Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 12:15 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred s2 View Post
12 inch whites with air bob sole. I would look at the original pac and not the snow cat
I'd like a pair of Whites....but the budget doesn't allow it. I have Danners with the air bob soles. The air bob soles are great for hunting, they grab decently when sidehilling or climbing. They are the WORST I'VE OWNED on ice or hard packed snow. Those little rounded bumps make like ball bearings, I've landed on my padded parts far more than I like. For a dedicated winter boot, I'd look at a Vibram sole, or something similar.. I think Whites will give you whatever type you want.

To the OP, how will you be using yours? Are you looking at spending a lot of time standing still, say hunting from a stand or ice fishing? General work outside, shoveling snow, etc? Or just walking to the rig to go somewhere? I like pac boots if I'm standing or snowmobiling, not so much for walking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 09:09 PM

48 posts, read 122,380 times
Yeah, Whites are spendy, but I have to have good boots. I run a set of 10" smokejumpers 5 days a week. If I was outside in the snow a lot, I would have to spring for some pacs.

Really, toyman has the question, how are you gonna use boots. If you are out int he woods all day, you want the best you can afford. If you are just walking around town, or a hour or 2 shoveling, sorels are plenty good.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:28 PM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInIdaho View Post
My boots are from L.L. Bean. I've had them since, well, ten years at least. They keep my feet really dry but warm, not so much.

My husband has a pair of Whites along with about five other pairs of work boots including a pair of Sorels. The Whites belonged to his dad. When he died those were pretty much the only thing my husband wanted. Not that his father didn't have other nice things, but those boots are heirloom quality. He had them resoled a few years ago. The cobbler wanted to put some generic sole on them but my husband wasn't buying. Lucky he and his dad shared the same shoe size. Our son's feet are much bigger so if the Whites manage to last another 30 years I suppose my husband can be buried with them. Yes, I think he really does like them that much.
When I lived in snow country (WY and UT) I had two pairs of LL Bean Boots. One pair was for temperatures down to "0" degrees and I used those primarily in UT where it doesn't get as cold and on "warmer" WY winter days. The other pair was for temperatures down to around -30 degrees. That pair was great for cold WY winter weather and kept my feet warm and dry. I gave them to a friend when I had to move back to CA for a job transfer.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:00 PM

291 posts, read 669,622 times
I haven't priced them in years, but Sorel Caribou's have served me really well in Wyoming. Just buy an extra set of liners to rotate every day and your set. I imagine they don't cost $59.95 on sale anymore though.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:02 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
I have Sorel's but my husband has, and I really, really recommend: White's Boots in Spokane. They make incredible boots, snow and otherwise. My next pair will absolutely be White's.
www.whitesboots.com
You are sooo right about White's boots! They cost a small fortune but, in this case, you definitely get what you pay for. My ex was a USFS/BLM firefighter for over ten years and, probably, had three (maybe four) pairs of boots in that time. But that was because he liked to trade off frequently. The good thing was that he could send them back for a 'rebuild' every other year or so. And you KNOW he was rough on his boots out there in the woods, etc.. He also wore them all winter when he worked in logging. Great boots! Me, I have Sorels that I bought when we were in AK over ten years ago and I'm still wearing them. Although I have to admit, it doesn't get that bad, weatherwise, here in AZ. They mostly sit in the closet but when I DO decide to drive up the mountain to play in the snow they come in handy!

Old 12-18-2010, 06:01 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,105 times
Love my Sorels...I have the regular high top boots and also a pair of softer, low top Sorel boots for running errands and just out and about. Have tried others but always return to the Sorels.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:31 PM

107 posts, read 298,884 times
Misty, I didn't know that about Whites! Thank you. He'll probably need them to be rebuilt sometime in the not so distant future. Good to know!

Skelaki, L.L. Bean is a good company, I actually sort of grew up near where they are located in Maine and have friends and family who work for the company. I like their boots and they have some made in Maine products that are great. They've changed many of their practices over the years including shipping many jobs overseas, but it's hard to blame them in this economy. Still, you can't argue with their very generous return policy!

Old 12-22-2010, 09:25 PM
xdr3jq2cw

n/a posts
Thank you everyone, I had a blast reading about everyones great boot experiences. Wow, I have to say after reading on the Whites website, it seems like there is something for just about everyone who might want a pair of them for one thing or another. Fantastic.
I have an old, and I mean old pair of steel toe, made in USA, Sorels I bought at a thrift store about 5 years back. They are way too heavy for any kind of everyday use, however I think the new Sorels are not steel toe anymore. Thank for all of the input, kind regards and happy winter feet for all of you! Happy Christmas everyone!

Old 12-22-2010, 11:43 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,207 times
I'd kiss my Sorrels, but they have mud on them. Didn't wear them today, boy was that stupid. First time I had wet socks since last winter.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:38 PM

437 posts, read 815,849 times
My ex was a guide in Alaska for many years and he swore by these boots:

Schnee Insulated Pac Boots - Rubber Bottom Pac Boots

For a woman, I just got a pair of these and I love them:

Sorel Helen of Tundra Pac Boots - Insulated, Leather-Wool (For Women) - Save 30%

And many of the guys that snowmachine in Alaska wear Bunny boots. http://www.bunnyboots.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho