Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:50 AM

836 posts, read 1,488,950 times

Advertisements

News.... Imperial is modifying some of its loads so they can take them on the Interstate... since this first Conoco load went so swimmingly.

Some megaloads downsized for interstate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:58 AM

7,354 posts, read 12,596,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strudel42 View Post
News.... Imperial is modifying some of its loads so they can take them on the Interstate... since this first Conoco load went so swimmingly.

Some megaloads downsized for interstate
Did you notice how the story changes all the time? Now they're saying they planned to ship some loads by interstate anyway...
I guess this is the latest addition to a long story we could call "Stalled by the Bitterroots"! Lewis and Clark had a hard time, too...

Old 02-15-2011, 09:51 AM

107 posts, read 298,386 times
Am I missing something here? The only overpass I can think of is the one on 95 in Lewiston. Not that I want them going up 12, but seriously, if cutting these things down to size was always a possibility then why didn't they do that in the first place?

ITD gives go-ahead for move of Imperial Oil/ExxonMobil test load | KLEW CBS 3 - News, Weather and Sports - Lewiston, ID - Lewiston, Idaho | Local & Regional

Montana protesters greet megaload | KLEW CBS 3 - News, Weather and Sports - Lewiston, ID - Lewiston, Idaho | Local & Regional

Old 02-15-2011, 10:22 AM

448 posts, read 1,067,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMMan View Post
I've only driven I90 between Spokane and the St. Maries turnoff, but most Highways are set up so the offramps and onramps can be utilized by overheight loads. Stiill a shame their isn't a better solution.
Could they have barged them up the Columbia or up through Vancouver then on down? Or what about more south from Frisco, I-80 etc? It seems there wasn't enough study on the issue?

Old 02-15-2011, 10:24 AM

448 posts, read 1,067,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Did you notice how the story changes all the time? Now they're saying they planned to ship some loads by interstate anyway...
I guess this is the latest addition to a long story we could call "Stalled by the Bitterroots"! Lewis and Clark had a hard time, too...
Ya gotta love it! What would Lewis & Clark have done

Old 02-19-2011, 01:17 AM

291 posts, read 668,130 times
You know this equipment didn't have to be built overseas in the first place. I believe their are still a few Americans and probably a few Canadians as well that remember how to weld steel together. Although they've definetely been out of practice for awhile due to corporate Americas rush to overseas industry.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:26 AM

[quote][I believe their are still a few Americans and probably a few Canadians as well that remember how to weld steel together./QUOTE]

No doubt! My son was an industrial welder right here in Idaho until a few years ago when the company he worked for laid him off. He's currently running a groomer at a ski resort in Tahoe. He keeps his welding skills up with occasional work in the shop there, but he isn't making anywhere near the income he was previously. Although he'll tell you he's having much more fun now. Still, it's a shame we raise these kids here in Idaho and they end up leaving because the jobs aren't here. I know it happens everywhere, but some days I really miss my kid.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:00 PM

Wow. Really, this makes me pretty sad. The state doesn't like that some of its citizens disagree with the actions of the state so basically, if it were up to this guy from St. Maries only very rich people could afford recourse. Wow! Seriously, I can't believe this would be a good thing.

Idaho bill targets anti-megaload lawsuits - Spokesman.com - Feb. 23, 2011

Old 02-23-2011, 07:46 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,707,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInIdaho View Post
Wow. Really, this makes me pretty sad. The state doesn't like that some of its citizens disagree with the actions of the state so basically, if it were up to this guy from St. Maries only very rich people could afford recourse. Wow! Seriously, I can't believe this would be a good thing.

Idaho bill targets anti-megaload lawsuits - Spokesman.com - Feb. 23, 2011
Wow. I'm glad that our local rep from Priest Lake is opposed to this.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:05 PM

Did you notice this Misty?

Rep. Max Black, R-Boise, said, “I think that that’s totally justifiable because they really did put the Department of Transportation into a lot of extra hearings and transportation costs, going to North Idaho for the hearings and whatever else. Ultimately, they won, but without this, there was no reimbursement for their extra expenses.”

I've always believed that southern Idaho thinks that the Panhandle is nothing more than an afterthought, but that just cements it! Heaven forbid they might have to actually come up here where the issue is actually relevant. Nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho