Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 12:08 PM

34 posts, read 78,350 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
We're planning a poor mans road trip, meaning a mattress in the back of the explorer, a cooler and a coleman camp stove, and I was wondering if anyone here can make recommendations as to where a good place to 'camp' would be. Also, is it legal to sleep in your car in Idaho? (I know some states it's not) We're coming over from WA on I-90, and we'd like to explore no further south than Cda.
Thanks so much for all your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 08:20 AM

382 posts, read 1,032,634 times
Fernan above the lake is a campground. And if you keep driving there is the woods to camp in for free and it's close to town...

Old 08-19-2010, 09:39 PM

121 posts, read 347,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe_in97 View Post
Also, is it legal to sleep in your car in Idaho? (I know some states it's not)
Are you serious? It's actually illegal in some states to sleep in your car?!? That's just not right.

I was sleeping in my car on the shoulder of I-15 one night (got too drowsy and was taking a little snooze) and the highway patrolman woke me up and explained to me how that wasn't the best place to do that. He recommended a rest stop, but it was farther than I wanted to attempt. I found a ranch exit and a seldom traveled dirt road.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoMormon View Post
I was sleeping in my car on the shoulder of I-15 one night (got too drowsy and was taking a little snooze) and the highway patrolman woke me up and explained to me how that wasn't the best place to do that. He recommended a rest stop, but it was farther than I wanted to attempt. I found a ranch exit and a seldom traveled dirt road.
Yeah, a couple of years ago a guy was asleep in the back of his van on the side of the freeway and some guy crashed into him. The cops didn't even know the guy was in the van, (it was really full of crap, and when they checked it out as an abandoned vehicle they didn't see him) and they found his body at the wrecking yard.
anyway, I heard that it's illegal to sleep in the car in CA.

Thanks for the tip ejay! Myself, I'm partial to camping away from 'campgrounds' so I'm glad to hear there are woods to camp in.
Dh was happy to find out Idao honors other states concealed carry permits, so now he's a happy camper (no pun intended!)

Not sure when we'll be getting out that way now, dh needs shoulder surgery...

Old 08-21-2010, 12:27 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoMormon View Post
Are you serious? It's actually illegal in some states to sleep in your car?!? That's just not right.

Yes, and in even more towns. Vagrancy laws.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:44 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,089,707 times
shoe_in97 I just took a poor man's road trip through Idaho in June. Saw lot's of country, but I stayed south of CdA and north of Stanley for the most part. Too bad you might have a set back, but if ya make it, do not discount the area between Challis and Stanley. I think it would take years to get to know all of that.

good luck

Old 08-25-2010, 03:15 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
I live in Sandpoint and I see people all the time during the summer sleeping in their motorhomes, not cars. I see them at the pulloffs along the side of the road and even in the WalMart parking lot.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:45 AM

39,855 posts, read 26,482,831 times
shoe, there are hundreds of miles of forest service roads in NID, you can camp for free (in your rig or out) on any of them if that appeals to you. How long do you have for your trip, and do you have any specific spots you'd like to see? And do you mind getting yoru rig dirty ? I can give you lots of spots to check out.

Assuming you don't mind dirt roads, I'd recommend Whiskey Rock campground, on the South side of Lake Pend Orielle. The drive from Bunco Road (by Silverwood) to Clark Fork is about 65 miles, camp ground is maybe 25-30 miles from Clark Fork. The drive is beautiful. The campground has some spectacular views across the lake, there's a beach, and best of all (as far as I know anyway), it's free! While the road is gravel, it's a good road, your Explorer won't have any problem. If you're interested, contact the Forest Service about a map and I'll give you route numbers. (actually the maps are available in PDF if you search on-line).

Old 09-06-2010, 08:32 AM

Thanks Toyman!!
Currently our trip is on hold, maybe til spring. Winter is coming with all those pesky holiday obligations plus DH might need shoulder surgery. (hey, such is life, right? Plus now I can pick everyones brain even more!!)
Forest service roads sound about ideal. The 'ol Explorer looks best with a coat of dust and some mud spatters up the windows. Thanks for the tip about the maps. Maps are good!
We are totally in scenic withdrawls. No hunting trip this year (it's DH's right shoulder) so scenic and beautiful are definately on the short list!
I'm gonna go look online for those maps now, and I'll be back with more queations I'm sure.
Thanks again; DH says thanks so much!

Old 09-07-2010, 02:10 PM

39,855 posts, read 26,482,831 times
shoe, here's the link for where to get maps http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...in&pname=Idaho Panhandle National Forests- Maps & Publications.

If you're going to be around the area for a while, I'd get all three (Kaniksu, CDA and St. Joe) forest maps. I thought I'd seen pdfs of these...now I'm not sure where. Either the CDA or Kaniksu map should show that area I was describing with Whisky Rock. Here's a bit more info, sorry no pics. http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...ea&pname=Idaho Panhandle National Forests - Whiskey Rock Bay Campground

I think I have some pictures at home, will try to post them tonight.

How long do you have for your trip, and do you have some specific things you want to see and do? We could help more with trip planning if we knew more.

One caution...if you wait till spring, you'll want to make it LATE spring if you want to spend much time in the National Forests. Lots of roads are at considerable elevation and the snow sticks around for a while. Let me know before you make the trip, I'll be out on the ATV and can give you an idea what is passable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho