U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-08-2010, 02:48 PM
 
5 posts, read 25,390 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Hi. My husband and I are considering a move to Idaho Falls and have some questions. We haven't visited yet, but there may be a job opportunity for us there. So, here are my questions:

1. First, I apologize for this question. It may sound ignorant, because it is. I hope I don't offend anyone. Anyways, here goes: Some people I know who grew up in LDS communities (NOT in Idaho, though) have warned me that we might be shut out socially or looked down upon b/c we're not LDS. Is this the case in Idaho Falls? Do non-LDS tend to be forced to socialize together? I've lived in communities where certain religious and/or ethnic groups stuck together and tended to exclude others and didn't like it.

2. I'm Asian and my DH is white. Are interracial marriages frowned upon there? For that matter, are Asians treated differently? I ask this b/c in the rural town where I currently live, many people are pretty ignorant and stare, stare, stare at me in unkind ways when I am out and about. I hate it.

3. What's the closest city with decent shopping? I'm talking Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Saks, etc. Is it Salt Lake?

4. What are the more upscale neighborhoods ($600K+ range)?

5. I see a lot of pricier homes for sale in the area. Is there some sort of exodus out of the area, or is this normal? It seems like a lot for such a small population.

6. What's the big industry in the area?

7. Is there a Mexican population there? Just wondering b/c the demographics stats I see only show "white" but don't break that down. I'm just trying to get an idea of what the population is like. I already see that there are hardly any people of color.

8. Can you get good organic foods, apart from what Albertsons might have?

9. How difficult is the drive to Jackson Hole when it's really snowing? Do you need chains?

10. How close is great hiking?

11. Are there decent custom home builders who come high recommended, or do you have to look elswhere for one?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-09-2010, 01:00 AM
 
Location: Land of Red
4,975 posts, read 17,046,965 times
Reputation: 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by wemightmove View Post
Hi. My husband and I are considering a move to Idaho Falls and have some questions. We haven't visited yet, but there may be a job opportunity for us there. So, here are my questions:

1. First, I apologize for this question. It may sound ignorant, because it is. I hope I don't offend anyone. Anyways, here goes: Some people I know who grew up in LDS communities (NOT in Idaho, though) have warned me that we might be shut out socially or looked down upon b/c we're not LDS. Is this the case in Idaho Falls? Do non-LDS tend to be forced to socialize together? I've lived in communities where certain religious and/or ethnic groups stuck together and tended to exclude others and didn't like it.

2. I'm Asian and my DH is white. Are interracial marriages frowned upon there? For that matter, are Asians treated differently? I ask this b/c in the rural town where I currently live, many people are pretty ignorant and stare, stare, stare at me in unkind ways when I am out and about. I hate it.

3. What's the closest city with decent shopping? I'm talking Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Saks, etc. Is it Salt Lake?

4. What are the more upscale neighborhoods ($600K+ range)?

5. I see a lot of pricier homes for sale in the area. Is there some sort of exodus out of the area, or is this normal? It seems like a lot for such a small population.

6. What's the big industry in the area?

7. Is there a Mexican population there? Just wondering b/c the demographics stats I see only show "white" but don't break that down. I'm just trying to get an idea of what the population is like. I already see that there are hardly any people of color.

8. Can you get good organic foods, apart from what Albertsons might have?

9. How difficult is the drive to Jackson Hole when it's really snowing? Do you need chains?

10. How close is great hiking?

11. Are there decent custom home builders who come high recommended, or do you have to look elswhere for one?

Thanks!
1. Yes there are LDS in a good number here, I for one am not one and have lived here without issues for nearly 20 years.

2. I have a good friend living here who is Oriental and her husband is white, again no issues.

3. Nordstroms, can be found in SLC. Neiman Marcus and Saks can be found in CA or online.

4. Plenty of homes out to Comore Loma and out to the Country Club area that would/should fit the $600,000 price range.

5. Often time the reason for the pricier home is due to the lnad and water rights that come with.

6. The Site

7. Yes there are Mexicans living here. Also, blacks or however you'd prefer to to label.

8. You can hit Farmer's Market to get organic foods, limited to the "warmer" months as well as the co-op downtown. Fred Meyer's also has a good selection.

9. If wanting to go to JH in winter I'd suggest an AWD if not a FWD vehicle with snow tires.

10. You can hike anywhere around, including the Greenbelt downtown.

11. There are decent homebuilders here which I'd be happy to give you more info on a PM

You're welcome!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2010, 04:25 PM
 
8,440 posts, read 12,362,201 times
Reputation: 6280
Lightbulb A Little More Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
1. Yes there are LDS in a good number here, I for one am not one and have lived here without issues for nearly 20 years.

2. I have a good friend living here who is Oriental and her husband is white, again no issues.

3. Nordstroms, can be found in SLC. Neiman Marcus and Saks can be found in CA or online.

4. Plenty of homes out to Comore Loma and out to the Country Club area that would/should fit the $600,000 price range.

5. Often time the reason for the pricier home is due to the lnad and water rights that come with.

6. The Site

7. Yes there are Mexicans living here. Also, blacks or however you'd prefer to to label.

8. You can hit Farmer's Market to get organic foods, limited to the "warmer" months as well as the co-op downtown. Fred Meyer's also has a good selection.

9. If wanting to go to JH in winter I'd suggest an AWD if not a FWD vehicle with snow tires.

10. You can hike anywhere around, including the Greenbelt downtown.

11. There are decent homebuilders here which I'd be happy to give you more info on a PM

You're welcome!
Neiman-Marcus and Saks will be in Salt Lake City at City Center in two years, when the multi-billion dollar shopping center is totally done.

One of the first people I met here was in exactly your same situation. I do not want to identify her, for her privacy. She is Asian, her husband is not. They were not LDS. Biggest problem, per her after they moved, is some guys looked at her "kind of odd" when she went into Target one day. Later, she told me she was 8 1/2 months pregnant. Given her probable small frame, I don't find the fact someone in Idaho Falls looking at a small, very pregnant Asian woman too odd. They were probably wondering if she should be walking in the store.

Go to the main page of City-Data and click on Idaho, then click on Idaho Falls. The ratio of population is broken down. Around 10% Hispanic in Bonneville County.

I totally agree with Cleosmom, there is a mixture of people in Idaho Falls. INL is a great equalizer. Additionally, the goal is to have international students doing their Ph.D studies via a facility connected with INL. Somewhere else that doesn't have one of the nation's 15 national labs may have all sorts of different answers. That's why some things don't seem to add up compared to other places. INL employees tend to be well compensated. More and more spin offs as well as contractor who work with, or contract for, INL are also in town.

Bonneville County is estimated to be about 50:50 LDS vs. non-LDS.

Idaho Falls is the medical, commerical, travel (airport) hub for about 300K people. Besides INL, Eastern Idaho Medical Center, Melaleuca are the biggest employers, besides the agricultural base.

When can you visit?

Hope this info helps....

MSR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2010, 03:48 PM
 
18 posts, read 45,187 times
Reputation: 12
Having moved here from another State I find living among LDS very unpleasant. The ones I know critisize us for drinking alcohol, caffiene and because I am a woman working outside the home. My employer, a LDS bishop, calls me a "woman's libber". I am desperately looking to move out of this State.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2010, 03:30 AM
 
Location: Salt Lake, Utah
427 posts, read 1,229,868 times
Reputation: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena58 View Post
Having moved here from another State I find living among LDS very unpleasant. The ones I know critisize us for drinking alcohol, caffiene and because I am a woman working outside the home. My employer, a LDS bishop, calls me a "woman's libber". I am desperately looking to move out of this State.
Wow, I live in Utah with an even heavier LDS population and I've never heard of anything like that. I really don't think that is anywhere near the norm.

Also, I don't believe Saks and Marcus are confirmed yet for City Creek Center. The tenants haven't really been announced, except for Nordstrom and Macys.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:17 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top