Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 09:21 PM

599 posts, read 5,730,525 times

Advertisements

I'm once again in the need of the valuable input from all you nice people here at City Data.

Next Friday my boyfriend leaves Europe to visit me here in Idaho Falls for two weeks. He is here between September 3rd and 19th. I really want to show him that Idaho Falls is very livable, beautiful, and that people here are friendly. My boyfriend is a typical Swede in the sense that he has a very strong opinion regarding America and Americans without even have been in the USA for more than 3 weeks in total in his life. Since I'm getting settled in here in Idaho Falls and have great faith that I will be happy here, I obviously want him to feel the same way. I realize that I will not be able to totally convert him in just two weeks, but at least I want to try.

I need help with coming up with things to do while he is here.

The weekends are already planed. I'm thinking the one day at the Eastern Idaho State Fair, Craters of the moon, Farmers Market, a trip to Jackson and Yellowstone, and the Spud day event in Shelley.

I struggle a bit with coming up with things to do during the weekdays (afternoons and evenings). I will most probably not take days of from work since I have not that much PL accumulated yet and the days I will have will be used around Christmas. Needless to say, I'm not looking for things to fill every afternoon/evening with since I'm hoping for some cozy homemade dinners as well.

Are there any must do or must see in Idaho Falls except the River and a dinner at Collage? Anything that could help my attempt to show him that living in Idaho Falls is not too bad at all?

Thank you!

/joox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 10:19 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Hi Joox, of course I don't know what your boyfriend might like, but I do know Sweden...indoor culture is as important as outdoor culture...so maybe you should take him to the Art Museum (show on about popular modern images of the West right now), and the Idaho Museum, just so he can see that IF isn't all about outdoor activities. I think "Wolf to Woof" is still on. Find out if there's a concert of some sort, whatever kind of music he likes (there's ABBA-Mania in Rexburg Sept.17! ). And here's something off the wall: If you have cable TV or satellite, show him a bunch of different news shows, from the Daily News and MSNBC to Fox News--make him understand that there is a variety of views here. He's getting a pretty one-sided picture of America through the Swedish media!

Old 08-28-2010, 09:15 AM

Hejsan CCF! Good to hear from you. You are right about indoor culture is as important as the outdoor. I have not been to any of the museums yet so that will be fun to do with G. For some reason I had even forgot that there is an Art museum in town, strange since that is my favorite type of museum.

I'm not sure if the ABBA-Mania will be to his liking or if it will scare him away . Is there any particular ways to find out about concerts in the area? I know that I have tried to Google for it in the past, but I was not very successful.

------ sorry, the following paragraph is just me rambling of topic -----
Regarding the news channels - which is a great idea in theory - we do get CNN, FOX, etc on cable, satellite, and on the Internet, at least in the Northern parts of Europe. In fact, the majority of the shows and news that is on TV are from the US even though we do have local news as well. Unfortunately, news channels such as FOX feeds into the not so positive image of Americans. That and the local news, which as you say can be quite biased. In my honest opinion, the reason that Scandinavians in particular have a strong aversion to American culture (not to the American people per say) is that it is so different from what we are used to. The fact that the US politics and culture is so heavily influenced by religion and the urge to have more money than your neighbor is very hard for most Scandinavians to wrap their head around. BUT - and this is the important point to make - most Scandinavians that actually visit the states end up liking the other sides of American culture. Some of us even decide to move to across the Atlantic ocean.

----------------(sort of) done rambling ------------------------

Anyway, the short reply is that G is already quite familiar with the different news channels and that I actually rather him not watching them while he is here. I'm afraid that only would trigger his stereotype image of Americans to surface and grow stronger again.

I know from experience that the best way to change the mindset is to spend time with people to see that their everyday life is not that different from what we are used to, and to realize that there are great people here to.

Compared to other places in the US, I must say that people in Idaho are the most genuine friendly and nice people I have ever met! Thank you and keep up the good work.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:42 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Okay for information on upcoming events in the area you'll want to check here Idaho Falls Arts Council

The Wolf-Woof exhibit at the Bonneville Museum ends on Sept. 11 I know the close in between exhibits for a brief period, just now sure of the exact dates, while they do remain open for a fraction of time he can see the interesting stuff on Idaho Falls' history that they continually keep there.

I know you've been to the other side of Yellowstone near Jackson, have you gone up to West Yellowstone, MT yet? They have an IMAX theatre there.

If he likes jazz music you might want to go here during the week:
September 8, Alive After 5!
Kevin Young Jazz Quartet
Civitan's Plaza, corner of B & Par

I happen to know that Kevin Young is awesome on the saxophone. It's free of cost.

Here's another concert that is free on a Tuesday evening:

September 7, Jazz House Big Band
Classic Big Band
Sponsored by: Jeffrey Ring & Susan Wallber-Ring

That's a few ideas, I'll email you soon

Old 08-28-2010, 10:11 AM

Thank you, Cleosmom! I stayed in West Yellowstone when I went to Yelowstone last year, but that doesn't mean I can't go back.

I'll make sure to note the concert dates.

/joox

Old 08-28-2010, 03:08 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
Here are a few music possibilities for your consideration:

Foreigner at the Eastern Idaho State Fair on Sept. 9. (from Post_Register 2010 summer concerts calendar)

Smashing Pumpkins Thurs Sept 16 at Knitting Factory in Boise. (from Idaho Staesman's calendar)

Bikers and a Jimmy Buffet tribute band Sept 11 in Lava Hot Springs
Lavapalooza Charity Ride - Lava Hot Springs Chamber of Commerce

The music blog of the woman in Pocatello I mentioned before
Slow Loose Gravel
includes a regional calendar that mentions an outdoor SLC concert by Willie Nelson Sept 10, Great White in Jackpot Nevada Sept 17 and the Smashing Pumpkins in SLC Sept. 17.

And Disturbed with Avenged Sevenfold and several other rock and metal bands in SLC Sept 15.
http://eventful.com/saltlakecity/eve...01-030574352-6

I also saw this Swiss Days event in SLC
http://eventful.com/midway_ut/events...01-020801911-3

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-28-2010 at 04:11 PM..

Old 08-28-2010, 04:05 PM

Thank you NW Crow!

Old 08-28-2010, 04:08 PM

You are welcome Joox and I hope the visit goes well.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:29 PM

You said the weekends are planned and you were mainly looking for weekday stuff. The music I found was mostly weekends and mostly well out of town so that may be of limited value, except to say rock concerts are out there and maybe help a little on how to find it.

You probably already have or will do this anyways but for weekday stuff you might also just think about what he already likes to do or what you like to do together and then try to find it here rather than focus entirely on the area's "must do" stuff.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:25 PM

692 posts, read 3,141,910 times
Tell him there is a Serious Proposal Pending to build an "Authentic Ludafisk Place" just down the street.

He will certainly want to stick around to see how it compares.

That will buy you some valuable time to convince him to stay.

Cheers and Good Luck,

SF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho