Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,162 times

Advertisements

After 10 years together and constantly talking about it, my husband and I are finally putting the plan in motion to move west. Idaho is top on our list and we are hoping to make it happen by May of next year.

I am currently a state employee of 11 years in PA and have been researching Idaho's state gov't positions. I've already taken the exams online and have scored well to hopefully have my name put on future jobs lists. I was hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on a question I have though. Would my current years of service transfer to the new state or would I basically be starting over?

Also, is anyone familiar with the state job process and how long the time period is from getting on the lists to possibly getting a call for an interview, hire time, etc? When I started working here, the process took about 6 months from the time I took the exam to my start date (for an administrative assistant position). I do realize the economy is a LOT different now than it was 11 years ago, but I guess I'm just being hopeful (dreaming? maybe, lol).

Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 03:52 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,889,255 times
The state has laid off hundreds of workers and cut others work weeks without pay. I'd be surprised if they are hiring at all.

Ada County still hires fairly often though. You may check them out since Boise is probably where your moving if your looking for state jobs.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,162 times
I received my information about the current vacancies through the state's website, which is where I also applied, took my exam and was placed on the vacancy list. I'm assuming that if they weren't currently hiring for certain positions, they wouldn't have the vacancies listed? I could be wrong, but I'm just going by what I saw.

In PA they've also laid off hundreds of state employees, but many of those state employees were in certain fields (custodial, maintenance, etc.). Was it made public what Idaho positions were eliminated or what fields were the most employees laid off in? I'm interested!

I just want my name out there in every possible way that by some chance, I'll get called for an interview. Can't hurt to try and I figure it's definitely not too early for me to do it. I'm keeping all of my options open!

And also, I'm taking the chance and keeping my fingers crossed that I'd get called for a position in a branch office somewhere other than Boise. They're located all around the state, no? I realize that Boise is where most state positions are, but it's kind of the bottom of our location list (no offense! ).

Old 10-16-2010, 06:47 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,021,882 times
It all probably depends on what area of work you're interested in. Many government jobs have benefits/retirement transfers included...you can "buy into" their retirement system using years of service from a previous like job. But my guess is that each department has its own policies regarding that.

I worked in law enforcement in Arizona before retiring to northern Idaho and I know that even with hiring "freezes" there were many positions which had to be kept filled...so hiring always went on. It's probably the same here, although being in the non-job-looking realm now I won't pretend I've investigated it. As always, if you want something enough to be tenacious and patient, you will find a way. And Idaho is worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho