U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2010, 10:31 PM

287 posts, read 719,316 times

Advertisements

We came out to Idaho Falls to see the area and look at houses. We like the idea of a bigger piece of property (zoned right of course) so that we have the option of getting some animals. Rigby has many parcels of land and even some in nice looking subdivisions where horses are acceptable.

But as we have discussed our ideas with locals (some of my husbands work collegues- he's already working part time out there, people we know who grew up in the Idaho Falls area, etc) they all seem to bad mouth Rigby. We've heard almost nothing but negative things- lots of teen pregnancies, very cliquish, etc..

So anyone out there who can give me the straight story? Has Rigby really earned it's bad reputation? Should we stay closer to Idaho Falls or Ammon?

And how about Iona, Shelley, Ririe, Ucon and Firth?

We have four girls from 6-15 and just want a good, clean, fun area to live in with other families with kids in similar age groups. We're not hard core outdoorsy but do like to ski, hike, swim, bike, garden. We're not into ATV's, snowmobiles, hunting or fishing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 09:23 AM

4,966 posts, read 17,019,504 times
I'm not exactly certain what "they" say about Rigby. I know folks who were born and raised and quite successful in life.

Being a small community I'm certain it and any other small community can tend to be cliquish. I get my hair done in Rigby and it's not hard to catch up on thing at the salon there.

Teen pregnancies? Well that can happen in a small town or a large city, it's not discriminate to population.

I do know that most folks in Jefferson County have built a reputation for their driving skills and most of my friends purchase the wildlife plates so the 1J is not broadcast

Old 04-11-2010, 03:25 PM

287 posts, read 719,316 times
Ya! Heard more than once about that, too. And that it's possible to get a license there without taking any tests at all. Just walk up to the window and buy one. Oops, maybe I shouldn't broadcast that one. Is that an urban legend?

Old 04-11-2010, 03:37 PM

121 posts, read 325,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlymac View Post
So anyone out there who can give me the straight story? Has Rigby really earned it's bad reputation? Should we stay closer to Idaho Falls or Ammon?

And how about Iona, Shelley, Ririe, Ucon and Firth?
Some of what you're hearing about Rigby may be historical bias. When I grew up in Idaho Falls, Rigby had a reputation of being somewhat of a mix of Rexburg-style straightlaced Mormon and down-from-the-foothills hicks.

To be honest, Iona, Shelley, Ririe, Ucon and Firth all fit that description too.

But times have changed. A lot of new blood has moved into Rigby. In your situation I'd actually ask some newcomers who have been settled in a few years and hear what they think. They might give you a more accurate picture than the "1-J" bias of longtime locals.

Good luck, wherever you choose to settle.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:22 PM

27,272 posts, read 18,618,574 times
Enoch got it right, but each of those villages you mentioned has it's own character.

Iona is the oldest of the bunch, and I think Ucon is the youngest.
Iona's city lots were originally planned larger than the others, and livestock can still be kept within the city limits, as per the original plan. Many of the large lots have been subdivided over the years to half their original size, but there are still quite a few of the big ones left.

Ririe was a dry farm railhead for years- it's located in a perfect spot for grain elevators, and dry farmers are a different bunch from the irrigators. Ririe once had a pretty good downtown for it's size- it had 3-4 cafés, a movie theater, a drugstore, implement dealerships, hardware stores, a couple of groceries, and a lumber yard, but all pretty much gone now.

Rigby, I think, is growing faster than the others, and of them all, has the largest downtown area.

All are still little farm communities.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:31 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,775,661 times
Yeah, that is exactly it. Rigby was once a small farming community, but slowly is being encompassed by the Idaho Falls metro area. If growth resumes after the recession I would see a day not too far off where the two cities basically blend together, much like I.F. and Ammon have. Sometimes these type of changes are a bit unsettling, however inevitable they may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls