Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 07:29 PM

5 posts, read 20,542 times

Advertisements

My family is considering a move to Idaho in the next few months. We currently live in Anchorage, Alaska. I like having a "big" city close by, but like the feel of the small town. What can anyone tell me about Post Falls. I am interested in the schools, as I have four children. I currently homeschool, because I think Anchorage schools are quite poor.

K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 03:46 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,797,863 times
Post Falls is not a small town in any sense of the word. It's a nice bedroom community, more like a suburb along with CdA. Not saying don't move there, but saying don't expect Mayberry RFD...more like soccer moms and subdivisions. (and no, I'm not slamming soccer moms...I'm a soccer dad myself...but you get my point)

Old 07-13-2007, 06:41 PM

No, I wasn't wanting Mayberry, by small I meant under 50,000. Does anyone have info on which schools are good, ones to avoid, etc? What about local churches? I am a basketball mom by the way.

Last edited by Irma Schnerd; 07-13-2007 at 06:59 PM..

Old 07-13-2007, 08:38 PM

180 posts, read 745,644 times
Irma:
I live in Post Falls, and although I don't have children in school (both grown) I understand from neighbors/friends that have gradeschool and highschool children, that the schools are excellent. Lots of extra cirricular activities, smaller classes, and SUPER teachers. In fact I have a close friend that is a middle-school teacher!!

I also have friends that Homeschool (one family has 3 children, the other family 9 kids) If you'd like more information on Idaho requirements for homeschooling, PM me and I'll get you e-mail addresses for them.

To give you a better idea about living here, I live within 4 minutes of the 'town' of Post Falls, where there are good grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations, Les Schwab, banks etc. I look out my living room window to see 400 acres of farm land planted in mint (smells WONDERFUL this time of year!) with a backdrop of mountains .... this is to the North of me. To the South is my 10 acres, with the adjoining 5 acres parcels also with a backdrop of mountains across the prairie. I am 20 minutes to major shopping ...Home Depot, Lowes, Malls, extremely good medical care, (however there are great 'immediate care' facilities here in PF as well).

I agree with Sage, that we are kind of like a 'bedroom community' to Coeur d' Alene and Spokane, but where I am is 'definately country' ..... yet close to everything.

Hope you get up this way for a visit!! (if you haven't already been here!!)

PacaLady

Old 07-15-2007, 07:14 PM

So, I have been reading lots of comments about Idaho in the forum, and have seen many negative remarks regarding the schools. Poor funding, low teacher salary, lack of curriculum standards just to name a few. As I have said, previously, I homeschool because I think Anchorage schools have much to be desired. But I would really like for my kids to go to public school. Are the comments I have read true?

Old 07-15-2007, 11:21 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,797,863 times
Idaho SAT scores are above the national average, but I noted with interest that FEWER students (by percentage of total HS students enrolled) actually took the SAT test. I know our schools in Sandpoint and Sagle are very good (for public schools), but we homeschool as we're following the classical method with latin and logic and such even for the little ones....just our personal preference.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:57 AM

51 posts, read 177,522 times
Hi Irma, Just a thought about homeschool vs. public schools (or private)--My kids are all grown now, but were all homeschooled for at least a few years (9 years total homeschool teaching for me). As you must know from experience, homeschool is what you make of it, and kids can be as busy with extracurricular activities (science fairs, history fairs, track and field day events, music and sports teams/classes...you name it, you can find or initiate it and do it!) Academic integrity is the same; it can be highly structured and accountable, informal and tactile, or anything inbetween. But the public school system is partly what you make of it (involvement with the teacher or classroom, etc.) and partly almost the luck of the draw. There are "good" teachers and "bad" teachers (or good or bad schools); in my opinion, this has more to do with the rapport between your child and the teacher. That can run the whole gambit between wonderful and horrific! The learning is the goal, but it's also the offshoot of that rapport. Sometimes it can be helped and sometimes not. (The student relationships are another...very long...story!)

If I could, I would have liked to raised my kids in a much smaller and saner community than the Phoenix metro area. Still, your home and family life are what they will walk away with when the time comes, and that's something that you can give them in any size (or degree of sanity ) town!

I hope you can find the answers you're looking for with regard to the schools in certain areas. I just never did.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:08 AM

Eyetech,

Thanks for your info. I totally agree. My initial reason for homeschooling was due to the fact that everytime I visited my childrens' classrooms I found them watching movies, having "free time" or some other non-educational activity. It seemed like a waste of time to send them to school, only to have them bring home a bunch of homework.

I realize that a school is what you make of it, but sometimes there isn't much to work with. I am hoping we find a place to raise our kids where a quality education is available.

Irma

Old 07-19-2007, 09:30 AM

51 posts, read 177,522 times
That's terrible! I had no idea that that could go on in the schools. There are probably as many horror stories as praises, but I'm glad that parents still have the option to parent--and make the ultimate decisions for their children's educations.
I applaud your involvement and concern. I'd love to hear how it turns out for you and your kids.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:06 PM

802 posts, read 636,312 times
My BIL is a teacher/coach at Post Falls High School. Both nephews graduated there and, I believe, got a good education. One is a Washington State Trooper now.
My 26-year-old was educated in Coeur d'Alene and got an excellent education. Put himself through college and is now putting himself through law school at Gonzaga University.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho