Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 02:06 AM

4 posts, read 21,030 times

Advertisements

My husband is thinking of taking a Ped. Cardiologist position at the HCA hospital in Idaho Falls, and I am wondering a few things. Where is the best place for an active young family? (We have 5 kids under 10) Best city to live in that is still within commuting distance? How will my kids be received in school, as they are all African-American? I'm especially curious how minority teens do there, as I have a daughter preparing for Jr. High. We are a transracial family, as my husband and I are white, and want to make sure that we would be welcomed. Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 11:48 AM

49 posts, read 105,062 times
hoffs180,

Please check your Direct Messages, I sent you some information that might help you.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:03 PM

11 posts, read 65,014 times
Idaho Falls is a great place for kids. Having grown up there myself, your young ones won't have any problems coming from a different background. People there are the live-and-let-live kind of types.

There are quite a few choices of places to live, it all depends on the kind of surroundings you prefer. Up on the foothills you have more open space, nice houses, but a longer drive for amenities. There's some nice neighborhoods south of Sunnyside Road near Holmes Ave which would put you closer to the amenities of IF.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Old 12-27-2009, 07:25 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,499,994 times
We are caucasian and moved from Northern California to Shelley. I strongly recommend the k12.com home school program as an academically strong college prep program.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:32 PM

9 posts, read 43,304 times
As a child in Idaho Falls in the 80's, I remember just two African-American kids in my elementary school. So they did stand out. But certainly not in a negative way. I know a family there with three kids all of different races and they don't have any problems. Idaho Falls is becoming more and more diverse. I worked in an elementary school on the north side of town a few years ago and there was a lot of ethnic diversity just in that one school. In general, I would say the further you get from Idaho Falls, the more conservative the people are. I have family who live in Iona who would not be as accepting of a transracial family but that may not be a common feeling out there. I hope this helps.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,019 times
I am a Father of a multi-racial family living in the Idaho Falls area. This is a wonderful area to raise your children. My wife and I moved here 15 years ago and have never looked back. Properties south of sunnyside and towards the east part of town are large and often allow for horses etc. They are also a very quick drive to the hospital where your husband will be working.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:34 PM

23 posts, read 45,002 times
I know of two multiracial families in the Idaho Falls area. One of them has mentioned that they have had no issues at all with prejudice. However, their children are not of yet dating age, and they're worried about how that will play out. Having friends of other races doesn't seem to be a big issue. Dating and talking marriage, however, might be another story.

There are an awful lot of Mormons around there, and they're pretty accepting of other races in practice. They don't have any doctrinal issues with mixed marriages any more, either, but I think their official position is you have to be aware of social ramifications. I would expect possible resistance from prospective future in-laws. Worst case scenario you might have to send your kids off to college at University of Alabama or somewhere when they get older.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:33 PM

29,175 posts, read 22,161,193 times
I live a couple of blocks away from I.F. High, and see kids of all races hanging out together all the time. The black community here is still small, but is growing slowly, and a couple of African-American friends of mine here have never mentioned any racial problems. We have a pretty large Hispanic minority, a long-standing Japanese and Chinese-American minority, and some folks from the Middle East. None get hassled.
There is lots of levels in the housing here- it all depends on what lifestyle you like to lead. Nice homes are available in and outside the city limits, and a lot of country homes with acreages just outside of town.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:58 AM

4 posts, read 21,030 times
You all are wonderful! Thank you for your insight. We had the opportunity a few weeks ago to go and spend 3 days there and really go around the community and felt so welcome. We fell in love with the acreage available and the views from the foothills. If we do choose to move there, then I'd love to buy property that backs to the BLM land.

As far as dating goes, if I could choose, I'd rather my kids had a great group of friends during high school, anyway, and then leave the dating to college. Most campuses outside of Utah or Idaho will be more diverse.

I really did get the feel that you are judged by your character here and was so impressed. (And I have to admit, seeing stores and things that I've grown accustomed to was a relief). I was disheartened by the lack of family facilities. No community rec center or fun indoor pool with slides, etc. You find these all over the place in most cities, even small ones nowadays. I guess paying for a membership to the Apple gym is the only option. It just felt like with the family friendly feel and attitude of the community, I expected more gathering places, etc. Oh well, I can't have everything, right. I really did love it there and hope that my husband accepts the offer there.

Thanks, again!

Old 03-17-2010, 11:58 AM

121 posts, read 338,505 times
Hi Hoffs180,

There actually is a community pool in IF last I was there. Generally the reason why IF doesn't have the same kind of facilities as other towns is all around you. There's a great big rec center outside your front door.

Culturally you can't deny that IF is a very white town. But IMHO it's nothing a multicultural family should be worried about. People there just haven't grown up with the kind of prejudices as other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: