Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 08:14 PM

99 posts, read 317,617 times

Advertisements

We just moved to the Athol area from San Diego. We don't know anybody here. Though I lived in a rural area where I grew up, nobody had gates in front of their property. Here, houses are set back from the road and there's usually a gate near the road, containing dogs or livestock. We don't have one, anybody could walk right up to our front door and ring (I kinda wish sombody would.)

What are you supposed to do if you wanted to meet your neighbor? Folks wave as they drive by, I guess that means they're friendly but nobody stops to chat. It's pretty cold and folks are not out and about for a bump into. I don't want to breach somebody's security perimeter if that's going to irritate them. What's the correct protocol?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 12:43 PM

291 posts, read 669,622 times
Approach the house with both hands in the air, one carrying a white flag, the other holding a fresh baked apple pie.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:16 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
LOL, KTMman!
Rogdog, we usually drive up to the house (close the gate behind you!!!) , stop, and wait for the 3-4 dogs to simmer down, and for the folks to emerge. Smile, wave, roll down the window, tell them who you are and that you just want to introduce yourselves. Ask if the dogs are friendly! Then, if your neighbors are like ours, they'll welcome you. Maybe ask you in, maybe not, but that first encounter should break the ice. Don't expect them to come to you first--they'll respect your privacy. One of our neighbors showed up with a lawnmower 1/2 hour after we'd met, and mowed our entire driveway and clearing. No, you can't borrow him!

Also, it doesn't hurt to tell them to call on you if there's anything you can help out with. They're likely to bring that up first, but it'll show them you intend to be a good neighbor. And if you end up getting along, they're likely to invite you to their church. That's when you need to be diplomatic, in case it isn't your choice of church, or you're not religious...

Old 01-11-2011, 11:41 AM

99 posts, read 317,617 times
Thanks guys. Where do you buy fresh baked pies around here? Just kidding.

Just so I'm clear. The gate is to contain the critters and it's kosher to open it as long as I keep the critters in? By "set back" I meant a few hundred feet. It's not really driving distance and you can see it from the house. Would a honk and wait at the gate be preferable?

Old 01-11-2011, 12:58 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
I would never open a closed gate and honestly, I'd be pretty irritated if someone opened mine (if it were closed) and came on in.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:13 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
I would never open a closed gate and honestly, I'd be pretty irritated if someone opened mine (if it were closed) and came on in.

Warning-forget the dog, beware of Redhead!

Old 01-11-2011, 02:51 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,169 times
Quote:

Ditto. I'm from (and in) the south and even we don't do this here. Hmm... maybe a card or a small goodie tied to the outside of the gate, weather permitting, of course, with your contact info?

Old 01-11-2011, 07:31 PM

804 posts, read 2,892,277 times
Quote:
We approach all sorts of land owners houses during our pre-season scouting trips and during hunting season. If the gate is closed we use our discretion whether to enter. Most of the time we will enter and make sure the gate is closed. When we pull up to the house if the owner is not already outside we will sit in the car a few moments to see what is going to happen. If there is no mean dogs outside the truck door we approach the house with caution and make sure to slam our car door so we dont spook or surprise the homeowner.
We have never met anyone that has threatened us or even treated us unfairly. We have met a lot of people who do not wish to allow us to hunt their property but after "BSing" with them for half a hour or so they decide we can hunt. You would be amazed what a little friendly conversation can do.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:53 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Warning-forget the dog, beware of Redhead!
Pretty much.
I've had people come through a closed gate and ignore No Trespassing signs and still think they're going to sweet-talk me into becoming a JW, Mormon or buying a vaccum. I do become less than nice.
When you live out far and you suddenly see a car in your driveway or a strange man on the porch, it can be disconcerting for a woman home alone or worse, a teenager or older child.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:41 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Point taken, and from my own perspective I'd absolutely agree--once we've got the gate in, even without having critters, 'd feel weird about somebody just rolling up to the house through our woods, unannounced. But I think Fearnofish brings up a good point about using discretion and letting each situation dictate how one should approach neighbors. Misty, how would you prefer to be approached by a new neighbor who wants to be polite and just say hi?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho