U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 12:23 PM

6 posts, read 24,027 times

Advertisements

Last I heard the population was between 50,000 and 60,000 people.. it's growing though. LOT of people moving up from California.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 12:55 AM

39 posts, read 197,563 times
I live in Rigby. About 25 min. north of IF. We love it. My husband is a realtor if you want more info. I don't think you could go wrong moving here.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:09 AM

8,440 posts, read 12,239,624 times
Talking More Specific Details, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by robi528 View Post
I wanted to get some opinions on the Idaho Falls area of Idaho. If anyone on this thread lives there, can you give me some information on the area. Crime, weather, things to do for families with children. I have seen beautiful pictures and read many things but would like to really hear things from those who have experienced it also. I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Good information is available at: The Idaho Falls Community Discussion Site at IdahoFallz.com (http://www.idahofallz.com - broken link) an interactive web site, and Idaho Falls Magazine (Idaho Falls Magazine - The Magazine for Eastern Idaho's Way of Living). The local Chamber of Commerce, City of Idaho Falls etc. all have info.

Have you checked the Museum of Idaho's Blood and Art Display? It is the Dead Sea Scrolls. Very well received exhibit. Also, the Idaho Falls Arts council has a lot listed to do. The Zoo at Tautphaus park is award winning for a smaller zoo. There are many commercial attractions too. It just depends on what you hope to find.

I'm not quite clear, from your original post, if this is a visit for a vacation, or perhaps a visit to move. Either way, list the things you are interested in now (or your family) then ask about them in I.F.

There many interesting clubs to which belong and professionals associations as well. Chess is a club in one jr. high school and there are a lot of things for kids to do. I use the example of the Chess Club, because one parent asked what there was to do, but had her list. It was from HER I learned about the Jr. High Chess Club. I think she is now going to go to work on a Chess Club for younger kids.

Look forward to more specific info from anyone who wants it.

And, because I read this question somewhere, but can't remember which post, the most recent data on Idaho Falls is at 57,000 people with Ammon close to 20K.

Iona and Ucon are probably both 1K each.

Bonneville County is 103K residents.

However, the MSA includes part of Jefferson County and now that has to be recalculated as the #s are higher than most thought. Probably, the MSA will be around 140-150K with CSA being probably 175K+.

It is the regional hub of medical care, certain services such as a regional airport and many Big Box stores. However, what is catching the eye of most people are the new developments in the re-developed area of downtown Idaho Falls by the River.

Taylor's Crossing: Taylor Crossing on the River is a mixed use that started years ago. When they are complete, they will have a 13 story condo tower by the river and a Marriott Reisdence Inn -about 5 stories tall.

Snake River Landing, is about 400 acres that is being totally redeveloped. The first few buildings are being completed. They don't have a web site up yet that is good enough quality for many hits. But, this will truly be the new urbanism in Idaho Falls. It's mixed use and will have business, restaurants, medical, entertainment, athletic facility, housing etc. all within the development. Phase I is all that is being developed currently. And, some companies are "sub-developing" certain areas of it. A lot of pedestrian and bike paths by the infamous Greenbelt in Idaho Falls. While the Greenbelt isn't quite developed in SRL, it will be by the time Phase I is ready for living.

Idaho Business I.Q., in their March, 2007 issue, wrote a nice article about T.C. and SRL. Might want to check it out.

It boggles my brain to see the four phases of SRL.

So watch for those names along with Sunnyside Crossroads Regional Shopping Center. www.sunnysidecrossraods.com (broken link). It will have an outlet mall on the south side of southwest Sunnyside and a more traditional department, grocery or small mall on the north side of the road. Look at it and see what you think.

Of course, SRL and SCRSC will both add additional hotels and restaurants. Many names are circulating now. Hopefully, you'll find something you like.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:36 AM

42 posts, read 106,768 times
Here's my question, and maybe you can help answer it, MSR....

With all the incredible growth that IF is seeing in terms of restaurants and retail and the such, and with new people moving into the area by the thousands, where are the jobs coming from? I don't know of any new industries in the area, or any that have expanded greatly enough to justify how booming the retail industry has become. Is it a bubble just waiting to burst, or have I just not been paying attention??

Old 06-18-2007, 08:23 AM

4,918 posts, read 16,917,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post

With all the incredible growth that IF is seeing in terms of restaurants and retail and the such, and with new people moving into the area by the thousands, where are the jobs coming from? I don't know of any new industries in the area, or any that have expanded greatly enough to justify how booming the retail industry has become. Is it a bubble just waiting to burst, or have I just not been paying attention??
I know I'm not MSR but from what I can see is that some are moving here to retire and I'm going to guess others either have jobs lined up or are telecommuting.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:10 AM

Post I Believe There are Many Factors

Quote:

Fiasco,

I've given your post a tremendous amount of thought, even consulted a couple of friends with expertise to get their views as well. I understand your question and the straight up answer is this is NO Bubble, this has been waiting to happen for years; however, the deeper answer requires more questions.

When you say you don't know of any new industries in the area or any that have expanded greatly etc., I don't know from what time period your using as your baseline. Will you please clarify?

For example, Center Partners probably employees thousands in Idaho Falls. A new client was brought on last month - a fortune 500 company that may require a new building being built to accomodate the anticipated workforce. While they will started with 200 new workers, the thinking is more workers will be needed. Is that a staggering number? No. But, when it happens to 6-8 businesses (or more) each year, eventually the results start to add up to a larger work force. The Idaho Falls metro area workforce shows 2,000 more workers this year than last.

Also, Batelle, from MY PERSPECTIVE - has been honoring their contract, building CAES (which is guarantedd to bring in more jobs), doing other work in a more timely manner and in many ways, contracting with new agencies, private companies and even other countries for new work. Given some of their very sensitive work, a big issue isn't made about pairing with certain European nations and how many employees are involved. I don't work at INL, but I think there are far more employees involved either as direct employees or in contract companies. However, I don't think we hear all that is occuring at INL currently and probably on purpose, given the sensitive nature of a few of their contracts and other programs. I might be wrong, just my thinking.

Some growth may be due to the spec that INL has 2/13 bids for GNEP. But, I won't go down that land until we know if INL receives any of the 3 missions and has to secure the workforce for them.

Additionally, I got an e-mail alert sent to me today, and the following was in the middle of a large midwestern citiy's business journal (dated 6/27/07):
"Nationwide, Idaho Falls, Idaho, recorded the lowest unemployment rate, at 1.3 percent. The highest jobless rate was in Yuma, Ariz., at 17.9 percent. Unemployment rates fell in 212 of the 369 metropolitan areas tracked by the BLS, rose in 134 areas and remained unchanged in 23. "

With articles publishing infomarion like that, plus Idaho Falls having ranked so high on various growth and reisdential indexes, I think for the first time we're seeing people move to the area without having their employment secured first. However, if they have skills such as an electrician, HVAC, plumbing, landscaping etc. - those jobs can't find enough workers in the Idaho Falls area.

One fact I think that is often overlooked is the role Idaho Falls plays in supporting the Billionaire's homes in Jackson Hole. Idaho Falls continues to serve as the hub for many of Jackson Hole's commercial needs. During the summer, a fair amount of skilled workers work in Jackson who live in Idaho Falls.

There also could be some who are taking the Forman/Supervisor-type jobs for companies like Bateman -Hall, who has contracts to build the majority of Lowe's from Mt - AZ, along with other big box commercial contracts. How many of those higher ranking supervisors are from Idaho Falls ard currently working at different locations, I don't know. Bateman-Hall also dominates much of the really larger developments in Idaho Falls. I sure think another major contractor could be plenty busy, seeing that B-H builds everything from roads, to schools, to Lowe's, Kohls' etc. Nothing is wrong with that, I'm simply making the point their company is so diverse given the needs.

But, mostly, I think it's been steady, somewhat silent growth in most markets. As Cleosmom mentioned, people who are retiring are selling their more expensive properties in other states (including northern ones too - such as MT) and moving to Idaho Falls. And telecommuting, freelance writers, photographers etc. now can live wherever they want and still work.

Additionally, I think no one really has touched on the impact BYU-Idaho has had on Idaho Falls. A fair percentage of the newer faculty and staff have chosen not to live in Rexburg, rather in Rigby, Idaho Falls or Bonneville County. It's only 24 miles and many people drive far longer than that most days to their jobs in other states.

Plus, homegrown businesses, such as Miskin Scrapers who had their big fire and had to stop production in their south Idaho Falls location and move it all to their Ucon location this spring, gave numbers about their mid-sized company and their payroll I never would have guessed. Prior to their fire, had someone asked me about Miskin, I would have guessed 2-3 dozen employees. Try 150-200. Very similar with local cabinet makers who support the enormous building growth and other businesses involved with construction, real estate etc.

So like the rest of the U.S., and as the saying goes, it's the small and medium businesses that are the backbone in the country. Indeed, I think that is similar for Idaho Falls as certain favorable economic opportunities have allowed them to expand and employee hundreds now, not dozens like many businesses did 10 years ago. Nothing necessarily jumps out at you, but all the companies have more employees than 5-10 years ago.

Miskin Scraper Works, just like Wheeler Electric, a few HACV companies and Landscape Companies simply cannot find enough workers for the demand they have for their goods and services.

This is sustainable growth, probably the most secure ever in Idaho Falls, as Grow Idaho Falls was formed to create a balanced economy in Idaho Falls recruiting new businesses that didn't rely upon INL. Center Partners is a prime example of that.

This is NOT a BUBBLE!

Plus, I know of a family that relocated to Idaho Falls right before Christmas. The father works for Miscrosoft in Redmond, WA. Yes, I said WORKS - that wasn't a typo. Given his newest assignment, his team was dispatched to live in many different states and continue their work on a specific Microsoft product from their new locations. I have some strong hunches what that will turn out to be, but time will tell us for sure. So we are seeing some new jobs, unlike anything we've seen before.

As for the population growth, I've seen the latest estimates of the immigration to Bonneville County for 6 of the last 6.5 years.

From 2000-2005, the highest number of new residents came from these five counties:

Bingham, ID 3,025
Jefferson, ID 2,835
Bannock, ID 1,754
Madison, ID 1,158
Ada, ID 939
Salt Lake, UT 888
Utah, UT 752

This information is found on Moving from county to county

It's important to remember that data is old and for the past 18+ months doesn't tell us who is moving in with all the national requests to learn more about the area. Sure, further down the list Maricopa County accounts for about 500 people and San Diego and L.A. Counties each about 250. But, I'm not convinced a lot of the growth we've seen in 2006 and early 2007 is primarily from neighboring counties, Boise, Salt Lake City and Utah County as was the case between 2000-2005.

Oh, on the subject of Bannock County, I did have a typo in one post. The estimated population is 85K for the county currently, not 89K as I wrote earlier.

Do these patterns of who is moving suggest workers are moving closer to their work? Maybe. Does it suggest that perhaps a certain percentage of workers either entered the workforce and left their somewhat close, previous homes and moved? Maybe. The possibilities are many and I don't know the firm answer or answers. I'm not sure anyone does, but you might want to contact Grow Idaho Falls, or the City Chamber of Commerce or the Convention Bureau web pages for more detailed information, let alone the census and employment reports for the state of ID, for more information than I know.

Or does it suggest that Idaho Falls is well positioned and perhaps someone in a family attends BYU-Idaho and can secure a higher paying job in Idaho Falls, while another family member either works at INL on the desert or perhaps goes to ISU in I.F. and/or Pocatello while securing employment in Idaho Falls? I repeatedly hear there are more jobs for students at higher wages in Idaho Falls than either Rexburg or Pocatello. All are real situations that I personally know of individuals or families moving to Idaho Falls for a more central location.

Well, I hope this information helps your understanding. It will be of great help to me to know from what timeframe you are measuring growth in jobs or industries in the Metro Bonneville County area.

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 06-28-2007 at 03:36 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-06-2007, 08:29 AM

Thumbs up More National Headlines about Idaho Falls, which is probably adding to the city's growth.

Quote:

Fiasco -

I had to wait until I was a little less busy to remember where I saw this page. Maybe this one page summary will be useful to you and others who wonder what is going on in Idaho Falls to be growing to rapidly (about 4% currently). This information comes from the Grow Idaho Falls web site.

"IDAHO FALLS RECOGNITION

2004 - 2007

3/26/2004 : USA Today – “10 great places to be lured into fly fishing” – features Henry’s Fork.

3/30/2004 : USA Today, 'Emerging’ Cities articles ranking Idaho Falls as # 10 in their listing of best places to live.

2005 : Milken Institute ranks Idaho Falls # 11 for its ability to create and sustain jobs under their list of 2005 Best Performing cities.

2005 : Milken Institute ranks the State of Idaho as 5th lowest for cost of doing business.

12/23/2005 : The U.S. Census indicates that Idaho is the 3rd fastest growing state.

2006 : Idaho Falls is recognized in Expansion Management Magazine listing of 5 Star metro’s for quality of life.

March/April 2006 : Expansion Management Magazine ranks Idaho Falls # 8 out of 170 Metro areas for Scientists/Engineers.

5/2006 : Inc. Magazine – “Boom Towns”, based on employment growth, ranked Idaho Falls #10 for all metro areas in the U.S. and # 8 in the small city category.

8/1/2006 : Forbes Magazine references Idaho Falls for, “Where the Best Paying High Tech Jobs Are”.

12/5/2006 : Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed ranks Idaho Falls 10th in their list of "Most Secure U.S. Cities".

1/4/2007 : CareerBuilders.com lists Idaho Falls as # 6 in a list of “15 Great Cities for Job Seekers”.

1/26/2007 : Bonneville County ranked among the 100 Best Communities for Young People by America's Promise Alliance, a national group that strives to improve the lives of youngsters.

2/10/2007 : Idaho Falls was ranked the top small city MSA’s (metropolitan statistical areas) for bioscience jobs per Battelle’s survey of 360 metropolitan areas.

3/12/2007 : Sperling’s Best Places, lists Idaho Falls # 2 in a list of best affordable places to live and work. "

Hopefully, this info feels in some blanks I didn't know or forgot, along with Cleosmom's very good point about now Idaho Falls is a destination for retirees. That didn't happen previously.

Let us know what you think of these stats.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 05:52 AM..

Old 07-19-2007, 04:02 PM

6 posts, read 25,668 times
This past Thanksgiving holiday spent two weeks in Idaho Falls. I am from Washington State could not get over how extremely cold it is there.

I have been in cold weather before, but this felt like a whole different level of frigid! Maybe its because I am an old guy in my fifties, who knows.

My sister tells me to move over here, but after that experience I have some reservations.

The people in Idaho Falls seem very friendly and helpful. People actually wave at you, which was great.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:06 PM

121 posts, read 703,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by invitroguy View Post
This past Thanksgiving holiday spent two weeks in Idaho Falls. I am from Washington State could not get over how extremely cold it is there.

I have been in cold weather before, but this felt like a whole different level of frigid! Maybe its because I am an old guy in my fifties, who knows.

My sister tells me to move over here, but after that experience I have some reservations.

The people in Idaho Falls seem very friendly and helpful. People actually wave at you, which was great.
This part of the state experiences some of the more extreme temperature ranges in the country. The record low is minus 38 degrees and it's not unusual to see several 100 plus degree days in the summer. It takes some getting used to, especially if you're moving from a coastal area. We just got back from a long vacation in Seattle and I had forgotten how tame the weather is there. "Hot" means anything over 75 and "cold" means under 60! I think most long time residents there would go into shock if they moved to eastern Idaho.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:49 PM

Question Is it Human Nature to Point Out the Strange/Bad Weather, instead of Recalling the Norms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by invitroguy View Post

Invitroguy,

It certainly was abnormally cold last Thanksgiving, wasn't it? I remember so many Thanksgivings that perhaps a sweater was needed, but not in 2006.
It's hard to know if this is the change of weather from here on at Thanksgiving, or if that was a one year major change from the norm.

I'm not suggesting people can have picnics outside on Thanksgiving Day (in summer attire) and be comfortable. But, usually there is no snow, it's above freezing and usually quite pleasant. There have been some years of blizzards and one year a vest was too much for me.

I have a question for invitroguy, and anyone else who might want to answer. I was just thinking about all of the fires we've seen in the west, our southern neighboring state, UT, has experienced their largest fire (in acres burned) ever. It's possibly that both UT and at ID are both going to break all sorts of records for how many fires (and acres burned) this year. Other western states may as well.

I wanted to ask the question today, as I turned on the news to see a new small fire, and I wondered in the winter, this year, will we think it is too cold, too wet, too dry or can weather ever be perfect? I don't know. What do you think?

Looking forward to your thoughts about how YOU think we'll respond about these abnormal amount of fires in 6-12 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls