Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 09:34 PM

9 posts, read 35,114 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I am brand new to City-Data Forum and I've been reading all you have to say about the LDS folks that are living in the So. Eastern part of Idaho. It intrigued me as I am LDS and we are considering moving to that part of the state. We're trying to get closer to family. We're currently living in Branson, MO, which we just LOVE, but hate being so far away from grandkids, etc. But here, the folks are all so friendly it doesn't matter what religion you are and we've got Baptists, Catholics, LDS, Jewish, other protestant faiths, and everyone seems to get along just fine. But we don't have a large LDS population here; maybe 1,000-1200 people. But I'm not so sure I want to move into areas where other LDS folks are not living the way we've been taught: to love our neighbors and be helpful and kind.

I guess it takes just a few to sort of ruin it for the rest of us who are trying to be good, community citizens, and trying our best to do the right thing.

So with that said, does anyone have any help for me on the communities between Idaho Falls and Rexburg? We personally prefer a smaller town, but we're willing to look at anything.

Hey, thanks for your help, and if we should happen to move into your community, we would hope that we would be an asset and a good neighbor.

PhotoSponge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 06:39 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Post What Information Do You Need?

Not sure where my original post went, so will write this one and hope it posts.

PhotoSponge, there are many forumers such as Rigby Mom of 3, cleosmom etc. who will given you the most accurate information they can about eastern ID. I've forgotten some of the user names of others who have contributed very useful posts (and I apologize to those forumers for not remembering your usernames). Many reidents have constructive comments to help guide you to further information or resources for the area.

I have noticed that sometimes it appears that some area trying to get people not to move to eastern ID, when those asking about eastern ID have already decided this is where they want to be. That is always interesting to me of why those who USE to live somewhere many years ago assume even the street lights are the same as when they lived in the area.

Due to the large increase and a much more diverse population, major redevelopment - which has never occurred at this rate and quality in eastern ID previously, so many factors have changed, I believe the most useful comments you will receive are from those who live/work in the area in the last 12 months (as even the census will most likely show a 4K change in Idaho Falls residents in one year). Too much if changing too quickly for me to make current decisions based on what used to be. I WISH real estate prices were what they use to be!

So with that being said, what more do you want to know about living somewhere between Idaho Falls and Rexburg? You mentioned a smaller town - Rigby Mom of 3- I believe has only lived in Rigby about a year and would probably have a lot of useful info for you. One thing I do know about the Rigby area, that those in the area may not realize, is property value is soaring. Rigby is becoming a favorite location for many. But, the availability of different types of housing isn't as abundant as some may think.

It use to be the land in Rigby was far cheaper than that in Bonneville County, closer to Idaho Falls. That's changing. But, most property in eastern ID is much more expensive than it use to be, with a increasing population. Developers are responding offering new housing options that haven't been available currently.

Besides, it's becoming more difficult to see where Ucon/Iona etc. in Bonneville County end and Rigby, southern Jefferson County start. Like most metro areas, the boundaries are blurring are becoming invisible.

You mention you may be moving closer to your family. Obviously, your family members experience life in eastern ID and can probably direct you to many resources. Please ask us some more specific questions so we might be able to give you better answers or connections to sources/people who may know the best information currently available.

Bonneville County's estimated population for 2007 is 103,000. Idaho Falls, as you know, serves as the hub to many of the regional services. Currently, Idaho Falls has about 57K residents with a 4% annual growth. Rexburg and Ammon are two of the fastest growing cities in the state. Rigby is also growing at a brisk place being between Idaho Falls and Rexburg.

Probably factors such as your transportation needs (how close do you need to be to a commercial airport), employment needs - I don't know what you do for a living and if opportunities might be greater in one city than another to what you need in a new residence all are factors.

Please write additional information, clarifying some of your specific needs. Hopefully, some of us can give you useful tips.

As for the LDS comments on this forum, I certainly feel badly for those who had bad experiences interacting with members of any faith where they use to reside compared to where they live now. They were smart to move when they could instead of remaining somewhere and being that miserable, IMO.

I don't know how long your family has lived in the Idaho Falls - Rexburg area, so I don't know how familiar they are with what use to be a much more homogenous population, with a smaller population and fewer religions compared to what exists in much more diverse Idaho Falls area today. Many non-LDS families and individuals have been very happy and successful living in Idaho Falls-Rexburg area.

Let us know what specific info you want to know, and I'm certain that a few of my forumers, as well as myself, will do our best to provide you the most accurate data available

Old 07-01-2007, 09:37 AM

Hello Mtn. States Resident,
Thanks for your reply to my "Looking to move to Eastern/So.Eastern Idaho". I appreciated all your comments as they were very helpful.

Our family actually live in the Boise/Meridian area, but that's far too expensive for us! Others are in California. We would be much happier with just a few hours to a days drive to visit family, as opposed to our now 3-4 day drive from Branson, MO.

We're professional photographers so no need to be close to a certain company or fixed job. Just need to know where property values are still somewhat tolerable and taxes are not too high. And, hopefully, where the winters are not much more than a foot of snow.

Good nursing homes for my mother-in-law are also a necessity!!! We really need help on this one!

Thanks again...And by the way, how do I get in touch with these other folks you mentioned: "Rigby mom of 3" and "cleosmom", etc. I don't know much about maneuvering around in forum sites.

PhotoSponge

Old 07-01-2007, 02:11 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoSponge View Post
Hello Mtn. States Resident,
Thanks for your reply to my "Looking to move to Eastern/So.Eastern Idaho". I appreciated all your comments as they were very helpful.

Our family actually live in the Boise/Meridian area, but that's far too expensive for us! Others are in California. We would be much happier with just a few hours to a days drive to visit family, as opposed to our now 3-4 day drive from Branson, MO.

We're professional photographers so no need to be close to a certain company or fixed job. Just need to know where property values are still somewhat tolerable and taxes are not too high. And, hopefully, where the winters are not much more than a foot of snow.

Good nursing homes for my mother-in-law are also a necessity!!! We really need help on this one!

Thanks again...And by the way, how do I get in touch with these other folks you mentioned: "Rigby mom of 3" and "cleosmom", etc. I don't know much about maneuvering around in forum sites.

PhotoSponge

Psst! Hi Photosponge, it's me Cleosmom

Which is you shutterbug specialty? Studio or freelance or a mix? The is area is quite photogenic! Not sure how long out you're planning to make your move here, but they just broke ground on a brand new senior community here in IF, complete with independent living, assisted living and an Alzheimer's ward as well. From what I understand it's going to be large at best, I thought I had heard 250 acres? Is you MIL on assisted living or can she handle living alone?

My mom lives in Elk Creek Senior Independent Living Center and right around the corner from them is a brand new assisted living center call Mt Vernon. I've checked them all out in town and I'm somewhat partial to the Mallory House.

I'm needing to run and get back to work to check on a client, however feel free to fire away the questions and I'll answer those that I can

Old 07-01-2007, 09:18 PM

Hello Cleosmom! Thanks so much for responding! Well, we photograph mostly on location, but I can set up a small studio in my home too! We probably won't make the move for another year, but we're checking out all the areas now.

My mother-in-law needs a full-care facility. Her mind is sharp and alert, especially for 94 yrs. old, but she can't walk anymore--in a wheelchair all the time. She also needs a facility that accepts Medi-caid. I'll go on-line and check out those facilities you mentioned.

Do you know anything about housing/neighborhoods in Shelly, Idaho or Rigby, Idaho? We are of the retirement age so we don't need to worry about schools; just a nice, friendly neighborhood.

Thanks again for your help.
PhotoSponge

Old 07-01-2007, 09:58 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Well, then your MIL should be in luck with the new facility as far as it's completion goes, not sure about it being Medicaid acceptable though. I know Mallory House as of late does indeed accept it. There are others too, however they insist on her sharing a room with someone else. I know my own mother won't even live with me (her choice), so I highly doubt she'd accept a total stranger.

I'd head more towards Rigby. It's quite the tight knit community,everyone knows their neighbor, their neighbor's relatives and so forth Shelley is pretty much the same, however there have been a ton of drug busts down in Bingham County. Not saying that those issues aren't everywhere, but RIgby hasn't made it their claim to fame.

If location shots are your specialty, you'll truly love this area!

Old 07-02-2007, 09:49 AM

Thank You CleosMom! Appreciate all your input. Happy 4th of July!
PhotoSponge

Old 07-04-2007, 07:14 PM

82 posts, read 370,706 times
The area is stunning in the summer. Its the winter thats hard, at least for me. The roads are rarely plowed well, your basically driving on a sheet of ice all winter. Make sure you get studded tires. I personally don't think that the 3 nice months in the summer is worth the frigid cold for the rest of the year. We're headed somewhere warmer soon, I can't stand another winter here.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:29 PM

Hello FunkyPioneer,
Thanks for your comments. If you don't mind me asking a personal question, are you folks in your "Senior Years" or prior to that? My husband and I ARE senior citizens (young-at-heart though...) and were concerned that the winters might be too harsh for us. I don't mind the cold, personally, and here in Branson, Missouri, we do get the ice sometimes, but our roads do get plowed fairly quickly. Our snow may be 10 inches max. and not all at one time. Our winters are in the 20's-30's normally, but see many a day/evening below zero. But it's not bad. That's Dec. into Feb. The rest of the year is really nice, but we do have July/August humidity. But we still go out and cut the lawns in that.

Do these temps. sound anything close to Rigby's? Also, how long have you lived there? Any further comments will be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks,
PhotoSponge

Old 07-05-2007, 03:38 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Post MO doesn't sounds so Different than ID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoSponge View Post
Hello FunkyPioneer,
Thanks for your comments. If you don't mind me asking a personal question, are you folks in your "Senior Years" or prior to that? My husband and I ARE senior citizens (young-at-heart though...) and were concerned that the winters might be too harsh for us. I don't mind the cold, personally, and here in Branson, Missouri, we do get the ice sometimes, but our roads do get plowed fairly quickly. Our snow may be 10 inches max. and not all at one time. Our winters are in the 20's-30's normally, but see many a day/evening below zero. But it's not bad. That's Dec. into Feb. The rest of the year is really nice, but we do have July/August humidity. But we still go out and cut the lawns in that.

Do these temps. sound anything close to Rigby's? Also, how long have you lived there? Any further comments will be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks,
PhotoSponge
PhotoSponge,

I'll have to let FunkyPioneer answer those questions for him/herself. Last year was an ABNORMAL year with weather. I disagree that there are only three months that it's warm. Maybe there are 3 months that are in the 90s, but if I remember correctly, you are comparing both summer and winter in Idaho to the same season in Phoenix. They are as different as night and day.

Check the charts on City-data, or the local tv stations (KIDK and KIFI). Or another really good website to show the AVERAGE temps - both high and low - plus odd trends is at Welcome to The Weather Underground : Weather Underground. I use it for traveling all the time.

I do think there is a need for your skills in eastern ID. I agree with Cleosmom that there are several good options for your MIL in Idaho Falls. It's sure hard to be in that sandwich generation which can start anytime from the time someone is mid-30s to 60s. It's hard having both older and younger generations to be concerned about and possibly care for, given that you have to live you life as well.

As for where to live, I think the Shelley, N. Bingham County would be a little bit cheaper than Rigby. Lots of nice hills east in the country. Also, while it's not much, it would put you about 30 miles closer to your relatives in the Boise area.

I grew up in the area and what some consider cold now just doesn't compare to what it use to be. Both, because more people and more buildings break up the cold, and better developments are focusing on building facilities with underground parking etc. so one doesn't have to go outside on the really bad days.

In a normal year - sub zero temperatures during the day, just don't happen. Reaching 0 at night happens probably less than a dozen times/year. Idaho Falls doesn't have the humidity you have in MO.

Realistically, the bad snowstorms don't happen that many days of the year. Maybe 12- 15 days. It's easy to think they happen 60-90 days when one storm has followed another and one hasn't lived in an area long enough to understand the patterns and what is or isn't abnormal for the area.

It use to be the coldest temperatures never really hit until Jan. But, with this change all of us in the Intermountain West (ask MT and WY, let alone UT and CO residents what they experienced this last year that was sooooooooo different than normal), it seems like summer is now happening by Memorial Day and winter hits right after Thanksgiving. I don't have any theories, merely observations.

The great things about the colder weather are the warm fires in fireplaces and great, comfortable sweaters or fleeces. Your weather actually sounds similar, except with the humdity, it may feel colder than the thermometer reads.

As for how to get in touch with RigbyMomof3, look on a major Idaho Falls or Rigby post. Once you see her user name, just double-click on it and you will have the option to send a private message (PM). That should get you connected.

I've lived in several other states and ID seems far warmer to me now than what it use to be. But again, with more people and facilities geared for life in Idaho Falls, maybe it's partly just that others don't mind the weather. Nothing like having happy people around you instead of those who aren't happy, to make a day seem better.

Lots of professionals relocate from St. Louis or Kansas City, Mo to Idaho Falls and don't seem to notice much change in the temps. How different St. Louis and/or K.C. are from Branson, I don't know. Plus, often they are in their 30s or 40s.

Then there are those who pray on July 4th and the rest of the year for SNOW (and I'm not talking about the watermasters). Those who ski in Grand Targhee or the resrots of Jackson Hole - so many different areas to ski, if you are a fan or have family members who enjoy the sport.

I hope this helps. Please post your other questions. If you can't get in touch with RigbyMomof 3, let us know and one of us can send her a PM and ask her to post here.

Good luck finding your special, new place to call home. I'm positive you will know if a certain area is right for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho