Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 03:30 PM

901 posts, read 2,386,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
Yep...but she doesn't want to go below 3000 feet. Not sure why though..trying to pick a place by being so specific about elevation could be tough.
No, actually she doesn't want to go ABOVE 3000'.

And you're right - the UP of Michigan is gorgeous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 03:37 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSnowyWinters View Post
We have gone up to 3,500ft now, so we are excited about looking into other places, not just below 3,000ft.
Oops..transposed "not" and "just". My bad...carry on.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:49 PM

7 posts, read 14,532 times
Apparently im not making myself clear.

What i meant in the original question about nothing over 3,000ft was because I wasnt sure if I could handle any elevation over that. That was "BEFORE" we started going up the mountain we currently live on to see how far I can handle, we reached a little over 3,500ft. We feel that NOW we have more options, because we dont have to stay below 3,000ft. Im not going strictly by elevation at all, it was just a major concern for me because about a year ago I started to feel faint and short of breath when we reached 2,000ft, Again, that was "BEFORE" and now I can Handle higher elevations, we would like to know about places of ALL ELEVATIONS be they low or high as long as they dont go passed maybe 3,500-4,000ft?

As for the snow, we dont mind either way, wether there is some or a lot, ORIGNALLY i wanted a lot of snow and was focused on an area that could provide a lot of it, but now thinking more about it, we dont mind wether we get atleast some or a lot like stated earlier. I love snow and have been around it and know what its like.

I like mountains there is enough hills here in Ca. We actually live on a mountain, not too high of elevation, and like i mentioned, we are open to suggestions which is why I originally came to these forums to ask them. If you know of places that arent so mountaneous and still have some snow and Lots of wildlife we would still definetly look into those areas as well.

Basically what i mean is please let us know what you suggest in Northern IDAHO, not other states.

I understand that people from CA arent seen with too kind of eyes but I like to think of me and my family as NON ca people because we live in the mountains, and the nearest town is about 40 minutes away. (plus im french and spanish) so im not an air headed blond.

All of suggestions are appreciated and would love to see pictures of areas you all suggest.

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2011, 06:58 PM

901 posts, read 2,386,239 times
@LuvSnowyWinters - I sure hope you don't feel as though we were treating you like you were stupid. I think we were just trying to understand a bit better and to help you. I hope you're able to find a great spot in northern Idaho where you can find happiness and live a peaceful life! Take care.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:59 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSnowyWinters View Post
Apparently im not making myself clear.

What i meant in the original question about nothing over 3,000ft was because I wasnt sure if I could handle any elevation over that.
Not handle it how?

The state I live in has 5,000,000+ people within its borders, and the lowest elevation in the entire state is 3300 ft. And half of it is flat farmland with no mountains in sight, where you would never know you were "high up".

Most people, barring altitude sickness (which usually only occurs above 8,000 ft), are just fine at higher altitudes after a week or so of acclimation. I live at 5554 ft, and I, my wife, and kids have never felt a darn thing in regards to the altitude here (we are all native-Californians as well).

Your 2,000 foot experience might have been a combination of exertion and dehydration, in combination with regularly being at a very low altitude. I think you'll be fine anywhere after acclimating.

I think anywhere north of the Lewiston dropoff would be good for you. Good luck!

Old 01-03-2011, 08:16 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,923,786 times
When we moved to Idaho I had altitude troubles like you said for a few weeks is all and then I adjusted. I just had to take it slow. We went from 900 foot to 5280+.

Midvale has a lot of snow about 2600 ft with a summit to cross at 3300 but only for a few minutes coming up to it then right back down. We are 5 minutes from the base of the mountains and there are trees around but not like CDL. Employment about nil. Maybe 20 miles away. Small town. Several places for sale here on the cheep. some bare land too if you are into building. We are considered high desert. But the pine trees are close. There is hunting fishing and a river runs right through town.

I think there is a link to Midvale in my profile.

Guess the link is not there so here it is.
http://www.midvaleidaho.com/

Old 01-03-2011, 09:52 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
...Most people, barring altitude sickness (which usually only occurs above 8,000 ft), are just fine at higher altitudes after a week or so of acclimation.
I'll second this, I grew up around 700 ft above sea level. The first hike I took out of Coeur d'Alene I was huffing and puffing in no time. After a few days, no problem.

The more I follow your thread, the more I think most any small town in N. ID will suit your desires. Best thing you can do is come out on vacation and see what appeals to you. Priest Lake (remote), Priest River, Sandpoint, Bonners Ferry, Kellogg, Wallace, Clark Fork, St. Maries etc, all are nice. If you like real remote, and can handle a 50 mile one-way drive to even a modest sized grocery store, Avery is in a beautiful area.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:07 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
I use to live at 8000 feet. You acclimate in a very short time.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:29 AM

7 posts, read 14,532 times
Thank you all for understanding and the wonderful suggestions, and im glad to see im not the only one who had a bit of trouble in moderate to higher altitudes.

I will definetly look into all the areas suggested!

So as far as jobs go, how is the situation in Idaho around the areas mentioned?

Thanks everyone!

Old 01-13-2011, 05:18 AM

9 posts, read 38,719 times
Wallace Id Mullan, or Coeur D Alene. We are looking at theese citys ourselves.
Also West Yellowstone MT Big Sky or Sun Valley Id.
We moved to Missoula (no snow ) hate it ! Storms always go around it and bypass. Got some this year but nothing to write home about. Lost trail Pass recieves over 300". Ski`ng there and great places to bike ride > Trail of the Coeur D Alene and Haiwatha. Valdez AK is my dream city but too expensive cost of living and the move there. I am from Mi the upper Penn is beautyful. Looked real hard at Marquette but housing to expensive because it is a college town.
Blue Canyon CA near Donners pass recieves over 300 in each year and sets records and close by Tahoe. Heavenly is awsome. Have you looked at Truckee - really nice too > Lived in CA for a while too expensive. However in an El Ninio year Mammoth, Tahoe and Squaw set records. Mt Baker Wa has set records with near 1000 in but you cant live there and the nearest city "Glacier" not high enough for great snow. So far this year Lost trail,pass and Big Sky have been getting pounded. We are leaning in that direction. Hope all this helps !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho