Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 01:41 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saranshay View Post
I am trying to move out of Colorado because of the influx of liberal people here and the cold/snow. There aren't a whole lot of options other than super humid east or dry expensive west. Is Idaho as cold as the front range of colorado? Winter here is just so long Oct-May
The winters are about the same.

Colorado gets more of the arctic winds coming south, but Idaho gets all the Pacific winter winds first as they move east and eventually hit Colorado. With the climate changing so much, it's hard to predict how the winters will be in the future.

But since Idaho is high and on the northern border, I don't expect our winters will ever be consistently mild. All my life here, we get a mild winter now and then, but it's always followed by a colder than average winter pretty soon.

If you want dry and mild, you have to look farther south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 11:05 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Average highs in winter in Boise / Twin Falls are actually 7-8 degrees lower than Denver. A few more below zero days in Denver though. Another 10 degrees colder in Idaho Falls for highs in winter than Boise / Twin Falls.

The winter in the CO mountains lasts from October to May, but in Denver it averages 69 degrees for highs in May and 66 in October. Reaching 50 in March and still above that in November on average. Mornings are cool to cold but it usually ramps up.

For warmer, more conservative in the west, the options include Reno, Prescott AZ or Rio Rancho NM. Or spots in CA (Redding, Yuba City, some suburbs of Sacramento, Modesto) or most of Texas.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-11-2020 at 11:54 AM..

Old 06-11-2020, 06:39 AM

130 posts, read 213,576 times
Thank you for your responses. I figured Idaho might be cold. Ya go south and you are in the desert. I wished there was a happy medium. I guess that is why people have winter and summer homes! I was looking at Texas but most say it is either so humid or so hot?? I want to be able to be outside......
My search continues.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your responses. I figured Idaho might be cold. Ya go south and you are in the desert. I wished there was a happy medium. I guess that is why people have winter and summer homes! I was looking at Texas but most say it is either so humid or so hot?? I want to be able to be outside......
My search continues.
The happy medium does exist. It lies along the coasts where multi-millions of people live in it.

Old 06-11-2020, 10:46 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The happy medium does exist. It lies along the coasts where multi-millions of people live in it.
Where you will be paying through the roof to live, if home prices in Coastal SoCal are any indication.

Old 06-11-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Where you will be paying through the roof to live, if home prices in Coastal SoCal are any indication.
Well, yeah!
Lots of folks want to live in a climate that's always warm and sunny, where there's never any icy streets and bitter cold winter winds.

If SoCal wasn't such a nice climate to live in, there wouldn't be so many people living there and all the home prices would be as low as Idaho's.

Like I said, the happy medium doesn't exist. There's always a trade-off somewhere, no matter where a person chooses to live.

The choices often come down to what a person wants the least of, not the most of. There will always be a list of both.

Care needs to be taken in considering those lists.

Some things on those lists will change very quickly, and other things will never change at all.

That fact needs to be taken into thoughtful consideration.

For sure, it is easier to change your mind about a place to live before you move there than it is to change your mind after you have moved in.

Old 08-13-2020, 05:40 PM

403 posts, read 1,119,677 times
Quote:
My search continues.
I currently live in Colorado, and have lived in Texas twice. Other than about two months out of the year (August, and two weeks on either side), I find Texas heat and humidity to be quite doable.

Either will wax and wane depending on if it's an el nino or la nina year. But regardless, most of the time, the weather's quite nice, and much better than Colorado. Your mileage may vary.

Old 08-13-2020, 05:45 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Well, yeah!
Lots of folks want to live in a climate that's always warm and sunny, where there's never any icy streets and bitter cold winter winds.

If SoCal wasn't such a nice climate to live in, there wouldn't be so many people living there and all the home prices would be as low as Idaho's.

Like I said, the happy medium doesn't exist. There's always a trade-off somewhere, no matter where a person chooses to live.

The choices often come down to what a person wants the least of, not the most of. There will always be a list of both.

Care needs to be taken in considering those lists.

Some things on those lists will change very quickly, and other things will never change at all.

That fact needs to be taken into thoughtful consideration.

For sure, it is easier to change your mind about a place to live before you move there than it is to change your mind after you have moved in.
I am more in tuned to the opposite with less sun with cooler weather like Seattle, Wash., SF, CA. but somewhere in Idaho instead

Old 08-13-2020, 05:46 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
My search continues.
Texas is just too hot. Plus they get hurricanes.

Old 08-26-2020, 02:00 PM

130 posts, read 213,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusian_Artist View Post
I currently live in Colorado, and have lived in Texas twice. Other than about two months out of the year (August, and two weeks on either side), I find Texas heat and humidity to be quite doable.

Either will wax and wane depending on if it's an el nino or la nina year. But regardless, most of the time, the weather's quite nice, and much better than Colorado. Your mileage may vary.
Where did you live in Texas? I don't mind some humidity. I have been to Houston and that was terrible! That kind of humidity and heat sucks the life out of ya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho