Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2007, 09:39 AM

6 posts, read 20,771 times

Advertisements

Hello

I'm from Northern Virginia and I want to move from here because the cost of living is so high and traffic is bad. I've been looking for a place with a low cost of living and low unemployment, and I think Idaho fits.

I know the rent is cheap in Idaho (at least when compared to NoVa), But I have a few questions regarding employment that I would like answered please.

How easy is it to find a job?
How much should I expect to make?
which areas have the most jobs?
what kind of jobs?

Oh, and I don't have a degree yet, so I'll work anywhere.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 09:54 AM

434 posts, read 3,171,521 times
It depends on what you want to do. If you are looking for a $25-40,000 a year job there are lots of jobs here. Once you hit the $50,000 a year mark you start to run into people that have a lot of experience and are willing to work for less money in order to live in Boise. I just went through a job search and that was my experience.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:05 AM

110 posts, read 571,079 times
Maybe we can trade spots! We are relocating from ID to NOVA because of better work opportunities and other reasons. Depending on what sector you work, you can find a job easily here, but be prepared for a major cut in salary as NOVA pays 2 to 3 times more than in ID for the same position. Of course our cost of living is lower, but at the end, it is all relative. You spend less here but you also earn a lot less. Here in ID I was making $27K as a teacher with a masters degree, in Nova I make about $50K, but at the end the cost if living makes up for my salary increase and it all equals out.
Anyway, if you work in the technology sector, Idaho is about to take a hit, Micron just laid off tons of workers (in ID and around the world) this week and I am sure this will eventually hit the local economy. Do your reseach well, make sure you are moving here for what Idaho has to offer and not just because of the lower cost of living. Fab

Old 07-09-2007, 10:07 AM

6 posts, read 20,771 times
Thanks for replying. I don't have a degree yet or any special job skills, so I doubt I will make that much money. I'm not moving to get rich, just to be able to get by for now.

Here in North Virginia I can easily find a cashier position for at least 10.00 dollars, but that's not enough to pay the expensive 1,100 dollars rent for a small apartment.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:51 PM

74 posts, read 311,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxwert View Post
Thanks for replying. I don't have a degree yet or any special job skills, so I doubt I will make that much money. I'm not moving to get rich, just to be able to get by for now.

Here in North Virginia I can easily find a cashier position for at least 10.00 dollars, but that's not enough to pay the expensive 1,100 dollars rent for a small apartment.
I can assure you that you will make nowhere near $10/hour for a cashier position. Cashiers generally make minimum wage in Idaho and even if cost of living is less, it is not that much less. Gas $3.25/gal, you have to have a car because public transportation is terrible, rent for a 1-bedroom will start at least $600 and I know this because when I moved to Boise to finish college 6 years ago rent for a 1-bed cost me $625 (now I pay $910 for 1100 s.f townhouse).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho