U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 07:55 AM

20 posts, read 96,430 times

Advertisements

I just found this site while browsing for more info about Idaho Falls and read a nice post here about the area about a year ago. So I decided to join.

My name is Robert. I will be moving to Idaho Falls with my 4 children. The oldest is 11 and a half and the youngest is 6. My sister lives there and loves the area and I have been asking her questions but since she hasn't lived there long she isn't able to answer all my questions.

Is there a web site for the little leagues there in Idaho Falls?

My sister said there are rail road tracks everywhere so to be careful where I choose to live. Is there mostly single family homes or town homes in Idaho Falls? I hope to rent and later buy.

I don't know for sure when I'll be moving there as I prefer to get a job first and then move but I think I'll be moving there this summer and hope to learn enough about Idaho Falls so that I can get my children involved in activities as soon as we arrive.

Again thanks to the post by cleosmom I have learned about a lot of things to do in the area and have found the Spectrum web site. I hope my oldest is tall enough to race in the go karts as he would love that.

Can someone tell me more about the amusement park connected to the zoo?

I'll post more questions as I think of them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 08:56 AM

4,962 posts, read 17,014,368 times
As for the question regarding Little League for the kids, here's a website that might be helpful Parks & Rec - Youth Softball/Baseball (http://www.ci.idaho-falls.id.us/main/index2.asp?PageId=1246 - broken link)

There are mostly single family homes, however we're getting more and more townhouses by the day it seems. In fact there are some out east of town right across from Tiebreaker Elementary School.

The park next to the soon was rescued a few years ago as the family of the founders were no longer wanting to be involved due to logistics (they lived out of state). It's more of a playland if you will with some small scale rides for the younger children, although your oldest might still enjoy it

Another sport that is also is huge is soccer and there's a decent size complex on the west side of town. Winter is also large for ice hockey and the rink is located at the zoo/park.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:47 AM

Thanks!

That link answered another question which was if they had t-ball.

Hopefully my children will like ice hockey and/or soccor too.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:55 AM

I just found some info on the zoo and it only mentions goats in the children's area of the zoo. Are there other animals in the children's section that the children can feed and/or touch?

Old 05-31-2007, 10:42 AM

You know, that's not an easy one for me to answer as even though I know a handful of zoo docents and keepers, I've yet to go through there

However, if you check out this page Parks & Rec - Zoo Calendar there's a calendar of events as to what's happening when and I know Dr. Doolittle day is a huge thing!

Bear World Yellowstone Bear World is right up the road and is hands on certain times of the year for being able to feed the cubs Of course there's an extra cost with that.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:07 AM

Oh, feeding bear cubs would be cool. My children would never forget that.

I've looked at the Zoo Calendar, in fact all the calendars offered at the official site for Idaho Falls.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:48 PM

I spoke with one of the zoo docents today and you guessed correctly in that it's basically a goat petting zoo.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:03 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,181,387 times
Oh...Bear World is a great place...even worth the drive from North Idaho!

Old 06-01-2007, 05:04 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,332,105 times
Post Depends on Where in Town You are Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZorroRojo View Post
I just found this site while browsing for more info about Idaho Falls and read a nice post here about the area about a year ago. So I decided to join.

My name is Robert. I will be moving to Idaho Falls with my 4 children. The oldest is 11 and a half and the youngest is 6. My sister lives there and loves the area and I have been asking her questions but since she hasn't lived there long she isn't able to answer all my questions.

Is there a web site for the little leagues there in Idaho Falls?

My sister said there are rail road tracks everywhere so to be careful where I choose to live. Is there mostly single family homes or town homes in Idaho Falls? I hope to rent and later buy.

I don't know for sure when I'll be moving there as I prefer to get a job first and then move but I think I'll be moving there this summer and hope to learn enough about Idaho Falls so that I can get my children involved in activities as soon as we arrive.

Again thanks to the post by cleosmom I have learned about a lot of things to do in the area and have found the Spectrum web site. I hope my oldest is tall enough to race in the go karts as he would love that.

Can someone tell me more about the amusement park connected to the zoo?

I'll post more questions as I think of them.
I just wanted to comment both about the railroad tracks and housing opportunities above, plus I want to address several other questions I saw in other posts.

First, welcome to the area when all of you planning visits or relocation arrive. It sort of depends on where you are from what may be different for you.

Currently, the Idaho Falls City Population is around 55K. The metro popoulation is 116K (low estimate) and the retail trade area is 300,000+.

I don't know where your sister is currently living in Idaho Falls, but there is really only one major railroad track. It runs along Yellowtsone then N. Boulevard. Most areas don't have railroad tracks, except some areas of Ammon where smaller tracks exist. It's not like there are RR at every intersection in I.F.

Also, as for homes, Idaho Falls is really no different than any other city. All options are available, it depends on the income bracket and how much one wants to pay monthly.

Mixed use developments are not totally established yet, but will be. Condos - well Taylor's Crossing is building a 13 story high rise of Condos, there are also several one and two story options. Local houses for rent or sale are available - again it depends on the monthly payment how much choice one has.

There are seveal apartment choices ranging from studio apartments to 3 bedroom apts.

A couple of other brief things - I'm not sure who on this thread believes Idaho Falls is "dead" on Saturdays. It is true that Idaho Falls is less than 100 miles from the Tetons, Jackson Hole, YNP, Crates of the Moon and Sun Valley, so it doesn't take long to get to locations people throughout the U.S. HOPE to visit someday. Perhpas how busy I.F. is on Saturday's depend on what one does during the weekdays or is use to in other cities. People with kids, in particular, are very busy, if they want to be.

Besides, I must support the views of others here about 17th Street and Hitt Road. But, with the newer commercial developments of Taylor's Crossing and Snake River Landing (which won't even open until later this summer), plus the new Crossroads Regional Shopping mall, which will have construction start after the zoning changes are approved, choices for shopping, recreation and other parts of living are becoming more spread out throughout the city.

There are severel good websites describing different activities in Idaho Falls. Besides, the traditional ones you've probably seen, I'd recommend the calendar section at The Post Register at: Postregister.com - Friday, June 01, 2007 - Idaho Falls, Idaho, and the 3 area tv stations all have community event boards. The classifieds on the Post Register are also at no cost. The City Convention Bureau and Chamber of Commerce have a lot of additional information.

Another great resource to learn about Idaho Falls is at Idaho Falls Magazine. Currently publishing 6 issues/year - which is suppose to increase to 8 next year, this is about an 80 page glossy local magazine. You can contact them at; Idaho Falls Magazine - The Magazine for Eastern Idaho's Way of Living and ask for a complimentary issue. They will mail you one so you can learn more.

Someone asked about the airport. The Idaho Falls Regional Airport is the regional airport for eastern ID. The Pocatello airport has consistantly lost commerical carriers. IFRA has 5. Several direct flights to SLC are via SkyWest/Delta, currently United flies 2 daily flights to Denver (but hopes to increase that # given the utilization), Horizon flies directly to Boise. In July, Horizon will change to planes that are ~ 70 seaters. There will still be 3 flights to Boise daily: One just to Boise, One stopping in Boise, but the same plane going directly to Portland and the third also has a stop in Boise but then continues on to San Jose.

Allegiance flies 2-3 times/week directly to Las Vegas. The # of flights depend on the time of year.

Northwest Airlines, being in reorganization wasn't able to add as many flights as they had originally hoped in Idaho Falls originally. Currently, there is only 1 daily flight to Minneapolis. After their reorganization, they hope to at least another daily one, if not more (a lot may depend on how many more flights United adds).

This is an exciting time for those moving to Idaho Falls, due to the growth and perhaps a more balanced economy.

Good luck when you move. I hope everything makes it with you!

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 06-01-2007 at 05:18 PM..

Old 06-01-2007, 09:18 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,332,105 times
I forgot to add that Saturdays, in the summer, feature a Farmer's Market Downtown. There are also nearby booths from other vendors.

Idaho Falls used two major consultants about a year ago of where to focus on recreation and priorities for the increasing population (the city-data info, while great in collection is really, really outdated). Between new businesses, new area residents with new ideas and the City wanting to offer more, there are activities planned for almost every weekend on the Greenbelt and elsewhere.

I believe this weekend Idaho Falls is the host to the Mountain Brewers' Beer Festival each year (this weekend is the 13th year). It is the largest festival of its type in N. America. There are many activities added this year so the attendance is limited to only those who drink beer //www.northamericanbrewers.org/BeerFest2007.

Plus, there is the Snake River Roaring Youth Jam (www.idahofallsarts.org/youth_jam (broken link)) to highlight activities and arts for youth. There is also the annual Adopt-A-Duck charity event - can't think of the name right now.

Some may be surprised how much there is to do in I.F. and can't squeeze it all in a day. Check some local websites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls