U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 11:19 AM

5 posts, read 31,998 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to Idaho Falls or Pocatello and have worked in customer service/call centers for a few years.

Does anyone know what other customer service companies might be in either location? Do they have a good work environment?

Do people commute between Pocatello and Idaho Falls? I've heard that some people may live in one, but for a good wage drive to the other? Is that true?

I'm trying to also understand what the job environment is like for benefits and wages...does anyone know if good health care benefits are hard to find? Is this what makes it worth driving between the two towns or do people do it for other reasons?

Thanks for all your help! This will be a crazy move coming from Arizona, but I'm looking forward to the change!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 02:04 PM

4,918 posts, read 16,915,217 times
Qwest, the phone company for this region has call centers in both IF and Pocatello. I believe Convergence has one in Pocatello and I know the IF Qwest center is expanding from the last I heard. There is another one in IF whose name escapes me right now and they are pretty good size. HA! Center Partners is the name of the other one.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:25 PM

1,378 posts, read 5,887,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Qwest, the phone company for this region has call centers in both IF and Pocatello. I believe Convergence has one in Pocatello and I know the IF Qwest center is expanding from the last I heard. There is another one in IF whose name escapes me right now and they are pretty good size. HA! Center Partners is the name of the other one.
Are you thinking of Dell maybe? I seem to recall that for some reason.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:29 PM

4,918 posts, read 16,915,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
Are you thinking of Dell maybe? I seem to recall that for some reason.
No, the Dell Call Center is in Twin Falls. Unless they are adding on to Idaho Falls?

Old 07-13-2007, 06:39 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,701,101 times
I live in Pocatello, and work in a business that markets to Idaho Falls. The two cities are quite different, and feel quite different in my opinion. Pocatello feels more like a western town, IF feels more midwest to me. Both have their positives...Pocatello is somewhat more scenic (mountains pretty much surround the town), and is slightly warmer. IF is much bigger from an economic standpoint, and has all the chains you can find in larger cities. A good example, When Macy's took over The Bon Marche, they kept the IF store and closed the Pocatello store. And Idaho State gives Pocatello a college-vibe. LDS influence is high in both, but I believe stronger in IF.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:39 AM

8,440 posts, read 12,235,453 times
Center Partners is a very large call center who has about 800 employees working in Idaho Falls. It's very difficult to know at any time for how many major companies they are performing the call center duties. Another major company was added in late May or June and may necessitate building a new building, as it is estimated about 200 people will be needed to work on this contract.

There are a couple of other locally owned call centers to, for local business. However, Center Partners has become a major employer in Idaho Falls with nearly 1,000 jobs.

I agree with pw72 that Pocatello and Idaho Falls are quite different and feel quite different. Idaho Falls has some pretty mountains to the east, not right in the middle of town like Pocatello.

Overall, I believe pw72 has summed some quick facts up accurately.

(Nice post pw72)

Old 07-16-2007, 11:05 AM

1,378 posts, read 5,887,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
No, the Dell Call Center is in Twin Falls. Unless they are adding on to Idaho Falls?
That's right it's in Twin Falls, I couldn't remember.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:19 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,235,453 times
Post Some Resources, Other Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by beattyk15 View Post
I'm looking to move to Idaho Falls or Pocatello and have worked in customer service/call centers for a few years.

Does anyone know what other customer service companies might be in either location? Do they have a good work environment?

Do people commute between Pocatello and Idaho Falls? I've heard that some people may live in one, but for a good wage drive to the other? Is that true?

I'm trying to also understand what the job environment is like for benefits and wages...does anyone know if good health care benefits are hard to find? Is this what makes it worth driving between the two towns or do people do it for other reasons?

Thanks for all your help! This will be a crazy move coming from Arizona, but I'm looking forward to the change!
beattyk15,

I apologize, I forgot to answer a couple more of your questions.

People do commute between Pocatello and Idaho Falls. Mostly, though, those who commute are ISU students from the Idaho Falls area who can't get all the classes they need at ISU - Idaho Falls (! -major source of frustration for many) and take a bus to Pocatello a few days/week.

To me, it says a lot that about 3,000 students stay in the Idaho Falls area and even commute 100 miles round trip, instead of living in Pocatello. Of course, each have their own reasons for choosing this option. However, the one comment I've heard repeatedly is there are so many more jobs for students in Idaho Falls. Also, with the U. of Idaho also offering classes, many classes for Masters and Ph.D classes are actually easier to take in Idaho Falls (as the U. of Idaho specifically came in years ago at the request of INL to establish Ph.D programs for many at INL who needed or wanted to get those degrees).

Other, non-students commute too. Some live more in the middle around the Blackfoot area, but that wouldn't be my first choice if I had a choice.

Center Partners, as I understand it from those who have or currently do work there, starts at all sorts of wages, depending on the need of the contract. Speaking a foreign language and contracts that require skills such as a foreign language or other, pay more. Also, the last I heard there are incentive programs and bonuses.

I've heard of many couples who have one work at Center Partners, even if it is a lowering paying job (like a contract that requires no special computer skills, computer knowledge or foreign languages, compared to other contracts), simply for the good health insurance. I've heard NO complaints from these employees and their families about their health insurance.

I don't know anything about benefits beyond the health insurance, except I think there is a pay differential for various shifts. This is the link for Center Partners: Welcome to Center Partners where you can learn more. You can see the listing for available positions in Idaho Falls currently. Center Partners also has a call center in northern ID in Post Falls, as well as their original CO location.

This is the general link to jobs in ID listed through Job Service: The Official Website of IdahoWorks

Cleosmom is right about Qwest having a large Call Center in Idaho Falls and a smaller one in Pocatello. I am not positive at this point, if Qwest in Idaho Falls is a stand alone, or still a part of Center Partners.

Currently, per the Idaho State Journal, in Pocatello, in either May or June publication 2007, 19% of the residents do not have any form of health insurance. If you look at the info on City-Data, you can see the average income is higher in Idaho Falls than Pocatello, but the houses cost more too - on the average. However, that doesn't mean that there aren't different options for housing that are more affordable in Idaho Falls as well.

I hope this information is useful.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:39 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,701,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Center Partners is a very large call center who has about 800 employees working in Idaho Falls. It's very difficult to know at any time for how many major companies they are performing the call center duties. Another major company was added in late May or June and may necessitate building a new building, as it is estimated about 200 people will be needed to work on this contract.

There are a couple of other locally owned call centers to, for local business. However, Center Partners has become a major employer in Idaho Falls with nearly 1,000 jobs.

I agree with pw72 that Pocatello and Idaho Falls are quite different and feel quite different. Idaho Falls has some pretty mountains to the east, not right in the middle of town like Pocatello.

Overall, I believe pw72 has summed some quick facts up accurately.

(Nice post pw72)
Thanks, mountain states resident! Appreciate your kind words.

Pocatello is somewhat less costly from a residential standpoint, no doubt.

Blackfoot is interesting. Once a very "backwater" small town, I think we are starting to see a lot more growth in this area. New upper-middle class homes are going up just north of town. Might be a natural growth-area between Idaho Falls and Pocatello. I think this area may look quite different in the next couple of decades.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:49 PM

121 posts, read 703,022 times
Qwest has excellent benefits as well. Unfortunately, they recently did a massive pay scale cut for all new hires (I heard from a family member it was 50 percent or more) so don't expect a great wage. I guess they think they can get away with this due to the good benefit package. And it's Idaho. Many employers around here INCLUDING the Idaho National Lab are starting to shaft their employees big time. Better economy = lower wages and benefits?!?! I just don't get it. If I were any younger I'd probably be moving out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho