Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 12:32 AM

5 posts, read 10,271 times

Advertisements

Stationed at Mt Home AFB in late 60s. Currently live in the Fairbanks, Alaska area. Pretty much decided to retire in Idaho.

Need low/reasonable cost of living area. Wife still needs to work to build up her retirement funds. Don't care too much for wind or extreme high/low temps. We are living in an area where minus 40 is not uncommon so I consider that a low extreme (anything below zero for an extended period). Lived in Mojave Desert for number of years where 90 and above for extended periods of time was common...high extreme. But we will investigate all suggested areas.

We are both conservative and gun enthusiasts (NRA Life members) and love the outdoors.

If the Idaho folk in the forum have suggestions please share...we will be visiting the state quite a bit in the next couple of years.

Thanks for your time!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 08:50 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,681,313 times
Most of Southern Idaho will have copious amounts of wind, and somewhat extreme temperatures (though probably nothing like Alaska). I'd say expect winter to be windy and sporatic weather, mostly in the 20's and 30's, though it will drop to 10 for a week or two. Summers will be in the mid 90's with a few weeks in the triple digits.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:58 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,769,080 times
Do you have a preference of size of city to be in or near?
That would make suggestions easier for folks to make.

But to start, I might suggest checking into Lewiston and the surrounding region.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:14 PM

Thanks for both responses. 25000 give or take would be a good size though I am not locked in to that. My wife now works in the front office of a medical concern and she has 11 years working for Safeway bakery and deli. Lewiston does appeal and I am sure I could get used to the smell.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:33 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,769,080 times
You could also consider Moscow or perhaps between Moscow and Lewiston. The average price of a house in Moscow is just a bit higher than Lewiston.

Pocatello is much bigger than your population preference and colder but might still be worth your closer look, in part because of the much lower home prices than these first two.

If you put Ontario Oregon and Payette & Weiser Idaho and nearby country together it would surpass 25k population and might give you another possibility with lower average home prices and mild winters.

Elmore County is up to near 30,000 people and also has the lower average housing prices and mild winters.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-28-2010 at 05:03 PM..

Old 06-29-2010, 12:02 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,873,669 times
I'll second NW Crow on Moscow and Lewiston. Lewiston being a bit cheaper place to live than Moscow, but neither being bad.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:45 PM

Am looking in the Lewiston/Moscow area as suggested. Do you know where the closest international airport is?
Also, when you guys are talking wind what are we saying ...a constant "breeze" or knocking things down wind gusts or ?

I also saw in another thread that one of you commutes from Moscow to Lewiston for work. Moscow is a better place to live?

Thanks for all the info!!

Old 06-29-2010, 02:13 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,873,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Whiskey View Post
Am looking in the Lewiston/Moscow area as suggested. Do you know where the closest international airport is?
Also, when you guys are talking wind what are we saying ...a constant "breeze" or knocking things down wind gusts or ?

I also saw in another thread that one of you commutes from Moscow to Lewiston for work. Moscow is a better place to live?

Thanks for all the info!!

I'm the commuter. And, yes, I prefer Moscow to live in. While it is a bit more expensive, I like the smaller size of the town, the great culture brought by the U of Idaho, and the climate. Moscow is a university town through and through, with all the positives and negatives that brings. Lewiston is a very blue collar town whose main businesses revolve around a pulp mill and manufacturing, with all those positives and negatives. I could be happy in either, but Moscow is the better fit for me.

Living in Moscow, I am glad Lewiston is near by because the warmer winter climate is a nice break, and the shopping is better. If I lived in Lewiston I'd be glad to have Moscow nearby to enjoy the arts and culture, and many great restaurants.

The wind is minimal in both places. Not constant, and rarely knocking things down. I wouldn't consider it something to worry about (But I grew up on the Great Plains of eastern Montana, where it is very windy. Your perspective may be different.) I think C-D has wind info, you may want to check.

Both Moscow and Lewiston have small airports for regional flights to Seattle and Boise hubs. Closest international is Spokane, about 75 miles from Moscow, and 110 from Lewiston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho