Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 02:18 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times

Advertisements

LSW, I was off on the elevation of Mullan, it's up around 3250. How about Wallace? Wallace, Idaho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I really like the town, it's adjacent to a lot of national forest land, and has a neat, old fashioned down town.

Now you ask about work

Coeur d'Alene and Sandpoint are larger cities and offer more chances for work. However, they are both well down in valleys and winters aren't as long as you said you'd like.

Like everywhere else, the economy in NID is in rough shape. Your variety of skills should help. Your husband's skills as a diesel mechanic may serve him well in alot of the smaller communities, there is still some amount of logging going on. Just the same, getting established will be tough. Come on out and take a look on vacation.

Bests of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 04:15 PM

420 posts, read 1,193,771 times
You need to come look and see during the winter and make up your mind that way.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:17 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
One of the guys on our fencing crew is a diesel mechanic. Jobs are hard to find most places up here right now.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:26 PM

5 posts, read 20,928 times
Thank you so much for all the info!

Mistyriverranch, where in Idaho is your cabin located at? Ive seen it in other threads.

How about cost of living? whats that like over there?

Old 12-22-2010, 07:28 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonster25 View Post
Thank you so much for all the info!

Mistyriverranch, where in Idaho is your cabin located at? Ive seen it in other threads.

We live in the Priest River/Priest Lake area in north Idaho.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:17 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,838,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSnowyWinters View Post
Thank you so much, thats exactly what we are looking for. Do you know any specific towns? I hear Sandpoint has beautiful weather. Not exactly sure how big the town is. I hope there are some areas that are a bit more secluded away from the main "town" but not over 30-40 minutes drive into town where grocery stores, schools, etc would be. I guess what im saying is, we dont like the whole apartment thing where our neighbors would be like 2 ft away, we would like more privacy.

I appreciate sooo much all of your help!

any more ideas would still be very much big help to us.

Also, what are the jobs like out there? I am a dog groomer and have been doing it for over 5 years and my husband is a light duty diesel mechanic, fixing tractors and the like, also very good with fixing computers. Do you think it would be dificult to find jobs?

Thanks!
We're just 13 miles from town, and we're in a heavily forested area of 10-75 acre properties, with bear, cougar, deer, elk, moose, wild turkey, etc. You don't have to get far from town before it gets VERY quiet and remote. Remember, Schweitzer is just 8 miles away too...

Old 12-23-2010, 08:24 AM

18 posts, read 37,816 times
I grew up in the Priest Lake / Priest River area - lived there for about 15 years... I would say that area would work for your needs somewhat. If you can go a little higher on your elevation limit (to 5000 ft) you might also look at McCall. I have lived there for the past 15 years. If you want LONG COLD and SNOWY winters you would love it. Those winters along with little work for me is why I am moving south. While I eventually hated the winters in both places - the summers were/are paradise.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:20 AM

382 posts, read 1,033,079 times
Um whats wrong with California? You can move to Tahoe it has snow in the exact times you want it. And you could move to the Nevada side of the lake. There is Bishop Cali its a nice little place. Or how about Sierra Ville great little town in Cali. Or maybe Chester would be nice too and Lake Almanor is close by. Or maybe Quincy it's a nice little place too. I am confused by people talking about how crowded California is because I have been to some places in that state that are remote and offer everything we have to offer here but it's just down there. There are loads of places in California that would fit the bill. For some reason it has to be Idaho? No where in Idaho offers what you are looking for snow wise.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:23 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay View Post
There is Bishop Cali its a nice little place.
Bishop only gets a few dustings a year, if that (averages 7.5 inches/yr).

http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/climatenorm.../ca/040822.pdf

Old 12-23-2010, 11:28 AM

382 posts, read 1,033,079 times
Yes but it is such a beautiful place just full of trees and wildlife. And it is away from the hustle and bustle. My original suggestion of Alaska was spot on. It offers everything they wanted. And if you really want to get technical every place I suggested was above three thousand feet in Cali. Just trying to save them some moving costs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho