U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 2,951 times

Advertisements

I am in Connecticut and recently unemployed, i am going to seize this opportunity to move west and start fresh.

we are in a financial situation where we could move without employment first...i find it difficult to find a good fit via long distance.

I have a varied background in highway maintenance/equipment operation, carpentry and building maintenance as well as specialized security work. My Fiance has a background in newstalk radio as an APD and on air personality.

We would appreciate any advice on relocating, job search and apartments. Good areas to live in and around Idaho Falls, weather etc.

We are in need of living around people who are kind and happy, unlike here where everyone seems more rude than yesterday. My Fiance is from the midwest and is shocked at the way people treat eavh other.

Looking forward to your reply's and thank you in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,902 times
I moved to Idaho from Connecticut 2 years ago and love it. I have to agree with the rudeness comment and you will find it's a bit of a culture shock to be surrounded by friendly people that actually say hello and smile. I live outside of the Pocatello area and jobs are a bit scarce but not as bad as CT. Of course every town has its good and bad areas but Ammon and Idaho Falls are pretty nice to live in and have a good shopping/dining area. The weather is somewhat comparable to CT but not as much rain here as there. Good luck with your move.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:53 AM

121 posts, read 330,103 times
Hi,

Idaho Falls is a friendly place in general, much more so than the NE. However, you should be aware that neighborhoods in IF with apartments are generally not good by definition. Most people live in detached houses, and you'll find these areas to be a bit more congenial.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:48 PM

28,266 posts, read 20,095,079 times
The job situation in I.F. isn't all that good now, but it's slightly better than in some other states.

I think you will like Idaho Falls, but you will have to be patient at first- people here speak much more slowly than in the east. You may have to keep your self from talking over someone else- it's common in most of the country now, but here, we still allow folks to complete their sentences most of the time, and get irked when someone over-talks them.

The traffic backs up in some critical intersections, and that will take patience at first, too. Folks here don't honk their car horns much, and they take their time turning left. Turn signals are optional for some folks, but don't get upset.

And if some livestock escapes and wanders down a thoroughfare, you are expected to slow down and move over, so you don't push them. No honking, no yelling. (unless you don't WANT them to get out of the way.)

You aren't supposed to get upset if a pickup with a dog in back pulls up next to you and the dog barks. Every other vehicle you'll see will have a dog in it, and over half of the vehicles will be pickups. Don't believe that the driver is a cowboy because of the hat- we mostly own one or two cowboy hats here.

And never look down your nose at someone you see in a bank wearing greasy coveralls or jeans with manure on them. As often as not, those guys are cutting million dollar deals.

Don't talk religion or politics until you know the person. Don't ask for a real fancy wine list. Don't expect folks will be impressed if you wear a fur coat or an expensive suit. Expect a neighbor to come help dig you out of the snowbank, and be prepared to help him when he gets stuck. If you treat someone with the respect you would like to have, you'll get it back in full measure. Don't insult someone casually, and no one will do it, except with old friends.

If the kids next door drift over on your front lawn while playing, let them. We have lots of kids here.

Do this stuff a while, and you'll never move again. All the rest of your questions will work out when you get here, but making a trip out first is a good idea.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:11 PM

121 posts, read 330,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The job situation in I.F. isn't all that good now, but it's slightly better than in some other states.

I think you will like Idaho Falls, but you will have to be patient at first- people here speak much more slowly than in the east. You may have to keep your self from talking over someone else- it's common in most of the country now, but here, we still allow folks to complete their sentences most of the time, and get irked when someone over-talks them.

The traffic backs up in some critical intersections, and that will take patience at first, too. Folks here don't honk their car horns much, and they take their time turning left. Turn signals are optional for some folks, but don't get upset.

And if some livestock escapes and wanders down a thoroughfare, you are expected to slow down and move over, so you don't push them. No honking, no yelling. (unless you don't WANT them to get out of the way.)

You aren't supposed to get upset if a pickup with a dog in back pulls up next to you and the dog barks. Every other vehicle you'll see will have a dog in it, and over half of the vehicles will be pickups. Don't believe that the driver is a cowboy because of the hat- we mostly own one or two cowboy hats here.

And never look down your nose at someone you see in a bank wearing greasy coveralls or jeans with manure on them. As often as not, those guys are cutting million dollar deals.

Don't talk religion or politics until you know the person. Don't ask for a real fancy wine list. Don't expect folks will be impressed if you wear a fur coat or an expensive suit. Expect a neighbor to come help dig you out of the snowbank, and be prepared to help him when he gets stuck. If you treat someone with the respect you would like to have, you'll get it back in full measure. Don't insult someone casually, and no one will do it, except with old friends.

If the kids next door drift over on your front lawn while playing, let them. We have lots of kids here.

Do this stuff a while, and you'll never move again. All the rest of your questions will work out when you get here, but making a trip out first is a good idea.
I don't know why Idahoans get the impression that Easterners moving to Idaho will instantly look down their nose at people or order from fancy wine lists. There are normal folks from the East too.

That said, IF is not full of dumb hicks. You'll find no shortage of very educated, very talented people who call it home. And as for the hicks, well, in Idaho they ain't so dumb.

Good luck with your move. Go with an open mind, a friendly disposition and a willingness to get outside and you'll do fine.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:08 PM

5 posts, read 13,945 times
Idaho Falls has a larger concentration of PH.Ds than any other city in the nation. A lot of good things are happening in the Idaho Falls/Ammon area. Cost of living is pretty low and you can get a nice 4 bedroom house around here right now for less than $170,000. Jobs aren't that scarce. Idaho Falls is about 7% unemployed. Some of the top rated radio stations in the state are here. And as for the building industry, a large all-inclusive community in Ammon just sold 7 homes in the last couple months. That's 6 more than it sold last year and it's only March. The market will rebound. Ammon is working on getting a fiber-optic network installed, alternative energy to cover city costs, and expanding their tax base. Idaho Falls also has more restaurants per capita than any other city, The Cellar is a very classy restaurant specializing in large selections of wine and fine cuisine. And the recreation in the area is better than anything you could imagine. 1.5 hours from the best skiing in the world, hikes and biking trails, Yellowstone National Park, ghost towns, gold mines, some of the best fishing around etc etc etc. Idaho schools are taking a hit right now with budget cuts, but they are still pretty good. The nice thing is you don't have to worry so much about guns, drugs, and other "fine" things that kids find at their schools these days. I'm not saying they don't exist, but it just isn't as big of a worry. And yes, people are extremely friendly. Don't get scared by all of the mormons...although more than half of the population is of the LDS faith, they are very friendly and would do almost anything for you. There will probably be a lot of things that you will miss, but the bottom line is there isn't a finer place to raise a family or finish out your days. The one bad thing about the area? Plan on cold and snow from October-April. Although this year has been mild compared to the east coast. There, I'm done now Hope to see you in town! Good luck. sorvetter at gmail.com if you want anyone to help you with any questions. Glad to help.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:38 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,266,358 times
Job Details - Fisher Communications, Inc (http://www.fsci.com/jobdetails.asp?JobID=503 - broken link)

from indeed dot com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls