Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 06:52 PM

105 posts, read 446,084 times

Advertisements

I have some free time to travel anywhere around Idaho; and I enjoy seeing quirky roadside attractions (meeting locals, learning history, photography, etc.) I have about 4 weeks set aside to travel. I have already seen the big potato in Blackfoot; and I already know to see the Miner's Hat up North. I recently serviced the air conditioner in my car; so I am all set. Where should I go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 10:59 PM

445 posts, read 1,328,292 times
Default Unusual Idaho Attractions

Hey silvermountain,

Have you been to the Enaville Resort? This historic landmark (well over 100 years old) is about thirty miles from Coeur d'Alene. Take Interstate Route 90 east from Coeur d'Alene and turn north at Kingston on Forest Route 9. The "resort" is about a mile off I90 at the town of Enaville.

In earlier years it was a BIG attraction for miners and loggers. It was a bar, a hotel, a house of ill repute, and a railroad layover, with names like Josies and the Snakepit. It may be closed. I haven't been there for a few years, but remember it as like walking back into a time warp.

For strange and unusual attractions, check out Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions and type Idaho into the search browser. For small town local events and visiting with the locals, check out YOUR BEST IDAHO INFORMATION SOURCE, THE IDAHO INSIDER.

If today is any indication (in the 90's here in Sandpoint), you'll need that air conditioner to be in tiptop shape. Have fun and have a safe trip.

pimit2 (bob)

Old 07-04-2007, 11:32 PM

134 posts, read 603,565 times
The Snakepit is still there. It is a great place to go after a day of tubing on the North fork of the Coeur d'Alene River.

Order some "Idaho Nachos" ...

Old 07-05-2007, 09:52 AM

41 posts, read 169,521 times
Scenic Byways

I just found this site in the Idaho Statesman today. I don't know about quirky, but it shows some nice drives to take throughout the state.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:16 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times
I don't know that I'd call it quirky but I enjoyed the World Center for Birds of Prey in Boise when I visited.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:12 PM

993 posts, read 3,252,040 times
Be sure and go to Banbury Hot springs in Buhl and take the tour boat and see the Thousand Springs pouring out of the cliffs into the Snake river.
Leaves at 1pm daily

Old 07-05-2007, 04:53 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,221 times
I have heard of an old polygamist LDS ghost town in Eastern Idaho that is close to Pocatello. I cannot remember its name though, but have wanted to check it out.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:25 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I have heard of an old polygamist LDS ghost town in Eastern Idaho that is close to Pocatello. I cannot remember its name though, but have wanted to check it out.
Chesterfield?

Old 07-09-2007, 02:21 PM

25 posts, read 117,341 times
Check out the City of Rocks south of Burley (and visit the town of Oakley...not much there but they do have interesting locals), and there's a spot in between American Falls and Pocatello where a bunch of pioneers signed a rock on the trek west. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's called "Signature Rock" but I may be way way off on that one :P

Old 07-10-2007, 12:10 AM

445 posts, read 1,328,292 times
Default City of Rocks

City of Rocks National Reserve, operated by the National Park Service, is a remarkable attraction. The Reserve is located 83 miles northwest of Twin Falls, near the town of Almo. It is a popular site for hiking, rock climbing, horseback riding, biking and a great spot for a picnic. It includes a State Park which just completed and opened a new, additional campground.

Some of the City of Rocks monoliths are more than 60 stories high. These incredible granite rocks are 2.5 million years old.

The imigrants (pioneers on the California Trail in the mid-1800's) wrote on several rocks throughout the "city". These signature rocks have names like Camp Rock and Register Rock. This early graffiti was done using axle grease.

pimit2 (Bob)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho