U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,399 times

Advertisements

Hi, I currently live in New Orleans, La. and we are looking to relocate. If we stay in the States, we are so far very interested in Idaho.

I'm taking an exploratory trip from Jan. 14-19 and will be visiting the Pocatello and Idaho Falls areas, with a couple days in Boise, as well.

My question for all you locals is: if you only had two days to spend in Idaho Falls, what areas would be essential to visit to get an accurate picture of life in this city?

Also, if you have any information on Pocatello, that would also be helpful.

We're a Catholic Family, so we are most likely interested in Catholic education for our 4 kids (age six and under). I plan to make a visit to the Catholic schools in the area. Does anyone have any experience with Holy Spirit Catholic School in Pocatello or Holy Rosary Catholic School in Idaho Falls?

And finally, how difficult is the winter driving in the area? I'm probably going to rent a compact since it's just me, but if the road conditions are bad, I'll opt for something heavier (I've driven in snow, but some cities are better than others at clearing roads).

Thanks in advance for your input.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 09:38 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,214,218 times
Make sure your rental has really good winter tires.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:44 AM

9 posts, read 42,355 times
I'm from Idaho Falls now living in Boise. I think IF (what we call Idaho Falls) is really good at clearing the roads quickly. I'd say you definitely need to check out the Greenbelt area/Lindsay Blvd. There may not be many people out if it's really cold but in warmer weather, there will be a ton of people there - feeding ducks, walking, biking, picnicking. Also go hang out by the Grand Teton Mall and Edwards Cinemas. That seems to be the entertainment hub - lots of restaurants. I also love just driving around to view the area. You could head east out 1st St into the foothills (during the day in case of car trouble) and west out Broadway to see the buttes and wide open area (beautiful sunsets out there).

I'm not a fan of Pocatello. Commuted to school there. I know a lot of people from Pocatello who go to IF for shopping and entertainment. Idaho Falls seems to be growing a lot more than Pocatello.

Boise is warmer than IF and Pocatello. It still feels too cold to me but I think it's the best place in Idaho to live. I like the resources here - organic foods, more education choices, nearly all the shopping I could want and a lot of unique culture.

I know some kids who went to Holy Rosary. I think it's a good school. I think the transition into junior high was a little tough because the other kids knew so many more kids from elementary school. Holy Rosary has small class sizes comparatively.

You should be fine in a compact car. Just allow more stopping time if it's icy. Check the weather. If it's warm for the few days around your visit, I'd stick with the compact.

Good luck!

Old 01-01-2010, 09:16 AM

2 posts, read 3,399 times
Thanks! I sure do appreciate the feedback.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:03 PM

89 posts, read 247,164 times
We moved from Slidell to Idaho following Katrina. We've lived here for around 4 years. We live in North Idaho, so I don't really know a lot about the southern parts of Idaho. We love this area. I highly recommend the Coeur d'Alene area. It is only 30 minutes to Spokane. There is a really fun theme park just north of the city called Silverwood Theme Park. We have lots of outdoor activities: biking, hiking, boating, skiing, etc. We are surrounded by mountains in every direction. It is very beautiful. I pass a Catholic School every day. It is called Holy Family Catholic School. They have a website. It is fairly reasonable ($3200). There is also a really nice nationally ranked charter school for 6th-12th grade. It is called Charter Academy. It is free and very impressive. The children WANT to be there to learn.

The summer weather is really nice. Winters are cold, but not terribly cold. There is less humidity, so it doesn't feel too cold unless it drops in the teens.

I know that isn't much help with your question, but it gives you a few more options. We are moving to Florida in a few months, and I will really miss this area. It is really nice. I wish your trip was including our area, and I would show you around. =)

Good luck! Have fun on your trip!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>