Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 03:10 PM

599 posts, read 5,730,615 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I was supposed to be visiting Idaho Falls this week for a combined work meeting and house hunting trip, but due to the Icelandic volcano, I had to postpone my trip one week. Depending on the volcano and the ash clouds' behavior, I'll either be stuck in Sweden or actually make it to Idaho Falls this Saturday. I hope for the latter, of course.

Since I was supposed to be in Idaho Falls as partial for work I had all these afternoon and evening activities planned with my American colleagues. They will all gone back to their home towns by the time I get to Idaho Falls, so I have ended up with 5 whole days (not counting the days I travel) to spend on my own in Idaho Falls.

I would love some advise or suggestions of things to do or see to get to know the town and its surroundings. I will have a rental car so I'll be quite mobile. I do know that I will spend at least some days fighting the 8 hours time difference between Sweden and Idaho, so I should probably not be driving too many hours in a row. I'm more interested in getting to know Idaho Falls than the remote areas anyway.

The only things I have planned for the week are an one-day meeting with my soon-to-be employer and one or two meetings with real estate agents.

In other words, I'll have quite some time to go exploring and no clue what to do with all this time.

Please help me find a way to make good use if my week in Idaho Falls - a preferably have some fun while I'm at it.

Thank you.

/joox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 09:30 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Sorry your trip got sidetracked by the volcano! At least you weren't stuck in some airport. Can't help you with IF ideas--I just wanted to wish you bon voyage! Keep us posted.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:19 AM
sav

62 posts, read 303,193 times
nice driving loop, idaho falls through swan valley over to victor, then driggs. then you can have lunch in driggs, miso hungry on the main street is quite good, then drive back through rexburg then down 20 to IF. it will give you an excellent intro to the vast wilderness that surrounds IF and some of the outdoor recreational opportunities, if you are into that sort of thing.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:58 AM

445 posts, read 1,328,631 times
Hello joox,

You have probably seen the "Sticky" at the top of the Idaho Forum concerning: Idaho Falls - the top 10 things to do. There turns out to be way more than 10! The ideas in those threads should keep you busy enjoying and learning about Idaho Falls during your visit. Have a wonderful trip and enjoy all of the things Idaho Falls (and the surrounding area) has to offer.

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 04-24-2010, 06:07 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Glad to know you're finally going to make it to Idaho Falls Yes, do take a look at the "sticky" at the top of the posts and should give you plenty of ideas. If you want to look at some of the stables that do English discipline let me know and I'll point you in their direction.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:45 PM

599 posts, read 5,730,615 times
Thank you for all the replies. I will have a look at the post regarding the top things to do.
I just arrived to Idaho Falls - no volcano ash kept me from flying this time. Before I think of what things I want to explore this week I need to sleep and hopefully fight most of the jetlag tonight.

/joox

Old 04-25-2010, 03:01 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
If you want to stay mostly in Idaho Falls, you could start by stopping by a coffee shop or bakery and hang out a bit and have a casual way to people-watch and get a pulse of the city and maybe ask for suggestions.

Some antique stores are around if that interests.

If you like meat, Bubba's BBQ was good when I passed thru there years ago. Marcellar's is one place you can get a beer or wine if you want. I hear Dixie's Diner has a 50's theme and that could be a fun option for a meal.

If you get out for drives this time or later Craters of the Moon to the west is unique. The St. Anthony Sand Dunes to the north also surprise a lot of people. Also to the northeast, Mesa Falls is real pretty, especially when it is warmer.

There is surely some birdwatching places around if you like that and you could probably find some information on the internet.

Pocatello to the south might interest if you want to find a cross-country ski area or visit a cowboy bar or check out what there might be to do around the university.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:21 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Lava Hot Springs way to the south might be further than you want to drive this time but it is a pretty big commercial place. Maybe somebody knows smaller ones, possibly closer by or search on the internet for Idaho hot springs.

Bear Lake even further south is great in the summer. Very big and pretty water. And of course there is Sun Valley.

Good luck.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:44 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joox View Post
Thank you for all the replies. I will have a look at the post regarding the top things to do.
I just arrived to Idaho Falls - no volcano ash kept me from flying this time. Before I think of what things I want to explore this week I need to sleep and hopefully fight most of the jetlag tonight.

/joox
You made it! Welcome to the US! Have a great week. Take little naps, drink lots of fluids, and the jetlag should be gone in a few days.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:35 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Glad you made it Yes, do try and recover from the jetlag and welcome to Idaho Falls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls