U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2010, 01:14 PM

21 posts, read 43,941 times

Advertisements

Can somebody share with me any information concerning Challis? I'm retired,so employment not an issue.just info.concerning the location,weather,housing,etc many thanks to all!!! David
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 07:59 PM

6,281 posts, read 10,299,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvmountaineer View Post
Can somebody share with me any information concerning Challis? I'm retired,so employment not an issue.just info.concerning the location,weather,housing,etc many thanks to all!!! David

//www.city-data.com/city/Challis-Idaho.html

Scroll down for weather stats, etc.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:50 PM

5 posts, read 24,162 times
Challis is a very small town (about 600 in town) supported by ranching, mining, and outdoor recreation. It has long cold winters but they don't get that much snow, maybe six to eight inches at any one time on the ground. The Salmon river runs right through the area which is a nice attraction. There are numerous river front properties availble. It is great for fishing, hunting, and river rafting. They have a medical clinc there but you need to go out of town for serious medical attention. There are a couple of grocery stores, a hardware store, and a drug store in one of the grocery stores. The growing season is quite short. Most years you wouldn't be able to grow corn. Some hardy fruit trees will produce there though. Let me know if you have questions. I grew up in the area and have lived there as well but not any more.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:24 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,417,118 times
The fishing is great. The Salmon River is the only spot I've ever found that I can consistently catch fish. Usually 3-4 at a time verses 0 verywhere else I go. But it gets pretty cold there. The highest peak in Idaho is nearby and if you like a challenge you could try to climb it. I did and it was probably one of the hardest things I've ever done, but it feels pretty good once you get up there.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:42 PM

21 posts, read 43,941 times
Smile Challis Id.

Hey,Thanks for the replys!! i appreciate them very much,wanted to put a trip together to go out there this yr.but probably have to wait till spring next yr now. i live in East Tenn. and i'm fed up with it!! i was in Challis this past May,but wasn't there long enough to gather any real info. on it.again,thanks to all that replied. Wvmouintaineer

Old 10-20-2010, 09:47 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,578,864 times
We lived in Challis and Clayton for 8 years. Really liked it. We moved from there to Cambridge. ID, in 1994. Easier living over on this side of Idaho. Lots more snow but there is NOT ice on the roads for 6 months. Warmer here and not as remote as Challis but we still maintain the small town, in fact smaller than Challis, feel.

Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: