Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2006, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,450 times

Advertisements

I have a sister in Nampa and I have grown to LOVE Idaho over the past 10 years of visiting her there. The time has come to "escape" the craziness of Atlanta and make my move to Idaho. I am looking at Weiser. It seems to be far enough out of a big city, yet close enough for me to commute (I fly for an airline). I miss the simple life of a small town like we had growing up in Iowa and Wisconsin and have been yearning to get back to that pace. I do have a few questions regarding Weiser:

1. Is housing affordable? I am currently in a 15 yo 4 br 3 bath on 1.74 acres which I am hoping to sell for $150,000. I'd like to find something that has at least 2 acres but doesn't have to be as big of a house.

2. I'm LDS and I'm guessing they have a presence there - any input?

3. There have been home invasions here as well as murders, theft, drugs, etc. How is it in Weiser? Am I going to have to worry a lot about meth labs and crack houses?

Thanks for you help!

Diana in Atlanta :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2006, 08:25 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,911,559 times
Diana,

My husband and I lived in Weiser for a year and a half before he decided HE wanted to move back to Cambridge,30 miles up the highway where we had lived before Weiser.

I loved living in Weiser. You might run into meth labs anywhere. We had one right behind our house when we lived in town in Cambridge on two acres. I did not even have a clue it was there until Hazmat showed up to deal with it. Cambridge is a very small town. And to think those meth jerks were exposing my pet cow to crime and danger. Sigh

Your price range might be a little low for 4 bedrooms and two acres. If you are interested PM me for a little more information. I am NOT a real estate agent so I am NOT soliciting you.

Chris

Old 08-18-2006, 12:21 PM

278 posts, read 1,134,522 times
I would think you need to raise you dollars for housing .It is all farm land for the most part so expect a lot of spraying and chem. drift. Also lots of drugs in the area being so close to Ontario Or. They also get a lot of flooding there some times because of the Boise and snake rivers.
Being your job I would look into was I want to live that is better priced and then only visit Idaho. But again that is if you were me. I lived in Idaho for over ten years and would never move back I lived in south west Idaho

Old 08-21-2006, 01:05 PM

41 posts, read 168,916 times
I spent a lot of time looking at the MLS listings before moving up here. They will give you a good idea about the cost of housing - not only in Weiser, but in all of the towns surrounding Boise.

P.S. We LOVE Weiser!! D

Old 05-14-2009, 12:50 PM

3 posts, read 12,651 times
Diana - Weiser is a terrific place to live. Been here 25 years, raised four children and can't imagine living elsewhere. And you are right - it's close to Boise which is great for shopping, theater, (Go Broncos!) and yet it's an hour from Boise which is great for not having to deal with the insanity that sometimes comes with larger city living. Yes, we do have a strong LDS presence as well as many other great churches. Sounds like home prices are close; you can find a nice comparable property here for under $200K. You aren't going to completely get away from crime anywhere you live. Huge sense of community - we take care of our own. We get called Mayberry a lot and we like it that way BUT we are also a very progressive small town that understands you have to look forward. Terrific hunting, fishing, two hours from three ski areas if that's your pleasure ... if I sound like a cheerleader, I so am (which is why I work for the Chamber of Commerce). Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: