Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 05:31 PM

46 posts, read 100,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
Also too, Boise Airport is a cinch to fly in and out of. Flights will be less expensive than out of Idaho Falls or Twin Falls because it is a larger city. You can fly non-stop into ONT on Express Jet for $69 or somewhere around there. Having a larger airport is nice as you can have family and friends come to visit and it's still affordable.
Really? When I went to Disneyland it cost $800 for a family of four.
I must be in a different Boise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 05:50 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMom View Post
Really? When I went to Disneyland it cost $800 for a family of four.
I must be in a different Boise?
Ya, I know, seems too good to be true! Check out Express Jet and see what the ticket prices are. You have to look far enough out, like a few months or so. Any ticket will usually be higher if you don't plan far enough in advance. I think I got on a flight just when it was listed. I know the woman next to me paid $89 for her one way ticket. Not sure how long these prices will last and it is possible that they are doing it to attract new business but still what a great deal! I'm not sure I would have believed it had I not purchased the ticket myself!

My point in bringing it up was that I think you will find airline tkts to be less expensive out of Boise than Idaho Falls due to more people traveling out of this area.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:13 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,093,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Boise sits at the foot of mountains. Idaho Falls and Twin Falls have mountains nearby, but they are in the distance.

insahmniak, the whole Western US is probably under an air alert because of all of the wildfires everywhere. That is the reason Boise has an alert today, wildfire smoke carried in the atmosphere from other areas. Salt Lake City, Denver, Portland, and much smaller cities than Boise all have alerts today because of fires.
And I think you have a misconception about Nuclear power plants. They are cleaner and safer than most others, and the plant proposed for Idaho is still a decade away from being built if it even gets built. Many, many states are building coal power plants which pollute the air, but Idaho isn't building any.
Wind Energy is becoming the rage in Idaho as is the prospect of Geothermal Energy and Boise has tons of geothermal energy potential.
I very much agree with this post.

Idaho recently voted against Sempra, a huge San Diego based coal-burning power plant. I feel this is a huge victory, and sends a powerful message. Idaho does well investing in wind energy and hydroelectricity (though I'd like to see more of the former and less of the latter), but we're still a little reluctant on nuclear energy. I do hope we get over that fear and start investing in it.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:53 PM

136 posts, read 258,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
...Idaho's air quality was terrible for about a month last summer due to the wild fires all around us not just in the state of Idaho. Many areas have experienced the same issues as Idaho because of the same reasons. Bad air quality is not the norm here from my experience. It is something to be aware of, because Boise is near forest land and you will have a risk of smoke in the metro area if a major fire or fires are close by, but I wouldn't let that steer you away from considering Boise.
Treasure Valley is surrounded by national forest that is just getting drier and hotter and more fire-prone every year. The bad air is NOT just from fires. We've had bad air since early summer - before any fires were burning anywhere near us. Come clean. The horrible fire air is one thing. The increasingly consistent yellow and orange alert air (orange alert today!) is from growth and lack of Valley-wide emissions standards. The traffic congestion we have from all the growth really exacerbates the problem - all this backed up fossil-fuel burning no-emissions standard vehicles.

A study out of Boise State last year reported significantly increased incidents of respiratory illness and distress at local health care facilities within the first three days of a yellow alert. School nurses are reporting more asthmatic incidents. Schools kids are kept inside on dirty air days (thank goodness).

Look - I have absolutely no economic interest in telling the truth about Boise. I'm trying to help people not come into this area blindly, with this idea that Boise is this mecca of good health and outdoor living. It's absolutely not. It is a quagmire of traffic and bad air and is devoid of urban planning.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:02 PM

136 posts, read 258,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
...I do hope we get over that fear and start investing in [nuclear power].
Why oh WHY??!

There's a heck of a lot to fear about nuclear energy. Anyone remember Chernobyl? Ack! The mining is toxic. The spent fuel is a huge toxic problem. The cost is astounding. Why on earth do we want to go this way?

Fresno is going solar, with a huge solar farm in the works. Why not go clean? Where's the risk in that?!

See, this is exactly Idaho mentality: here and now, environment be Dammed!

Old 07-12-2007, 07:06 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insahmniak View Post
Why oh WHY??!

There's a heck of a lot to fear about nuclear energy. Anyone remember Chernobyl? Ack! The mining is toxic. The spent fuel is a huge toxic problem. The cost is astounding. Why on earth do we want to go this way?

Fresno is going solar, with a huge solar farm in the works. Why not go clean? Where's the risk in that?!

You are completely wrong. Idaho or an Idaho company is not wanting to build a nuclear power plant, but an out of state company wants to.
Idaho is getting into Wind Power big time. Boise is becoming one of the Greenest cities in the West because of Green buildings being built downtown and accross the valley. Have your facts straight before you classify a whole state as damning the environment. Your comment is offensive.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:12 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Quote:
Treasure Valley is surrounded by national forest that is just getting drier and hotter and more fire-prone every year. The bad air is NOT just from fires. We've had bad air since early summer - before any fires were burning anywhere near us. Come clean. The horrible fire air is one thing. The increasingly consistent yellow and orange alert air (orange alert today!) is from growth and lack of Valley-wide emissions standards. The traffic congestion we have from all the growth really exacerbates the problem - all this backed up fossil-fuel burning no-emissions standard vehicles.

A study out of Boise State last year reported significantly increased incidents of respiratory illness and distress at local health care facilities within the first three days of a yellow alert. School nurses are reporting more asthmatic incidents. Schools kids are kept inside on dirty air days (thank goodness).

Look - I have absolutely no economic interest in telling the truth about Boise. I'm trying to help people not come into this area blindly, with this idea that Boise is this mecca of good health and outdoor living. It's absolutely not. It is a quagmire of traffic and bad air and is devoid of urban planning.
Boise is an outdoor and health mecca. Any city this size is going to have bad air days on occasion especially a city built at the base of mountains. I have no economic interest either, but Boise is great, beautiful, and full of greenery and happy, healthy, smiling people. If you are unfortunate to live in the burbs, I live in downtown, you have to deal with the traffic. Boise has more parks than a lot of other cities, even more than larger cities can shake a stick at. The mountains with all of their recreational activities are very much a part of this cities lifestlye. Exaggeration is the way it is on this forum obviously.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:42 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,093,932 times
Quote:
Why oh WHY??!

Actually, you have me all wrong.

I'd prefer solar and wind power to anything else. I still have my concerns over geothermal power, but I certainly prefer nuclear power to hydroelectric or coal.

I'm not savvy on all the issues on nuclear power, but I do know it is (for the most part) clean power. I think meltdown fears are over-exaggerated, and Arco seems to doing just fine.

I do have concerns over what to do with the nuclear waste - I'd only support a nuclear power plant if that were correctly sorted out.

As the board's most vocal preacher of foresight, I hardly think I'm about the "here and now."

Old 07-12-2007, 07:47 PM

5 posts, read 40,905 times
Will thank you all for the insight we are going to be coming to Boise hopefully around December or January. I cant imagine the air quality or the traffic to be any thing near as bad as it is here....at least I would hope not. Is it true that Idaho Falls is also growing very quickly and thier are alot of job opportuntities in that area.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:18 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
Boise...the most "urban" of Idaho cities, and getting more and more so everyday. Housing: still affordable, but rising.

Twin Falls...no comment. Housing: affordable.

Idaho Falls....heavy mormon influence, great economic growth. Housing: afforable.

And don't forget Pocatello. Scenic, home to Idaho State, and growing. Housing: perhaps the best value in the state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho