpful. At least 2 Catholic churches, a small Buddhist group, a small B'hai group and of course non-denominational Christian churches. A good mix.
I really liked it there. It is cheap to live. Parts are very charming (where we lived in the historic neighborhood)--has an awesome library.
It has a great indoor pool/swim team and a fabulous raquet club with 2 indoor pools and indoor tennis and outdoor everything for the summer.
Good city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls