Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2007, 12:40 PM

341 posts, read 1,669,369 times

Advertisements

I read somewhere in earlier threads that Idaho City was only 40 minutes from Boise..
Would this be an area to consider living in and commuting to Boise on a daily basis - here in Phoenix I travel 50 minutes to work ..on overcrowded highway
However I would think the drive from Idaho City to Boise would be not congested and also be very scenic??? also are the winters tough there? or do they receive the same weather as Boise?
ALso is this a town for a family? activities for children? (preteen) and are there supermarkets, movies, etc there?
thanks

ALso does anyone know if Emmett would be a realistic commute to Boise everyday? climate? schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 08:35 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,085,533 times
I'm not sure Idaho City would be a good commute at all - especially in the winter. It gets quite cold and snowy up there.

Best bet for a daily commute, and better for us all, is to live closer to where you might work and shop. I know of people that commute from Emmett to Boise, but it's a wearying commute. The commute from Mountain Home is the same.

There isn't much going on in Idaho City, and I know for a fact that they don't care to have many people moving up there. It would be a good place to retire to if you wanted to isolate yourself from people, but I'm not sure about the quality of the schools.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:21 AM

304 posts, read 1,426,713 times
I agree with Anchorless about the commute in the winter from Idaho City. The road is winding and could be a real pain in winter weather. That road can also get congested in the summer with people going up to the mountains, though probably not as congested as the road up to McCall.

I don't think there is much for kids to do in Idaho City either. I don't think you would be too happy with the schools.

I know a few people that commute to downtown Boise from Emmett. They enjoy living in Emmett, but they come into the office earlier and leave earlier to avoid traffic.

Have you considered living closer to Boise? I know you mentioned you already have a 50 minute commute in Phoenix, but why spend all that time on commuting to Boise if you don't have to do it? What kind of amenities are you looking for in your home and neighborhood?

Old 10-30-2008, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,827 times
I realize this post is over a year old, but I wanted to add some info, in case anyone else is asking themselves the same question. The first thing I am curious about is whether the other posters have been to Idaho City before. Actually the commute in the winter is no big deal. Many people do it. You travel Highway 21 about 38 miles to Boise. It is a two lane highway, and yes it is winding. The county takes very good care of it and there are fewer accidents (no tourists or motorcyclists). The time from city limits to Boise is about 40 minutes. It will be longer depending on where you are going. I don't think I have ever seen the road congested, and I have lived here for 20 years. In reality your are exchanging a 50 minute commute in traffic, to a 50 minute commute on a mountain road. I moved here from Seattle, I will take the mountain road. :-) As far as winters go, we get a lot more snow than Boise. Many people move in in the fall, and move out the next spring. We can have anywhere from 3-8 feet of snow. Last year was a very heavy snow year. As far as the schools go, it is small. We have k-6 and 7-12. There are from 300-400 kids in the SCHOOL, not per class. The teachers work very hard to meet kids where they are, whether that is a weakness or a point of excelling. The teachers know all the kids. The teachers work together to help kids out or to challenge them. No, it is not going to have all of the resources of a small school. Idaho City has 450 people living in the city limits, and about 4000 in the surrounding areas. For things for kids to do, well, it is a small mountain town. Sports are big, and anyone can play. (with a CLASS of 35, you don't need to do tryouts and cuts) :-) For movies and such, we go to Boise. Idaho City is not a town of Suburban sprawl, it is a separate town. I know the Pheonix area has several suburbs, it isn't like that. If you are looking for a smaller part, yet still a "city", you might want to look out the other direction towards Kuna and Meridian. Although traffic is pretty heavy that direction. Hmmm, I think I answered all the questions. I don't know about Emmett as a place to live, so I will refrain from that. :-) Oh, for families-Idaho City if a very family friendly place. I have two young kids and I love that I can help in the classroom (and be welcome) and go on field trips. The summers are great, as we live in the mountains. A lot of outdoor activity along with a lot of races come through here. (motorcycle and bike) If you like city life though, you will not like Idaho City. The "big" stores in town are Donna's Place, Idaho City Grocery, and Tom's Service. And Starbucks is a 50 minute trip. There are no fast food resteraunts in town. I hope that gives you an idea of what Idaho City is like. Best thing to do is come to Boise, and scout the areas around. See what fits you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho