U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 04:41 PM

121 posts, read 703,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Invitroguy,

I wanted to ask the question today, as I turned on the news to see a new small fire, and I wondered in the winter, this year, will we think it is too cold, too wet, too dry or can weather ever be perfect? I don't know. What do you think?

Looking forward to your thoughts about how YOU think we'll respond about these abnormal amount of fires in 6-12 months.
I love weather extremes (except wind) so it's rarely too hot or cold for me. Or too snowy or too dry. I love winter when it's minus 10 with two feet of snow on the ground and I love 105 degree heat in the summer! I also don't mind the high humidity when I go back east. I figure you can't change the weather so just embrace it and enjoy it!
My least favorite time of year is early spring when it's too cool to do summer activities but too warm for snow.

We've had bad fire years before. This was to be expected due to the high amount of moisture we've had since the last drought ended. This is the first light precipitation year we've had in three or four years. All that lush growth is now dry tinder waiting for a spark.

Now I'm heading out to the front porch, sip on some iced tea and enjoy the HEAT!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 04:47 PM

33 posts, read 173,698 times
I have never been to SE idaho. I wanna at least drive thru if not visit Idaho Falls someday.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:29 AM

8,440 posts, read 12,255,303 times
Smile Similarities between I.F. and CDA, More Fires This Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeDelSol View Post
I love weather extremes (except wind) so it's rarely too hot or cold for me. Or too snowy or too dry. I love winter when it's minus 10 with two feet of snow on the ground and I love 105 degree heat in the summer! I also don't mind the high humidity when I go back east. I figure you can't change the weather so just embrace it and enjoy it!
My least favorite time of year is early spring when it's too cool to do summer activities but too warm for snow.

We've had bad fire years before. This was to be expected due to the high amount of moisture we've had since the last drought ended. This is the first light precipitation year we've had in three or four years. All that lush growth is now dry tinder waiting for a spark.

Now I'm heading out to the front porch, sip on some iced tea and enjoy the HEAT!
C_ferreira

You would probably feel quite at home driving through, or even stopping in Idaho Falls. Many who have lived in the Panhandle, CDA specifically, and Idaho Falls say the two have a similar feel.

With the booming construction around Lake CDA, which I guess is good, you'll pick up the same feel in Idaho Falls.

On another thread, some of us are trying to keep people aware of some of the daily fun things to do in Idaho Falls. That way if you are wondering what you can do while in town, check the thread.

Maybe, CafeDelSol, will even contribute some activities that he knows are occuring in or around I.F.

Seriously, you are absolutely correct about the fires and the weather trend the last 5 years. Honestly, I don't remember the fires being this severe, so many of them and so close to the cities (did you see the news last night about the car dealerwhip?).

So maybe it is that some of the bigger fires we're seeing are so much closer to the city limits, that it seems like many more fires than previously.

I'll probably regret asking this, but what do you (and anyway else) predict for winter this year? Will there be a lot of snow so those who snow ski will be happy, happy, happy and sneaking away to ski as often as possible? Or other?
CafeDelSol, I'm glad I've met you through here. I think you are the first person I've met, who "loves temperature extremes." Good for you, I think.

I'd ask if you have any special beverages that keep you either a bit warmer when it is the coldest time of the year, or cooler when it is the hottest, but maybe THAT information should go on what's happening around Idaho Falls (Ten top activities).

Old 07-24-2007, 06:41 AM

4,929 posts, read 16,936,647 times
I'm not so much for temperature extremes, at least not when ti comes to summer. If it's over 80, it's too hot for me

Winter, that's another story! I love the snow, my mantra is 6 ft.of snow and 6 below (zero) and I'm a happy camper.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:33 PM

19 posts, read 88,970 times
I noticed that development! What is driving all the infrastructure and development? I mean, what company is bringing the people in, or are they moving out of I.F. proper to the 'burbs? Where is the money influx to drive all this infrastructure growth?

I've just been pondering those light points....

Old 07-26-2007, 06:52 PM

19 posts, read 88,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwallace View Post
I noticed that development! What is driving all the infrastructure and development? I mean, what company is bringing the people in, or are they moving out of I.F. proper to the 'burbs? Where is the money influx to drive all this infrastructure growth?

I've just been pondering those light points....
Nevermind, I posted before I read the 2nd and 3rd pages of very great information, especially MSR's. Thanks!

Old 07-26-2007, 09:26 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,716,753 times
Oh, but it's such a good question! One issue that doesn't seem to be brought up very often...one of the things that is driving development in Idaho Falls is similar to Salt Lake City. People here like to have babies. Simple as that. Look at the stats. It's all right there, plain and simple.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:10 PM

Talking A Little Flawed Logic, but FUNNY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Oh, but it's such a good question! One issue that doesn't seem to be brought up very often...one of the things that is driving development in Idaho Falls is similar to Salt Lake City. People here like to have babies. Simple as that. Look at the stats. It's all right there, plain and simple.
I enjoy your comments pw72. Most are well thought out, very honest, IMO, and I enjoy your humor a lot!

I don't want to get banned from here from writing something not appropriate, so let me just PROMISE YOU , pw72 a PM, which I'm sure will have an equally entertaining answer.

But pw72, babies are also born in Pocatello. After all, it is a COLLEGE town and with lower incomes...........I'm sure you know more cliches than I about what limited activities there are for young, struggling college kids students. etc.

I really don't want to get banned from the site, so I'd better stop.

The only thing that doesn't quite fit with the baby idea and all the redevelopment in Idaho Falls, is I haven't met an infant or toddler yet, who is holding down that solid 40 hrs./week job, or shopping.

Thanks for the laugh pw72, you made MY Friday much better.

CWallace,

It's Idaho Falls making so many top 10 lists, INL recruiting nationally and partnering with other countries on some projects, plus some very dedicated natives who believed in what Idaho Falls had to offer and are putting their money behind what they wrote.

Idaho Falls use to be only agricultural, then ag + INL. Enter Grow Idaho Falls. Use a good general search engine and pull up Grow Idaho Falls website. You may be surprised how many Ph.D's etc. are in the area. If you can't find it, either PM, or you can follow my previous posts by my username, as I know I've posted it somewhere else.

Plus Idaho Falls is the regional hub of shopping, medical and other specialty businesses for 350,000 people. You have to remember, someone has to supply the pianos and marble floors, landscaping etc. for the Billionaires in Jackson Hole.

Plus, tourism is growing, growing, growing. Idaho Falls Regional Airport has 5 airlines with direct flights, and is the second largest airport in Idaho. Nothing like DIA! But, direct flights to DIA and back. That why over 500 new hotel rooms will be built in the next 2- 3 years, at a minimuim.

MSR

P.S.

I'm really wondering if some sort of a references/ "resources" type of page where we can refer people to look website where they can learn more would be useful. Those that have additional URLs etc. What do you all think?

Old 07-29-2007, 12:28 PM

Question I'm Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
pw72 -

This is a serious question (my jokes will get sent to you via PM). When you say "stats," which ones are you referencing? Is there a birth rate stat you have you could post, or are you referencing Idaho Falls/Bonneville County continual growth start to be much larger than Pocatello/Bannock County's? Or how did you arrive at that answer?

I just want to review the references, because I'm not quite sure what you are referencing. Some development is starting to occur in Pocatello and when the state is "kind enough" to grant ISU money, like the new performing arts building which looks lovely from outside, ISU - at times grows (secondary to BSU mostly). College towns should drive birth record stats.

Are you suggesting that those who are born in Pocatello aren't staying and moving elsewhere in Idaho - like happened big time a few years ago- or are you suggesting something else?

One of the larger companies Pocatello "developed" into more jobs and more growth is owned by two Idaho Falls men. Instead of putting it in Idaho Falls, they saw the lag in Pocatello and took their somewhat small company at the time to Poky so some of those who graduated from ISU in engineering etc. could work locally, if they wanted to do so.

My other question is about the airport. How do babies born in Idaho Falls connect with the struggling Pocatello airport? I know you've not lived in the area too long, but Pocatello less than 5 years ago had the same amount of airlines as Idaho Falls.

Now, Poky has SkyWest as a Delta Connection - flying between PIH and SLC only. I've read some business reports that question if that will stay in place. Meanwhile, Idaho Falls has attracted and kept 3 more different carriers and added much larger planes for the Horizon flights.

Logic would suggest some from Pocatello are flying out of Idaho Falls instead of driving to Salt Lake or Boise, and then catching a flight.

Maybe your comment was just a joke and missed that fact, and if it was, as I've said, you'll find YOU have mail in your PM box too. But, when you referenced the stats, that is where I started to wonder to which stat/stats are you referring?

Old 07-29-2007, 05:13 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,716,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
I enjoy your comments pw72. Most are well thought out, very honest, IMO, and I enjoy your humor a lot!

I don't want to get banned from here from writing something not appropriate, so let me just PROMISE YOU , pw72 a PM, which I'm sure will have an equally entertaining answer.

But pw72, babies are also born in Pocatello. After all, it is a COLLEGE town and with lower incomes...........I'm sure you know more cliches than I about what limited activities there are for young, struggling college kids students. etc.

I really don't want to get banned from the site, so I'd better stop.

The only thing that doesn't quite fit with the baby idea and all the redevelopment in Idaho Falls, is I haven't met an infant or toddler yet, who is holding down that solid 40 hrs./week job, or shopping.

Thanks for the laugh pw72, you made MY Friday much better.

'm really wondering if some sort of a references/ "resources" type of page where we can refer people to look website where they can learn more would be useful. Those that have additional URLs etc. What do you all think?
Hi MSR,

Thanks for your compliments. When I write I like to try and combine humor with legitimate points, although sometime miss on both accounts!

First, to my comment of "people here like to have babies"....you wanted the source. Here we go.

According to the NCHS, (National Center for Health Statistics), the top four states with the highest birthrates are:

1. Utah
2. Texas
3. Arizona
4. Idaho (almost tied with Arizona)

These are from 2004, but I seriously doubt the "frequency" of new babies has changed much since then.

Now, here is where my supposed "logic" comes in. Since Utah is way out in front of everyone else, (not even close), and Eastern Idaho relates in many ways to Utah, I end up with the conclusion that people like to have babies in Eastern Idaho!

As for how that helps the infrastructure, economics, etc. Well, it builds the population quicker, causing more need for housing, retail, schools, roads, the list goes on and on.

So let the baby-making continue and perhaps we all will be a little better off, economically, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls